Guide Tactics

192 replies to this topic

#61 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:59 AM

Have a suggestion for yet another flanking fail comic.

Was in a game all the lights and mediums just rush across the map in a wide circle so the came at the enemy from the side while leaving the fat mechs far behind. After the predictable team stomp I asked why they rushed a head and got the reply that they were flanking while we the fat guys just hid behind a hill. It isn't the first time I've seen this happen though it's the first time anyone admitted to "flanking".

So how a about a comic where the smaller mech rush away in a circle to "flank" while the big mechs is far far behind wondering where the smaller ones got to before the stomp for fail.
And one where the big mechs first engage the enemy before the smaller ones runs around to bring home the point that you can only flank a previously engage enemy.

#62 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hmm, got a couple of ideas.
  • Setting up ambushes:

Good ambush: team has a scout or two reporting enemy positions and movement. Possibly has another scout being a squirrel and baiting the enemy team to come for him (likely baiting light lance in). Ally team sets up firing lines in blind spots behind terrain, and alphas the poor sod coming in behind the squirrel.

Bad ambush: team has no scouts reporting enemy positions and movement. Sets up firing line in open terrain, maybe behind one or two tall rocks or buildings. Enemy team scouts spot them without being spotted, proceeds to flank as the red team keeps waiting on their ambush target path. Red team gets wrecked because their ambush got flanked.
  • Missile support
    Good missile support: finds a place where he has the good amount of cover, with good firing lines to most of the map. Stays close enough to the team that lights and mediums can come to help if he gets rushed by lights. Knows not to fire missiles at enemies close to tall cover.
    Bad missile support: Uses teammates for cover, or uses cover which has poor firing lines to most of the map, or just one possible target. Continues to fire missiles into walls or tall cover, or at extreme ranges. Often hangs back too far and gets assassinated by enemy lights.

#63 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostSereglach, on 27 October 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

This is phenomenal, despite the simplicity of it. You manage to outline some very solid, yet simple, tactics that people should be paying attention to in both PUG and Group Queues. Excellent work; and I look forward to seeing it continue to grow.

These are simply amazing - and so simple too. It would go a long way for new players to review these over and over.. ..perhaps even if PGI added something like this to the loading screen to encourage players to well... ...play well.

I have a couple more ideas for the OP;

- Shooting down UAVS (something that is not done nearly enough)
- Actually checking for UAV's
- Strategic placement of UAV's
- Light sniping/and/or flankings

#64 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

New comic! A rather simple one this time on how to handle a wolfpack.

Spoiler

Thanks for all the suggestions. Three chokepoint comics are coming after this one, and at least 1 ambush comic is in the pipeline.

#65 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 02 November 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

These are simply amazing - and so simple too. It would go a long way for new players to review these over and over.. ..perhaps even if PGI added something like this to the loading screen to encourage players to well... ...play well.

Another thing I love about the simplicity and quality of them is the fact that they don't make it look like perfect play is going to result in no friendlies going down. Frankly, I only see that happen extremely rarely (as much as people scream about stomps, they're not that common). In a solid push you may lose some of your mechs, or it may even come down to a really close game if both teams are playing correctly. Friendly losses happen, and players shouldn't be given the illusion that they'll never go down if they play right.

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 02 November 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

I have a couple more ideas for the OP;

- Shooting down UAVS (something that is not done nearly enough)
- Actually checking for UAV's
- Strategic placement of UAV's
- Light sniping/and/or flankings

Flanking maneuvers are covered, and so are wolf-packs. Really these premises apply no matter what weight class you're in. I think the basics of sniping could be covered, but once you get into the nuances of advanced strategy . . . you've then overstepped the bounds of these comics teachings of elementary strategy (and turning people into Modern Major Generals).

UAV spotting and shooting down might be coverable, but proper placement you can't cover with comics like this (as much as I wish they could). Proper placement of a UAV really is dependent on map, enemy locations, high grounds, and whether the enemy actually has people paying attention. There are far too many factors to cover in these comics. It's something that really requires practice and inherent knowledge of the maps and enemies.

Also, what some people consider "good" placement really isn't all that great. Scanning the whole team might be great for your xp gains, but if you KNOW that the enemy is going to shoot it down within 5-10 seconds (barely long enough to get your xp and cbill gains), then your UAV actually failed. The purpose is to give solid and consistent intelligence over enemy movements and positioning, as well as targeting locks, over an area, for a lasting period of time.

Granted, I use LOTS of UAVs for that exact xp gain purpose when grinding mechs, but they're tactically failed UAVs nonetheless. However, when someone says "LRM boat here, get locks, please" then I make sure to not squander my UAV; but my ability to do so has come from a great deal of trial and error and experience (and even then sometimes the enemy just has someone with eyes like a hawk).

Again, as much as I wish these comics could actually teach how to use a UAV effectively, I don't think they really can. Spotting and shooting down is one thing (and I think it's a great idea), but proper use is another entirely.

EDIT: Let me add that my statements about UAV's are in regards to their use for scouting and spotting purposes, which I believe is the suggestion by White Bear (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are LOTS of UAV uses that can be applied to various other scenarios (as shown in the comic just posted by the OP).

Edited by Sereglach, 02 November 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#66 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 27 October 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

P.S. This is not yet complete. I will add more comics when I am able.

Great job... +1 to this being an official MWO guide, with animation!

#67 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostSereglach, on 02 November 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

EDIT: Let me add that my statements about UAV's are in regards to their use for scouting and spotting purposes, which I believe is the suggestion by White Bear (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are LOTS of UAV uses that can be applied to various other scenarios (as shown in the comic just posted by the OP).

Yup, I was thinking scouting and spotting purposes, but I am thinking mostly along the lines of "holy crap, are these guys cheating cuz im getting lrm'd behind cover", "Oh its a uav.." kinda situation. Or where you get seismic and communicate over comms, but the team remains oblivious to say, a flank and you need to place one in order for the team to spot their impending doom.. etc etc etc.

I mean, if you get one placed behind the enemy team that is great - kudos for not being spotted in the process; and this is also situational based on maps.. ..but yeah, too many times see uavs go up and watch as the team just let's themselves get shot to death by lrms, or flanked without realising.

I think there is some importance in finding a way to visualise how this works, so players know what to check for and when etc etc.. ..for example, light runs up to a team, almost suicidal - takes a few shots and runs off.. ..chances *sometimes* are they placed UAV directly above the team, but all too often this goes unnoticed.

So there is also countering UAV's, having at least one player in the rear that can spot uavs go up etc etc...

Edited by White Bear 84, 02 November 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#68 QuulDrah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAachen

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

This needs to be stickied...

Can you do one stressing the importance of 'R'?

No 'R':
- One mech sees enemy, fires some ER Large Ls, and wonders why noone reacts from his team.
- On the minimap, one of your teams runs in tiny circles for no apparent reason? *shrugs* just enjoying the landscape 360*
With 'R': (better yet, UAV)
- Team sees read blip on minimap, comes to help/fires some LRMs.

On the receiving side: missiles out of nowhere? no red in sight? check the skies!

Or similar

Edited by QuulDrah, 03 November 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#69 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

Smart comic! Well done!

#70 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

New comic! It's the first in a series about chokepoints.

Spoiler

Sereglach, White Bear 84, at least 1 UAV comic is in my to-do list, though it may be a while before it comes out. It will be about where and when to/not to pop a uav (behind and close to an enemy, to reveal a flanking attack, and just before a brawl).

#71 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 03 November 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

*snip*

Excellent new addition. Keep them coming. Only fair warning on the UAV one . . . try not to get into too complex or abstract of situations, or newer players may feel overwhelmed. Awesome to see you're tackling every concept you can get your hands on, though.

#72 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

this needs to be pinned. NAO.

#73 Zainadin

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Location5o Cal

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'd love to see a comic of how to enter the center of Terra Therma. Basically a good example of a door breach and a fail or two like; stopping in the doorway, clearing corners, spacing, firing angles and other common mistakes.

#74 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

New comic! Second one of the chokepoint series, on how to push a guarded chokepoint:

Spoiler

View PostZainadin, on 04 November 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'd love to see a comic of how to enter the center of Terra Therma. Basically a good example of a door breach and a fail or two like; stopping in the doorway, clearing corners, spacing, firing angles and other common mistakes.

I don't have any plans on doing map-specific comics as yet. Terra Therma is a strange case though. Usually the best option you have if the enemy already has the center is not to force a breach on one chokepoint, but use 2 or more entrances to put the enemy in a crossfire, trick the enemy into guarding one chokepoint then pushing the other, or lure the enemy out into an ambush. I have comics on feints and ambushes in my todo list, I'll probably mention Terra Therma there.

Edited by fat4eyes, 04 November 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#75 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 04 November 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

*snip*

"I better get a damn medal for this." . . . Ah, how I have been in that place so many times. It's virtually suicide, but it's better for the team as a whole. I wish more people realized that sometimes the best course of action for the team will result in sacrificing your mech.

#76 TanE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 757 posts
  • LocationIn investigation of the Ghostbear Dominion

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

Funny and very true!

Vote 4 sticky and for ingame implementation, too.

#77 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Another chokepoint comic! It's the most common way teams lose in a chokepoint.

Spoiler

#78 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

This comic holds so much truth. It always makes me rather angry to see people milling aimlessly about the entrances in Terra Therma when I'm already inside taking cover by the tall boxes in front of the entrance.

#79 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

These are excellent! Kudos!

#80 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

best way to bust an ambush is to charge though it. same with a choke point. i wish i had a nickel for every time i have tried to explain that at the pug zapper. Charge in one mech go right one mech go left do not stop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users