5 replies to this topic

#1 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:00 AM

It would be great to bring mine-laying into MWO. It has featured in BT and previous Mech Warrior incarnations, so why not here?

Suggested module would be for a single mine (similar to a single artillery strike) to occupy a consumable slot.

Method of play:

When deploying a mine you have 10 seconds from deployment until it becomes active (indicated by beeping speeding up during countdown).

Once deployed, any mech stepping within a 10m radius of the spot will activate the mine.

Damage is out to 15m radius and does 20 damage to each leg.

Mines can be shot at to activate/trigger remotely, but are totally hidden from both sides.

(Optional: BAP can "ping" mines, revealing their approximate location via audio cues - ping sound increases the closer you get.)

The introduction of mines would definitely change the gameplay meta of following the same routes on the maps. It would also lend to roles for scouting and mine-laying mechs (mostly lights).

Thoughts or comments?

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:20 AM

I see so many people ignoring these/not notecing and creating a lot of friendly fire.
So when they are placed there should be at least a rough marker on the map/ground for the own team. Else it will be a real danger to the own team as I doubt everone will tell the team where he placed mines and everyone remembering their placement.

Also mines could be something for an Arrow IV system to place or with LRMs firing at the ground instead of a target.

#3 QuulDrah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAachen

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

There was this game I was playing intensely before finding my way to MW:O... Warframe.
You could pilot - among other choices - the Vauban.
This frame (think: Mech) had an ability called 'Bounce Pad'.
You could designate an area that would suddenly act as a bounce pad...
It was designed to be used by players to reach high places, irritate enemies, mine an entry, etc...

Guess how many microseconds it took for trolls to start spamming the level exit/objective room/bridges/and-more with them?
Now guess again, it was less.

Mines in MW:O?
- Lights spamming the spawn points (CW)
- massive nuclear blasts upon entering a gate (CW)
- that guy not going where drop leader said to go? Kaboom!
- that guy i don't like laid down a mine? walk over it to give him a team kill...

I am - contrary to popular believe - not a professional troll, so I may have missed some options.

IMHO: No mines! Please.

#4 BlackHeroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKasselhague

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

I like the idea. You cant troll so much, caus as consumable it should block airstrikes/Artys.
But i would suggetst not to do 20 dmg to every leg, it would be massive. 10 to every leg or 20 spread out.

#5 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

It's pretty resistant to trolling, since each mech could only carry one, and it replaces arty strikes, spamming wouldn't be a problem.

The mines, once deployed, can be triggered by firing on the area from a distance. That clears the area of the mine (preferably with a suitable explosion that shows you've detonated the mines you were looking for). It means that you've got a defence against the mines (unlike arty strikes). All you have to do is continually shoot the ground 20-30m ahead of where you're going.

Regarding the damage, you could make it so it's equal to an arty strike, instead of being focussed on the legs. The main point is that the trigger distance is less than the blast radius, so the damage goes beyond a single mech. Otherwise, the first mech to step into the circle would trigger the mine and no others would be affected.

#6 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

There's been a lot of calls for the inclusion of mines:

http://mwomercs.com/...-dropped-mines/

http://mwomercs.com/...nti-mech-mines/

http://mwomercs.com/...or-innersphere/

etc...

This is a wanted feature that's just waiting for PGI's developers to find the time...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users