We're going to have to kill Hawken...before it kills us!

51 replies to this topic

#21 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

for me, hawken is already dead as they decided to use Gaikai (not sure how to spell that) for the distribution service and sony just bought that. Anything SOE touches turns to crap so i won't be playing hawken because i don't want ANOTHER crap Digital Distribution service on my machine

#22 Galvanized

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Twin Joysticks Works really well if used right.
Remember the mech combat game 'Virtua On'?

the mechs steered like a tank with the added bonus of pushing both sticks away from eachother to activate booster jets.
It felt very natural and intuitive B)

The prob is that with Mechwarrior is that it doesn't have an auto tracking weapon system like virtua on or indeed a real tank, so either we need a second player as the gunner, or the joysticks need modding operate differently (which apparently they can do just fine).

I'm more impressed by this that the Razer Joystick, though I think both are fun ^^

Edited by Galvanized, 10 July 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#23 rooster

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

that joystick looks really amazing. It looks allot more fleshed out than the razer artimis. two sticks some switches, that awesome looking eject button and a built in keyboard. something as big as having artmis and and keyboard will be like juggling. dont see a throttle control and i dont know if the joystick twists. im guessing it does though. chances are seeing this (and if i have the dosh) im going to skip the artimis and get this to use on MWO. ill misss out on that LCD if its a touch screen and actually works as a second monitor ill be kicking myself a little.

as far as the games go ill try hawken but im not sure if i will like it. it looks like call of duty with mechs. but if im wrong its going to be the best of both worlds and i will play hawken and MWO B)

EDit: i just saw the throttle on the right joystick. its pretty small.

Edited by rooster, 10 July 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#24 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

I still have my dual-joystick from the first Playstation, buying one of those new ones will be quite the upgrade.

But they'll probably cost an arm...Which is ironic because you need both to operate it. (I'm quite the philosopher, I know)

#25 Dantiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

View PostManthony Higgs, on 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

How do two Joysticks work? That doesn't even make sense.

one control the leg/movement directions, and the other control the aim/torso... like playing a FPS in a console joystick
personally, i prefer two joysticks instead of joystick and throttle

Edited by Dantiger, 10 July 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#26 Voodoo 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostSir Kulp, on 09 July 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think the game was called "Virtual On"

YES! it was bugging me! Such a good game!

#27 Voodoo 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostKotsuno, on 10 July 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? B)

Which I can say with full confidence; "We will have a minimal amount of 12 year old rage monsters running swaybacks and full beam atlas' down the middle, missing 75% of their shots, over heating, and dieing" *crosses fingers*

View PostScouten, on 10 July 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

honestly hawken just looks like your average FPS with a mech cockpit overlay i like the slow turning mechs of MWO more than the speedy little kill machines of hawken. fast moving agile mechs work better in anime not so much in gameplay.

Ya, I was never a fan of Elementals too. :unsure:

Edited by Voodoo 6, 10 July 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#28 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I'd personally have a steering wheel w/ two firing buttons near the thumb. Along with a pedal (like a gas pedal) for a acceleration.

#29 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm loving the look of hawken, It'll be my "fast paced game" so i don't have to resort to some call of brofield clone :3

#30 Voodoo 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 10 July 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

I'm loving the look of hawken, It'll be my "fast paced game" so i don't have to resort to some call of brofield clone :3

I wouldn't want to sully my thoughts of battle machinery. I'll just play BF3 for a "fast paced" game, that's as fast as I care to go, that's why MW3 sucked. JUMP SPIN SPRAY HEADSHOT DIVE JUMP **** POKE ROCKET GRENADE POSE.... screw that childish crap.

#31 Creed Buhallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? :)

I'm not entirely sure this is fair or accurate. From what we know of the basic game structure of the two at the moment, Hawken's matches sound like they'll have more depth than what MWO is promising, with the energy-transport mechanism compared to the simple "kill or capture" WoT clone that MWO seems to be focusing on. I also haven't seen anything of Hawken that suggests you're not going to have to understand the maps - again, with the deeper objective it'll likely be even more important. And customization looks comparable, so I don't know why anyone would have a harder time adapting to potential MWO loadouts compared to Hawken loadouts.

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be anything to back any of this up other than a sense of superiority that the game you like more is somehow smarter or more elite. Yes, Hawken seems to be faster, but speed isn't the only defining characteristic of a game.

#32 Ohmwrecker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

There used to be a tank game at one of my local arcade that made use of two sticks, one controlled the left tread and the other the right. I imagine Hawken will just emulate standard stick control though on the consoles. Left stick for movement, right stick for aiming.

Edited by ohmwrecker, 10 July 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#33 Vergoth

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hawken looks like they are trying cater to the FPS community and spoon feed them some silly form of Gundam to get them interested in Mechs.

I'm just not really impressed with the game at all. Might as well be COD:Power Armor

Edited by Vergoth, 11 July 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#34 Scorpioneldar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? :P

hey im 19 im younger but i was playing mechwarrior before MW4 mercs came out around 2002(i think) i played mechwarrior 3 and vengence (unless they are the same game sorry it has been awhile) before that

and my father taught me some of the table top game i was rereading the 3050 rules yesterday so i could figure out what to expect in the way of mechs in this game

seems like some of my favorites won't exist but as long as i have a cat a atlas a mad and an uzi i am happy (and i already know i have a cat eventually aka as soon as i can afford it

#35 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Our Artemis is better :P.

#36 Jessie C

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

didnt i read somewhere in the books once that battlemechs have two control sticks?

#37 Ashrok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Is there any customization in Hawken? I've been looking around, it looks like they have different mech types, but if the loadout is customizable, haven't really seen anything on it...

Regardless, I'll probably give Hawken a whirl, as I did sign up for it. But I doubt it'll pull me in the same way MechWarrior does now.

#38 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 09 July 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

MWO is the Bill Hicks of mech combat.

Enough said

win.

#39 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Actually I thought you were talking about this game http://en.wikipedia....0_video_game%29

#40 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

How do double joysticks work? Have you never played an Xbox or PS?

It looks like a light mech arena game. I saw it, I wasn't interested. It's a new take on the genre, but it's not for me.

Mechwarrior has a history, a universe and a cult following - showing here. Lot 669 then, ladies and gentlemen...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users