We're going to have to kill Hawken...before it kills us!

51 replies to this topic

#41 Creed Buhallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostAshrok, on 12 July 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

Is there any customization in Hawken? I've been looking around, it looks like they have different mech types, but if the loadout is customizable, haven't really seen anything on it...

Fixed number of weapons compared to BattleTech, but a lot more visual customization and secondary non-combat equipment/abilities than MWO.

#42 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostKotsuno, on 10 July 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? ;)

I am going to not agree here.

I have ascended the "hardcore" ladder from Call of Duty, to Battlefield, to ARMA, to DCS (hyper realistic flightsimulator). And every time I move a step up, the communities seem to get increasingly elitest and the "holier then thou" attitude skyrockets each time, as if the gamers lower on the hardcore ladder are some how less of people. Hell, people in the DCS community are mocking MS Flightsimulator players because "the cockpits are not 95% functional". I'm absolutely seeing this attitude in the Hawken --> Mechwarrior situation.

I fail to see how Hawken is "instant gratification" (quickly becoming my most hated term in the universe), and I fail to see how it somehow lacks skill to play. I've played through Mechwarrior 3 many times (my favorite game ever made behind MW4M and MW2), and it was easy even the first time. You could probably play Mechwarrior 4 with a 7 button mouse, providing you had a mousewheel for the throttle (MW3 too if it supported that many buttons). Hawken gameplay looks pretty tactical to me, and it looks difficult to master. How do I reach the energy? How will I gain altitude? How will I escape my enemies and what path will I take? When will I drop down and let the repair drone do its job? How do I keep cover over my head so the enemy battleship doesn't blast me from the sky?

Drop the elitism. I'm sure the people playing this game will be just as much as a human as you are. The game will not keep many Call of Duty players because you can't point at somebody and kill them. Anybody who sees this as some kind of heresy to Battletech needs to open their eyes a little.

Pictured: Instant Gratification

Posted Image

Edited by Zakatak, 12 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#43 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostKotsuno, on 10 July 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? ;)

I'm 15 and I think CoD is plain dumb. Recycled crap since MW1, same engine with the only chance being shaders, same sounds everygame. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me as much as the amount of whiney little brats accusing of hacking because you headshot them with a shotgun...on the xbox...

MWO Looks pretty awesome, none of that stupid stuff stated above^. I have good hope, but at the same time just not sure if it'll be worth the wait without anymore gameplay besides some photos and the occasional leak. I only watched 1 leak though, makes me feel derp because an awesome company doesn't like them ._.

#44 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostManthony Higgs, on 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

How do two Joysticks work? That doesn't even make sense.

HMMM CREATIVE YOU ARE NOT
Left jostick can controll leg movement right controll the torso...

#45 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostSkadi, on 12 July 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

HMMM CREATIVE YOU ARE NOT
Left jostick can controll leg movement right controll the torso...

personally I prefer to have all movement controls on the same joystick, a lot of people forget that you can use the twist function of joysticks to activate the torso twist on the mechs in MW, so you've got every directional control you could possibly need right there, now. If it's done like a tank's dual controls, that could be cool, but it would make the up down capability a bit difficult (though I suppose they could do a thumbpad for up down and fine tuning on the reticle) but I still don't see how they expect you to make full use of the other buttons when you have both hands working the sticks ;) (anybody got a gif of Coop slamming the big red button on Megas with his face?)
Posted Image

Edited by Damion Sparhawk, 12 July 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#46 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hawken has about 11,000 (2,000 of those are off-topic) total posts on their forums. That is less total posts than our top few posters combined. That little look at player base dedication speaks volumes for me. Seems that Hawken fans prefer to only watch videos of Hawken, while MWO fans like to discuss our game here on the forums.

I believe Hawken allows for side-stepping. Thus one joystick can control the movement direction on the legs, while the other is used for aiming/moving the torso. Makes sense for how Hawken is likely to play.

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 12 July 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#47 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 12 July 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

personally I prefer to have all movement controls on the same joystick, a lot of people forget that you can use the twist function of joysticks to activate the torso twist on the mechs in MW, so you've got every directional control you could possibly need right there, now. If it's done like a tank's dual controls, that could be cool, but it would make the up down capability a bit difficult (though I suppose they could do a thumbpad for up down and fine tuning on the reticle) but I still don't see how they expect you to make full use of the other buttons when you have both hands working the sticks :D (anybody got a gif of Coop slamming the big red button on Megas with his face?)

i would kill for that gif... but yeah its just preference, i can see the dual joystick actualy giving a huge adantage when it comes to movement though, could elimnate the superiority of the mouse in a sense (consider it as the wasd on your keyboard)

#48 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Meh, Hawken has cool noises, but it doesn't stand up to MWO imo.

#49 Grey Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationToledo,OH

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Well, one controls movement, the other controls a turret. Or, like an ancient arcade tank game, one controls the right tread, one controls the left, but that would be simpler with two throttle controls. Honestly, just seems all sorts of silly to me unless you're using them to control aiming for independent arms. Not even sure what 'Hawken' is all about, anyways. Looks for all the world like another FPS shoot'em up MMO. Bet it becomes another wallet warrior title.

#50 CrackersPhinn

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

The double joysticks looks really fun to play around with. Maybe not as functional as a keyboard and mouse? I don'd know. But I will say that WASD does not compare to a joystick's manoeuvring capabilities. It has too limited a range with only 4 keys and maximum of 8 directions effectively. Aiming is all about the mouse. if someone has an MMO mouse they could graph all the keys they need onto the keys of the mouse. Would be fun to see it in action. :D

Anyways from the gameplay and garage footage I have to say BT 'Mechs look a heck of a lot better, even with some of our goofy designs. The customization seems to be pretty indepth, each games are going about it differently. One think really stuck me watching the footages were the level design maybe it was from the editing but the levels in Hawken seem to be better designed at least having a lot more complexity going for it. The futuristic industrial urban landscape divided into different sections and levels and cluttered in a good way. Though this was only one map that we saw maybe two, which is the same with MWO. From what little I saw the Hawken map looks more interesting than our own forested lands that we are familiar with.

#51 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostSkadi, on 12 July 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

i would kill for that gif... but yeah its just preference, i can see the dual joystick actualy giving a huge adantage when it comes to movement though, could elimnate the superiority of the mouse in a sense (consider it as the wasd on your keyboard)

you may officially kill for me now :D Posted Image

#52 Soupstyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

VirtualOn was a fun game in the arcade and my dreamcast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users