Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman...like Or Dislike The New Designs?

79 replies to this topic

#61 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 07 November 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

Great example of real, honest, FEEDBACK that we need more of!

Not going to drink your Hateorade, keep it to yourself.

"I like honest feedback, just not honest feedback that I disagree with."

That said, I'm not giving PGI any more money since I already have a decent stable of mechs to work with and I'm not confident in the future of the changes that keep getting thrown about.

Edited by Tuis Ryche, 07 November 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#62 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

I love the look of the new Marauder. Warhammer is okay... Rifleman looks cool but not planning to grab it anytime soon.

#63 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

Love the designs.
Want the Warhammer and Marauder.
I'll probably want the Archer too when they premiere that next.

Won't spend a dime on this game till we get Cone of Fire or some other system to remove perfect convergence, CW fixed and PvE as the central focus of this game.

Too bad really.

#64 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

I have no problem with any of these 3. We were never going to get anything closer to the originals than this.

Personally I applaud PGI's efforts. I think there is a nice Bioroid/Invid influence in the smoother lines that they have.

The only problem I see, is it looks a little like PGI is going for extra money. Why you ask? Where is the bundle to get all of them together? Surely you should be able to get all 3 for $50, plus your choice of 1 hero? Extra hero's at a reduced rate as well.

#65 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

So far i like the re-migniations of the mechs. and even adressed a few issues i have with the original arts.
I'll give the Marauder an 8/10. i was not really too big on the old marauder art becuase it looked too anorexic and spindly and feels stylistically out of place with Battletech. with the thin leg joints that look like it would break off if it gets hit by a med laser and that weird AC/5 turret that you wonder how ammo gets to by the stem. (since it was originally was a particle gun in Macross). the new design looks tough and menacing, most complaints i see is that it looks too clannish, but i think it works because the Marauder was meant to herald a "next generation" of mech design but never caught on due to the Star League's implosion. my problems with it is the canopy glass it a little too big. just shrink the rear side of the windows a bit. and also the arms. i'm not really feeling that slant on top of it. and actually quite disappointed that it does not look like the right arm from the Cataphract. (though it could actually be a stripped down version of the Marauder's arm)

The Warhammer: 9/10
Also i think is a genuine improvement from the old Warhammer art. it addresses the problem i had with the SRM6 pod being a bit oversized looking as well as being placed on thin stem. (in Macross it was a optional SAM missile pod that is disposable) and scaled down it's searchlight. which looks like a giant microwave oven on a stem.
my issue with it is the arms. look a little more like a thinner Loki PPC arms. if it used shimmering swords broad shoulder pauldron joints and boxy PPC design it would easily be a solid 10/10.

Rifleman: 7.5/10
A bit low ranking not because Alex messed it up or anything. infact, it feels VERY close to the original design (headlights, spoiler shaped radar bar). which was not a design i found particularly exciting. it's an anti-aircraft platform. it shoots down flying things. not much against other two legged war mechines anyway. i think the arm design looks excellent. i like how the gun barrels look different since the old rifleman art had identical barrels for the AC/5 and Large Laser. that bugged me a bit. though i think the "box" that connects to the main chassis could stand to be a little bit thicker. but other then that, it's good. it even has the protrusion on the side of the "box" (which i assume is the targeting optics).

This made me realize most of my problems with Alex's re imagining are mostly about the arms designs. haha.

Well, i am very interested in seeing what the Archer will be like (Please it be next month's nu-seen mech). since it is likely it will be the last mech i would buy. (unless the crusader looks really good, and i think the chance for the Guillotine to appear would after Project Phoenix II, which would be a long time. (if it's even going to appear))

Edited by Hollow Earth, 07 November 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#66 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:48 AM

Marauder: New
Warhammer: New
Rifleman: Neither

Though I don't have much nostalgia for them specifically. I've only bought the Marauder because I believe it will fill a genuine role for me.

#67 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostTuis Ryche, on 07 November 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

"I like honest feedback, just not honest feedback that I disagree with."

That said, I'm not giving PGI any more money since I already have a decent stable of mechs to work with and I'm not confident in the future of the changes that keep getting thrown about.

Maybe take your hateblinders off and re-read the feedback. It is good feedback. It clearly points out good AND bad and explains desired changes and why. Far more well thought out and posted then the BS we are used to around here of "This is dumb! Fix it nao!".

Good for you. Glad we all know that now. Cookie or ....?

#68 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

Marauder: This has been my favourite Mech for the past three decades, and for the most part, I like what we got... which is good because it's way too late to change anything about it now. That being said, I think CGL's design wins this. Too many little 'meh' bits on the MWO Marauder to make me fall in love with it, and that super-long, needlessly-wide torso is going to be disasterously detrimental to what might otherwise be my new standard Mech.

Warhammer: I've got nothing but a couple tiny nit-picks for this treasure. The main arms need just a bit more "back" to them, which Bishop's vents would add, and the spotlight could be a touch larger. Otherwise, THIS is a Warhammer.

Rifleman: I have never liked the Rifleman. I like it's Destroid counterpart, but in translating it to BattleTech too many sacrifices were made, turning it into a overheating deathtrap. Above all, I could never reconcile the identical weapon barrels containing dissimilar weapons, or the fact there were NO ports for the torso lasers. Thankfully, none of these seem to be an issue with MWO's new design. I'm loving this thing! The canopy could be a bit more angled and reinforced, like the Locust or Battlemaster, but otherwise, there are some very good design choices... given the "not a Destroid" criteria that must be met.

Legend-Killer paint? Wicked and wild. I like it, but why pink? An odd choice.

#69 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

Meh. The Marauder and Rifleman look too streamlined to be spheroid scum mechs. The Warhammer, in all respects save for its arm joints, looks like an IS chunky mech, but doesn't look like a warhammer

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostSilentSooYun, on 08 November 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Marauder: This has been my favourite Mech for the past three decades, and for the most part, I like what we got... which is good because it's way too late to change anything about it now. That being said, I think CGL's design wins this. Too many little 'meh' bits on the MWO Marauder to make me fall in love with it, and that super-long, needlessly-wide torso is going to be disasterously detrimental to what might otherwise be my new standard Mech.

Warhammer: I've got nothing but a couple tiny nit-picks for this treasure. The main arms need just a bit more "back" to them, which Bishop's vents would add, and the spotlight could be a touch larger. Otherwise, THIS is a Warhammer.

Rifleman: I have never liked the Rifleman. I like it's Destroid counterpart, but in translating it to BattleTech too many sacrifices were made, turning it into a overheating deathtrap. Above all, I could never reconcile the identical weapon barrels containing dissimilar weapons, or the fact there were NO ports for the torso lasers. Thankfully, none of these seem to be an issue with MWO's new design. I'm loving this thing! The canopy could be a bit more angled and reinforced, like the Locust or Battlemaster, but otherwise, there are some very good design choices... given the "not a Destroid" criteria that must be met.

Legend-Killer paint? Wicked and wild. I like it, but why pink? An odd choice.

always thought for it's stated "purpose" this made more sense in 3025
Posted Image

Only has a heat burden if moving while firing. 33 rounds per gun is more than enough, and it's "functional" firepower is not too much lower (the large lasers were all but unusable on the RFL-3N, between heat, and being a medium range weapon, exposed the RFL to too much return fire), while 1) keeping things at a range it's armor is not as much a liability, and 2) against Aerospace and vehicles, you are trying for crits against control surfaces as much as raw damage, which a constant barrage of AC2 would work well for. (especially against VTOLs and conventional fighters, which it faces more often than Aerospace)

Putting the lasers where the spotlights were works, and placing the spotlights higher on the pylons makes more sense especially in an anti AA role.

But that's just the overly logical lore guy in me coming out again.

#71 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 November 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

while I agree, most of the features they omitted, they did to get it past the LawsuitNazis at HG.

We don't know this yet, which is what makes me nervous about the whole thing.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostMister D, on 08 November 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

We don't know this yet, which is what makes me nervous about the whole thing.

actually, the fact that TOPPs has given CGL the go ahead to push forward on their end, tells us most of what we need to know, realistically. They can't talk about any settlements or agreements, in stuff like this, because they are almost always tied to Non Disclosure agreements.

But all parties involved, especially CGL and most especially Jordan Weisman, are all too familiar with HGs litigious nature. Both have had cease and desists and other such sent their way in the past (Jordan, multiple times).

WHile not a smoking gun, it stands to reason none of the above would be moving forward so gung ho about it, without very strong reason, after all this time.

#73 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

The Warhammer and Rifleman capture the feel of the old mechs better imho, although the riflemans arms look a bit overly streamlined.

The Marauder has chubby overly fat arms ( especially the short armored upper arms + pauldrons ) which manage to lose most of the preying mantis feel of the original. The Sidecheeks are also much too fat.....it feels like a King crab almost.
I also dont like the redesign of the gun pods.

On the plus side the autocannon mount looks good 'n functional ( I do like the old look as well ).

However......the current design looks GREAT if thay make it into the Marauder II. ( wtb wings !!!!!!!!!!!! ). :D

I think CGL's Marauder is much closer to capturing the look and feel of the original.

Edited by dwwolf, 08 November 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#74 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 07 November 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

Yes the Marauder arms are too short ... but can you imagine the hate that would be spewed at it if the arms were as long as they should be? The top of the weapon pods hanging right at knee level would be a disaster.

The only one that's iffy for me is the Rifleman. Partly because we didn't need it yet -- should have been a Phoenix Hawk or even a Crusader. But mostly because with the angle and dynamic pose I can't really tell what it looks like. Need to see the in-game model before I make final judgement.

You are forgetting that the marauder should be quite tall and spindly, the arm pods would still be decently high.
And besides that, the classic marauder pose is arms forward, raised fairly high.

#75 Crux7

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

ok so I have now played 2 games with eh new rifleman, and I am not happy so far.
not because the firepower seems low.
because they are made of glass.

both games I have blown up with only about 30 points.

from a couple of hits; nothing worth blowing up over.
so whatever it is, if it is ongoing and part of the design, I will be taking a break.

I spent a lot (to me) of money a while ago and so far it is worse than my Jagermech by far, and seems unplayable.
we'll see, but that's my first impression.

#76 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostCrux7, on 17 February 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

ok so I have now played 2 games with eh new rifleman, and I am not happy so far.

so whatever it is, if it is ongoing and part of the design, I will be taking a break.

I spent a lot (to me) of money a while ago and so far it is worse than my Jagermech by far, and seems unplayable.

The Rifleman is only 5 tons heavier than a medium mech. It will be lighter in the durability and firepower department.

If you own a Black Jack or have used one, think of it more like that (not counting the structure buffs). Basically your Rifleman should be a ranged fire support machine. Front load the armor, add some ranged high mount weapons, and hill/obstruction poke.

Maybe you could run in more the mid range with a pair of A/C10s, but I wouldn't lead the charge, I'd be the clean up guy.

This might be fun.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6e0e030a497037
Use the 2 A/C2s and 2 LLaser combo for poking, fire 1 LLaser with 2 MLasers at a time for shorter range threats. You could also go 2 UA/C5s and maybe 6 MLasers as well, or of course 2 A/C10s.

Maybe not the best, but seems like it could be fun. Might be a bit ammo light though...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eeb16dbd367ec07

Anyway, design wise...

*Love the Marauder's design (even if it isn't everyone's thing due to the large deviation from source). Still, It is my favorite of all of them.
*Warhammer looks cool too and fairly true to source material
*Rifleman looks also looks true to source material. I don't care for the design language much, but high mount weapons are always a win.
*Archer looks pretty cool (might be my second favorite), but it only exists in concept art so far so that may change. Not much on LRMs, so it doesn't appeal to me much. Not sure if SRMs are quite right for it either. We will see.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 17 February 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#77 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostCrux7, on 17 February 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

It's the same tonnage as the Dragon. 60 tonners have always been lackluster. Stick to ranged builds and fire support to limit the damage you take. Or BOOOM 20 builds, but wait until they're distracted.

#78 Crux7

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

3rd blew up quickly, even after increasing the armour to full. 4th game lasted a bit longer, to 160 damage done to others, but thanks to 4 shots from an AC20...then I disintegrated...

#79 Crux7

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

If you own a Black Jack or have used one, think of it more like that (not counting the structure buffs). Basically your Rifleman should be a ranged fire support machine. Front load the armor, add some ranged high mount weapons, and hill/obstruction poke

yes, I have BJs and use them that way, but even they can stand more damage it seems. even with full armour, same level as for jager, it blows up very quickly. almost like aluminium armour instead of steel

Edited by Crux7, 17 February 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#80 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

Prefer Catalyst's MAD as well but still happy with what we have. The Marauder was always going to be an awkward one to get "right" and I also think the WHM could have been a bit slimmer too but overall these new designs have my approval.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users