Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman...like Or Dislike The New Designs?

79 replies to this topic

#1 Autofire

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

Just wanted to get a general opinion, I personally was wondering how people felt about the design differences of the unseens mechs about to/being released compared to what we have seen from designs on Sarna or if anyone has seen the mechs from the old Mechwarrior 1 (1989) game. I'm not putting up a poll because I like to see criticism in posts. Preferably, constructive. Have at it! *Cringes and closes the cage doors* hehehe

#2 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:59 AM

I like warhammer and rifleman, the Marauder is ok but catalysts version is better.

#3 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:03 AM

Love 'em all.
But i almost always love Alex's artworks, i reserve judgement on the in-game models.

#4 Submersible Fox

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Marauder in any variation is one of my favorite mechs in all of BT, and I think the MWO Marauder might be the best it's ever looked, though im slightly torn about if I like the autocannon placement.

Warhammer, don't care, never liked it.

Rifleman, yes. Just yes, I always hoped it would get added to MWO and I QUITE like it's redesign.

#5 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

I would honestly have preferred a Warhammer that was as close to the original artwork as possible, not a big fan of the newer sleek design process TBH.

It was fairly close, and I understand that PGI has a bit of fear yet about the visual being called out by HG, but if you're going to pull the trigger on the go-ahead, might as well stick to what people from the old days recognize about the Warhammer.

The new design that Alex gave it, resembles the Warhammer, but its not the mech that I remember, it has lost alot of its personality from a visual aspect.

The new one is good in its own right, but its not a Warhammer.

Didn't stop me from buying the Warhammer though, been wanting one for a long time.
Posted Image

Edited by Mister D, 07 November 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#6 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:13 AM

Since I have been playing BattleTech/Mechwarrior in some fashion since it was created three decades ago, have more then a few brain cells firing, and understand how these things can work; Yes, rather happy with the Classic Collection.

Knowing we cannot have exact copies I have no second thoughts about getting each one to date. I will buy each in turn, play them and be smiling while I do, and say Thank you! after.

#7 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:15 AM

Overall I love them and each one is a "Shut up and take my money!"

Having said that, their styling is different from the rest of MWO and I wish they were more in line with the Phoenix package mechs.

I'm still gonna buy them though. I can't not. :D

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostAutofire, on 07 November 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

Just wanted to get a general opinion, I personally was wondering how people felt about the design differences of the unseens mechs about to/being released compared to what we have seen from designs on Sarna or if anyone has seen the mechs from the old Mechwarrior 1 (1989) game. I'm not putting up a poll because I like to see criticism in posts. Preferably, constructive. Have at it! *Cringes and closes the cage doors* hehehe

I have minor nitpicks with all of them, but mostly due to some of the changes they had to make to get them to pass the HG Lawsuit test. So, while I might not love the changes, I understand why they had to happen.

Least impressive? Definitely the Marauder. It has too many of the hallmarks of Shimmering Sword's older designs (that are so popular here, but have never inspired me..though I like his newed CGL take).

The arms are the main culprit, especially the bulky pauldrons, which when combined with the odd slant to the top of the weapon pods, just takes a lot of the elegance and menace away from the design. Plus the crabbed and rigid posture, the way the arms hug the sides, just looks clumsy to me. And the weapon pods feel too small.

The Legs, especially the angle, feel awkward. Mind you, the original design's legs would be incapable of sustained locomotion. But it's kind of like he tried to combine a more sensible chicken walker leg, like the Ressen version to the location and angle of the originals..... and it just doesn't quite work. (Goodnes, did I really call a "chicken walker" sensible? One of the worst sci-fi ideas ever, despite the aesthetics....since the lope would be very unsmooth, missing that third joint)

Add in the overly smooth carapace, and the way the cannon mounts, which makes more sense, but loses something visually from the original, and as a whole, while it's not bad, and is identifiably a Marauder..... it just feels uninspired and utterly lacking in that menace of the design, that lean predatory look, where it looked in motion, even standing still.

6.5/10

The Warhammer?
A few minor complaints, mostly centered around the arms. That hinge joint at the elbow looks wonky, and like a weak spot in the design, and the lack of the exhaust port traditionally on the WHM's elbow leaves them looking a bit off-weighted. Would also like to see the feet about 10% bigger.

8.5/10

The Rifleman?

While the CT threw me off a bit at first, I've come to like it and realized that the real issue, again, came to the arms. So bulky and heavy compared to the originals, with such boring barrel designs. Would love to see something to break up their monotony. But again, the arms are a huge trademark identifier for the Robotech design, so I can see why (well that and their dynamic hardpoint design) they went away from it. Also, their bulk is part of what makes the torso look awkward when combined.. the overall lines are not too dissimilar from the original on the torso, it's just the arms make them seem off.

8/10

So, while it would be largely impossible to match the designs of my childhood, for nostalgia reasons, overall, Alex has done a pretty good job, with his usual quality artwork. And I could see where those not tied to the originals, might actually prefer these.

#9 Autofire

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

Personal opinion, I love all 3 mechs, I always have and always will. Hell I'm a clanner and I respect them. My ONLY issue with them is (I'm sure people will flame me for it) that they are too sleek look. I personally love the boxy sarna look to them. Hell this is making me want to reinstall Mechwarrior 1 with my 5 1/4 in disks so I can read up on the manual and put in the random word from paragraph 3, word 4 on page 12 lol

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:22 AM

View PostMister D, on 07 November 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

I would honestly have preferred a Warhammer that was as close to the original artwork as possible, not a big fan of the newer sleek design process TBH.

It was fairly close, and I understand that PGI has a bit of fear yet about the visual being called out by HG, but if you're going to pull the trigger on the go-ahead, might as well stick to what people from the old days recognize about the Warhammer.

Like this.

Didn't stop me from buying the Warhammer though, been wanting one every since I saw the MW-5 video to replace the crappy Orion.
Posted Image

while I agree, most of the features they omitted, they did to get it past the LawsuitNazis at HG.

#11 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

I would rather they fix chat and either fix or remove the cockpit monitors.

The constant mech releases strike me as cash grabs for a dying game.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

View Postcdlord, on 07 November 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Overall I love them and each one is a "Shut up and take my money!"

Having said that, their styling is different from the rest of MWO and I wish they were more in line with the Phoenix package mechs.

I'm still gonna buy them though. I can't not. :D

there is something a little too neat about them...I would actually rather see these get some of the patchwork treatment of the resistance mecha, since most of these are actually OLDER:

#13 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:28 AM

the mech designs seem a lot more modern looking than the heavy industrial look of earlier mechs, i'm not a fan of bubble canopies on any mech, but especially on the MAD, it takes away the Predator and menacing look of the chassis, CGL's cockpit looks almost spot on to the original MAD artwork, it looks like a lean mean fighting machine...

Edited by SgtMagor, 07 November 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#14 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 November 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

*snip*

Great example of real, honest, FEEDBACK that we need more of!

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 07 November 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

Not going to drink your Hateorade, keep it to yourself.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 07 November 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

or a constant feature since its inception, that more people would complain about being suspended than not.

Oh, and they kind of need to grab cash to finance stuff like CW phase 3, the Rebalance, etc. Doesn't happen for free.

Don't think they'd be spending time redoing maps and such if it was a grab the money and run, scenario. Or it would be a very poorly done scam, very inefficient.

#16 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:34 AM

In general, i like them.
Though, they are a bit too sleek and streamlined for my tastes.

I also prefer the Catalyst's Marauder design over Alex's.
Posted Image
It's just chunkier and clunkier and i love it.

#17 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

"Not going to drink your Hateorade, keep it to yourself."

Huh? Its not hate. Its frustration that simple things still aren't fixed while they distract us with more shiney.

And why make it personal?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 07 November 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#18 Autofire

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

I'm a fan of your analysis, Bishop. I know they are trying to design as close as possible without making waves, I'm just glad they are even releasing the unseen mechs. I want to see the Phoenix Hawk next, I know its not very known but paired up with a good Shadow Hawk build you could wreck people. Sorry to say, Fenrisulvyn, while your point may be valid or not, we are debating personal opinion in the new unseen mechs. Hit up the technical based forum threads with that issue.

#19 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 07 November 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

Love 'em all.
But i almost always love Alex's artworks, i reserve judgement on the in-game models.

This to be honest.

#20 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:37 AM

I like them, but wish they were more like the originals...my concession is that I understand the reasons to deviate from the originals and I appreciate their efforts to get these machines included even if not quite what we were hoping for.

The people complaining about the designs need to understand that they're still close enough to be considered infringement.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users