1698 replies to this topic

#1561 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

I got hunchback and that would practically be cheating as I played them exclusively from the beginning of open beta til 3/3/3/3 came out and forced me to get larger mechs.

Good test though.

#1562 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts
  • LocationQuite possibly on the What MECH Challengers Discord at: http://bit.ly/2pkX1Yi

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 13 January 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

I just decided to start this. I am a Raven. Alt account is named:

Jonathan8883 I am a Raven

If the unit is still functioning, I'll take an invite!

View PostJonathan8883, on 14 January 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

I cannot find the invite... where in the FW interface do I go?
I have not messed with units at all beyond a 1-man FW unit.

View PostIh8tevictors, on 14 January 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

i may have messed up the invite. resend your alt account name. i sent teh invite to Jonathan8883 not Jonathan I am a Raven

the invite will be in the alerts under the chat/friends

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll log in and make a couple tweaks this afternoon. I'll send the invite out to the full "... I am a Raven" account name.

Sorry for the delay Jonathan 8883, I didn't want to log in and monkey with it right away this week because "odd week." Now that I've slowed down enough to actually read at sub light speed, we'll get it squared.

Feel free to have your alt send me a friend invite next time you're on. :)

#1563 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts
  • LocationQuite possibly on the What MECH Challengers Discord at: http://bit.ly/2pkX1Yi

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostJonathan8883, on 13 January 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

I just decided to start this. I am a Raven. Alt account is named:

Jonathan8883 I am a Raven

If the unit is still functioning, I'll take an invite!

View PostIh8tevictors, on 14 January 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Jonathan8883 invite sent

welcome to the crazy train. we are still keeping the lights on and maintaining an HPG uplink account. but our hayday is behind us, unfortunately. there is a core group here still and all are welcome to participate as much as they like.

my second mech was the Raven. they are still a very viable mech in today's game play.

GL HF or Die Trying and may your match score always be greater then your ping

accounting details

start coffers
12,840,000 cbills

invite cost
2,450,000 cbills

currant total
10,390,000 cbills

at the currant recruitment we can add another 4 members.

now get out there and earn some cbills

Invite re-sent, under the correct alt name :)

Welcome!

ih8tvictors, I'll toss a deposit in the account after I've flown the unfriendly skies for a bit ;)

#1564 Ih8tevictors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCurrently out of my mind, Try again latter

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

So in 3 days or so there is a Valentines day challenge with a portion being in group play and a reward for "lance in Formation"

https://mwomercs.com/events/85

who wants to get a lance together and hang tight?

#1565 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Blake and his Atlas would be into it!

#1566 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Commando...

...but I already use commandos.

#1567 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

You should all go Uziels see how skilled you really are...

#1568 Blake Speare

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:39 PM

Reporting for duty! <o

View PostSamial, on 10 February 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

You should all go Uziels see how skilled you really are...

Oh, we never said we were "skilled" per se. Posted Image

Mostly just gluttons for punishment. Posted Image

#1569 Ih8tevictors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

interesting maybe time to make a loyalist tour

https://mwomercs.com...-april-and-may/

Faction Play as a whole is currently in the early stages of a thorough review, while Solaris 7 is nearing its release in April. It was important for us that Faction Play run smoothly during this time frame, therefore we have made a list of changes that will help remove the points of friction to the player experience
  • Players will no longer be penalized for breaking Loyalty pledges or Mercenary Contracts.
  • Contracts will now remain active until manually cancelled, and the cancellation of a Mercenary Contract will not incur a penalty.
  • As a result, Unit Leaders and members with sufficient permissions can take new Faction Contracts or Loyalist pledges for the Unit at any time.
  • There are no Desertion phases after breaking Contracts or Loyalty. However, the Loyalist Probationary period starting from the initial pledge remains in place.
  • Freelancers will now be able to respond to standard Call To Arms. They are no longer restricted to the last-minute Emergency Call To Arms.

Edited by Ih8tevictors, 25 February 2018 - 07:08 PM.

#1570 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

View PostIh8tevictors, on 25 February 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

interesting maybe time to make a loyalist tour

https://mwomercs.com...-april-and-may/

Faction Play as a whole is currently in the early stages of a thorough review, while Solaris 7 is nearing its release in April. It was important for us that Faction Play run smoothly during this time frame, therefore we have made a list of changes that will help remove the points of friction to the player experience
  • Players will no longer be penalized for breaking Loyalty pledges or Mercenary Contracts.
  • Contracts will now remain active until manually cancelled, and the cancellation of a Mercenary Contract will not incur a penalty.
  • As a result, Unit Leaders and members with sufficient permissions can take new Faction Contracts or Loyalist pledges for the Unit at any time.
  • There are no Desertion phases after breaking Contracts or Loyalty. However, the Loyalist Probationary period starting from the initial pledge remains in place.
  • Freelancers will now be able to respond to standard Call To Arms. They are no longer restricted to the last-minute Emergency Call To Arms.

I'd agree.

Once that update drops (purportedly in the March 20 patch), we can move around pretty freely again.

Folks still playing their (WM) accounts can have a grand ole time racking up mechbays and goodies.

Whats old is (or, rather, will be ...) new again! \o/ Huzzah!

#1571 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

I actually ended up going kind of an odd route to fill out my Mech-bays recently.

I already had the AS7-D from the initial quiz, plus a free CN9-A(NCIX) + Mech-bay from the giveaway awhile ago, leaving me with 3 empty bays.

After pondering it over, I ended up deciding to round out a "Wanna-Be-Founders Pack" by picking up a JR7-D, HBK-4G, and CPLT-C1.

It somehow felt right for good old Blake Speare.

They aren't all fully kitted out yet, but working on it, next big C-Bill grinding event we have.

#1572 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

P.S. So, the name "Blake Speare" came from the only Twitter account I've ever had, which I set up as a short-lived joke wherein I imagined The Bard as a modern "Dude-Bro".

Imagine my delight, last time I was playing on my What Mech account, only to realize that, in-game, due to our unit tag, this shows up as "[(WM)] Blake Speare"!

Yeah, the fine art of the happy accident...

#1573 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

I've got my 3 Dires now, the last chassis I'd planned to add to this account. That's not to say I won't add more mechs from those chassis, but I'm probably done there.

One's "mastered," the other two have a long grind ahead while I fine-tune builds and die painfully.

The only other way I could maybe see adding more chassis, is if I wanted to do alternate ClanTech tonnage options. Thing is, I'm not really in a hurry to run a Kit Fox or Warhawk in FP, but the Kit Fox is really the closest ClanTech equivalent to the Panther's playstyle in-game.

Ah well, no rush. :D

Edit: Spelling

Edit Again: Wait! How did I never see it before? 1 Pseudo-Panther (Kit Fox, 30t) and 3 Summoners (3x70) = 240 tons ...

Edited by Amaranth Panther, 07 March 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#1574 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

I am a Victor.

Now the good news is that i like JJs. The bad news is that i like them on light and medium Mechs.
Sounds interesting, as the Victor might have just enough spice to twist good enough to roast potatoes.

Initial impression, made account "Vic Torry". Really? Nobody took that name over the years?
Fight 1, Trial Catapult. Lost, 450ish damage.
Fight 2, Trial Catapult. Lost. 200ish damage. Tried to cap. No you idiot, you're not sitting in a fast Mech.
Fight 3, Trial Jenner. Won. 560ish damage. See? Light Mech and JJs...

Bought a Victor-9S.
Became depressed.
Removed the SRM-6 and ammo, upped the armor to something i still don't want to fight in.
Got an AC/20 and 2 medium lasers, standard heat sinks, in an 80-tonner.
Became more depressed.
Fight 4, Victor-9S, Lost. 130ish damage. Tanked the ***** out of them though.

Facepalming myself. Why am i not a godforsaken (PGI forsaken) Jenner?
Because i am a Victor. DEAL WITH IT!!! *ouch*

Challenge accepted.

#1575 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

View Postkailii, on 07 March 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

I am a Victor.

Now the good news is that i like JJs. The bad news is that i like them on light and medium Mechs.
Sounds interesting, as the Victor might have just enough spice to twist good enough to roast potatoes.

Initial impression, made account &quot;Vic Torry&quot;. Really? Nobody took that name over the years?
Fight 2, Trial Catapult. Lost. 200ish damage. Tried to cap. No you idiot, you're not sitting in a fast Mech.

Bought a Victor-9S.
Became depressed.
Removed the SRM-6 and ammo, upped the armor to something i still don't want to fight in.
Became more depressed.

Challenge accepted.

Nice to still see new players joining the challenge! Now, you are actually supposed to use a trial Mech from the same weight class as "your" Mech in the beginning, but that is a minor mistake that I am sure the current stewards of the challenge won't bother you about. Also, it is good to see you deciding to stick with the challenge even though you got a Mech that you are not comfortable with (that is the whole point of the challenge, though), and if Ih8Victors is still around, he may be able to give you some pointers :-)

#1576 Ih8tevictors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Vic Torry welcome to the What Mech Challenge! Invite sent.

the victor is an odd duck in today's FPS solo warrior game that MWO is. Actually in its stock form it is not a bad or unplayable mech once you understand it's limitations, but yes it is woefully under armored. Even fully armored it is not a tank. It is a JJ dancing Knife fighter. the AC20 is a deviating weapon. but has horrible DPS and cooldown time.
i run my Vics Super Stock, as it were, this is my final load out

https://mwo.smurfy-n...471b324ef11a008

the SRM2s give a bit of padding, a quicker recycle time, and the ability to chain fire for that near constant barrage effect that makes mech back up while you are lining up that killing blow with the AC20
get good at the AC20 twist. fire twist count to 3 twist back, fire again all the while dancing those JJs

Never forget you are not an atlas, you are not the tip of the spear. you are the close flanking JJ dancing finisher.
if you hold tight, but not too tight, to the fatties most times the reds will ignore you in favor of that big 100 tonner.

just for refferance here are my other vics

9B

https://mwo.smurfy-n...6c0f3d1410fa1eb

an the odd duck 9K

https://mwo.smurfy-n...ea3c3c1efd2ddb6

the engine came out of a CDA-2A(C) that was the prize for some event awhile ago. believe it or not this load out works very well in Faction Warfare. good long range punch and enough mobility and JJs to get to some interesting spots

regardless of the Victor Endo and DHS are very important. as are MAX JJs IMHO

Coffers
start 11,390,000 Cbills
recruitment costs 2,500,000 Cbills
total 8,890,000 Cbills

about enough for 3 invites left in the coffers

#1577 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies folks!

As for setting the beast up, i'm thinking hard about risking a XL-engine after reading several positive opinions about it.
Could look like this (sorry, no smurfy link, i'm using Li Song):

XL-325, Endo, 14 DHS, 2 JJ.
2x LLAS, 3x SRM-4 (3t), 1x AC/20 (3t)

This is VERY open for discussion however, as my only experience in Assaults so far is a rusty old Banshee.
Anyway, since i didn't read about limitations on financing my Victor in the original post (whistles harmlessly), the plan for today is grinding some CBs with the current event - so i got some spare change to get some spare parts.

Like, say, to max. JJs... Posted Image

EDIT:
Got Endo and DHS now, and surprisingly my Mech looks very much like the one lh8tevictors posted.
Thanks for the tip with the 4 JJs mate, i just hopped around Training Grounds with a broad smile on my face.

Edited by kailii, 08 March 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#1578 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

View Postkailii, on 07 March 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

I am a Victor.

Initial impression, made account &quot;Vic Torry&quot;. Really? Nobody took that name over the years?

Bought a Victor-9S.
Became depressed.
Became more depressed.

Challenge accepted.

Welcome!

Ih8tvictors or myself will get a unit invite out to you when next we are logged in.

As to builds (Victors were my second chassis) :

I found that MRM spam makes for an interesting choice. It's been pretty effective in FP. Minimum 60 tubes, and spam away, spam away all. ;)

While I tend to run Standard engines on MRM-spam VTRs, the XL is really nice on the Victor. They're not exactly tank, but they're very survivable if you don't play static.

Make sure you're twisting like a mad OCD fool though, to spread the damage around as long as possible. Also make sure you're playing hit-and-run with judicious use of terrain and (*ahem*) weaving amidst teammates and enemies in brawlier situations.

AC20 and SRMs is still a favorite on the -9S for me, btw. I like the XL version with Artemis and the Standard-engine version without, but I haven't tried a Light Engine edition.

Again, welcome!

#1579 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Thank you Panther!

I must confess that i'm not much of a Brawler. It never worked for me, i think because of the bad taste in my mouth developing every time there is a medium/long range standoff and i'm stuck with 270m weapons range - and can't contribute to the team effort.
That's why i like your MRM idea. Well, not exactly ERLLAS range, but they don't sacrifice much firepower for the range they offer compared to SRMs. And you get a lot of missiles out of 1 ton ammo. My Assassin and Quickdraw like 'em!

OK. Now let's stop this, i'm feeling like writing the essay "How I build my first BattleMech". Posted Image
I'll take my time getting a feeling for the Victor for now.
That will take a few days - darn thing won't turn during jumps f.e. - but let's see. Maybe i'll end up Posted Image

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, tips and suggestions!

#1580 Vic Torry

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Just for the record in case there is another grumpy member of the ancient Jenner flight school out there trying to make a Victor work - this is the only setup of all i tried so far that makes me feel "at home":

XL-325, Endo, DHS, 2 JJ.
2x LLAS, 3x SRM-4, 1x UAC/10

I tend to play all my games FAST, so there is never time to choose between 5 different weapon groups.
Bad habit because of all the time in Jenners, Firestarters and Urbies i guess.
Anyway, 3 weapon groups is my limit. Otherwise i need to think about what to fire, and that would slow me down.
So i got

Group 1: 2x LLAS ranged fire left arm around corner
Group 2: 1x UAC/10 ranged fire right arm around corner
Group 3: 1x UAC/10 and 3x SRM/4, short range

Group 3 is the fun part. Cooldown is almost identical between weapons, lead is the same at short range, a 2 second twist away and back disperses lasers, 2.5 sec. Cooldown means fast fire and people rarely notice the AC fire coming with the SRM swarm. Finish pin point with Lasers if heat allows.

And so ends my "How i built my first Mech". So far. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users