• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

The title says it. What would you recommend as the best medium for ballistics? Preferably more than 1 hardpoint for mediums. I am thinking maybe dual AC5 or some LBX action. Not really sure at this point but I want a medium that puts out a lot of DPS with mostly ballistic. Not really sure which way I should go.

#2 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

High DPS balistics with mediums? You got a number of options.

Blackjacks are a great option for high dps with balistics.
The BJ-1 and BJ-1DC have AC/2 cooldown quirks, resulting in insane fire rates.
The Shadowhawks have some pretty good balistic based builds too. The 2H can use 3 AC/2s for a long range dps powerhouse. While the 5M has decent UAC/5 quirks
The Centurion CN9-D is pretty much an automatic shotgun with its LB-10X quirks.
The Wolverine 6R is a decent choice for AC/5 suppression
The Enforcer 5P has some good UAC/5 quirks, while the 5D can do some work with its LB-10X
The Trebuchet 7K is uncommon, but decent with some AC/5s
The Dragon 1N and 5N, while not a Medium, is very similar to one. The 1N has great AC/5 quirks, while the 5N can suppress everything with UAC/5s+AC/2s

Of the mechs I suggested, heres them in order of best to worst.
1: Dragon DRG-1N
2: Blackjack BJ-1
3: Shadowhawk SHD-2H
4: Enforcer ENF-5P
5: Wolverine WVR-6R
6: Centurion CN9-D
7: Shadowhawk SHD-5M
8: Dragon DRG-5N
9: Blackjack BJ-1DC
10: Enforcer ENF-5D
11: Trebuchet TBT-7K

In all honesty though, mediums that use balistics arent the greatest. Even before the laser vomit meta, ballistics were simply too heavy for mediums, and required them to sacrifice precious speed, or loose alot of firepower. Especially ones that rely more on DPS than Alpha fire.
Its more common to see Mediums that rely on balistics using a single large one like an AC/20 or Gauss, and then torso twisting like crazy.
Examples: CN9-AH, HBK-4G, HBK-GI, ENF-4P, BJ-1 (sometimes), SHD-GD (Along with other variants).

Well, hope I helped you. See you on the battlefield!

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Enforcers all have ballistics. The ENF-4P is a solid AC20 platform (and the only one in the game whose AC20 arm is fully flexible); the ENF-4R is quirked for an AC10; the ENF-5D has good LB-10X quirks, and the ENF-5P is pretty much known for running around with dual UAC5s. All but the 4P have jump jets. The 4R is the only variant that does not have multiple ballistic hardpoints.

There are other options, but Enforcers seem to have more or less exactly what you're looking for- there's a variant for LBX, three variants can support dual AC5s (The 4P, 5D, and 5P- although the 5P is really best off with the UAC5s it comes with), and it is an XL-friendly chassis (meaning it has just enough tonnage to play around with dual AC5 or UAC5 effectively while still moving at a reasonable speed). The only real drawback to the Enforcers is that they don't offer high-mounted weapons.

#4 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

How about something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21f2a017552f7cd

#5 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

The HBK-4G is a solid bet for a ballistic medium. It offers 3 ballistic hardpoints, with the advantage of being high-mounted in the hunch. The disadvantage, of course, is that the hunch presents a massive hitbox, but this can be mitigated with some effort if you use the 4G with a shield arm. It can easily mount 2 AC/5s (such is actually my preferred build). It has a several useful ballistic quirks, and powerful quirks for the AC/20 specifically. I guess the main disadvantage is the Hunchback's low speed.

#6 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostXbwalker, on 08 November 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

How about something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21f2a017552f7cd

That is actually very bad low ammo and LBX sucks in general.

Wolverine-6R
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ea430fa6b5eed5

The assault rifle JJ Medium.

--

The dual UAC5 Enforcer 5D does its job too, just limited ammo.

--

Do take note.
Soon to be extinct post Rebalance...

Edited by ShinVector, 08 November 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#7 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'll admit, I don't know too much about medium mechs to have a strong opinion on them. But I've tried a couple that seemed to work just fine. Coming from a light pilot, I don't think medium mechs have tonnage for big ballistics, nor the armor for small high-facetime ballistics. But eh, I use an AC20 boom-chicken every so often, so I don't see why not to use a XL medium with a big gun.

CN9-AH "Berserker"

- Note the XL engine on this particular model. There are no weapons on its CT, so zombie centurion doesn't work too well on the AH. Your best bet is to dish out as much pain as you can before you die. XL helps with mobility and torso twisting, so this actually survives quite well.

CN9-AH "Half Zombie"

- Goes slightly faster. Has a STD engine, so it can zombie tank its left side. Only has an AC20 as a weapon, so it's pretty much dead if that goes boom.

BJ-1 "BoomJack"

- Goes pretty fast. Has a XL engine for extra mobility. MLs for backup when you're out of ammo, and JJs for poptarting over short buildings.

#8 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

There are a bunch of mediums that do very well with ballistics.

You can pretty much look at smurphy's and go with anyone of them that have one or more ballistics hardpoint on them and have something decent. However since you specifically mentioned Dual AC5 and LBX10's I figured I would share with you my favorite LBX10 build.
I love the ENF-5D with an LBX10
The build I have here is what I am currently playing. I also have one with an XL310 for a bit more speed, or drop a DHS for one more ton of ammo, I have done it both ways and 45 shots is usually plenty, but I will say I Have had matches where I have fired all 60 shots when going with 4 tons of ammo.
If you hate XL you can replace the MPLs with MLs or SPLs and put a STD 270, but I like the MPLs much better.

As for the Dual AC5's The ENF-5P is okay with 2 UAC5's but does not offer much else, but I do like the SHD-5M.
The SHD-5M is quite beastly. You may need to experiment with the ammo, but it should perform well.

Hope that helps

#9 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

From your description I think you should get a Dragon 1N. Its not a medium, but it handles like one, and is also the best dual AC5 platform in the game because of its quirks.

However, if you want to stick with mediums and go with dual ballistics I would get shadowhawks. At 55 tons its at the top of the weight scale for mediums and you will need the tonnage for dual ballistics. They are also high mounted on the shoulder which is ideal.

You can make dual ballistics work with lighter mechs but you will probably have to take an XL to make it viable.

#10 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostDA BAWSS, on 08 November 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

The Centurion CN9-D is pretty much an automatic shotgun with its LB-10X quirks.

This is one of my favorite loadouts. It's especially effective later on in matches (or in between rounds in CW), once armor has been stripped from some enemy mechs.

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

My two cents: This Shadowhawk is a superb heavy/assault support skirmisher. Engage with your bigs and hammer the enemy as they try to focus on the Assaults and Heavies, then plaster anyone who tries to flank or harass (particularly lights.)

#12 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

Was just reviewing the quirks of some mechs and saw that the Wolverine 6R has 20% cooldown quirks for AC5's and ballistics, so it would make a superb dual AC5 platform.

I'd probably run it like this WVR-6R

#13 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Keep in mind when purchasing a mech, the weapon quirks may not be around for much longer.

In any case, these would be my top three choices when going for medium-class ballistics:

Blackjack

This would be top pick. I don't own one, but I have faced it enough times to know without a doubt it is a formidable mech. The hardpoint placement for this mech is key. They're right at cockpit level, so you can do a lot of peeking and pepper opponents with some AC2 fire from range with minimal risk of getting picked off.

Centurion

This is my 50-ton IS brawler mech of choice. Depending on the variant, you can equip any size AC on this mech, along with support lasers and missiles. The Hunchback and Shadowhawk can also equip some nice AC, but with the hardpoint located in a side torso hump you tend to get focused rather quickly, whereas the Centurions arm sits low and away from the torso. This way, if they seriously try hard to take out your gun there's a chance they will miss and not hit another vital location. You can also block shots with the left arm, which is a plus for brawling.

Wolverine

I like this 55-ton mech mainly for the auxiliary SRMs that it can equip. However, there is a nice AC variant with MASC for increased mobility, great for all situations.

#14 JesterMWO

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Centurion 9d is my medium of choice, xl300, 2 medium lasers plus ac2 and ac5. With ac5 cooldown and range modules the ac5 cooldown and range match up well, effectively giving you ac ac7. Decent speed, pretty tough and quick movement. Great all rounder.

Don't see this build on the battlefield and enjoy taking on lb10x 9ds at range and winning.

Edited by JesterMWO, 11 November 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#15 LeRagpicker

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

I just LOVE the dual UAC/5s on this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3933e6109071abe, 2 med Laser as backup while retaining acceptable speed. With the new Quirks comming it will even be more awesome!

#16 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

Treb 7k also can do ac20 also makes a great sniper with Gauss rifle/erppc. I normally run 1 ac5 2 lpls ( also getting improved quirks soon )

I also like the bj1 with gauss rilfe 4 med lasers

Bjarrow machine guns 6 with 180 range really useful when running to hot. ( but heard its losing machine gun quirks )

Grid iron ( losing Gauss rifle quirks I believe )

Dragons flame ac20/Uac5/gauss rilfe/ high mounted slot great at poking over hills.

Fang ac10 is a thing of beauty.

#17 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

Just had a blast in Terra Therma with Enforcer 5P....holy cow do those dual uac's chew up enemys. Lets not forget Medium Mech Ignorability and you got yourself a kickass damage mech. So far ive been having a blast in Enforcers.

But yeah Enforcers and Hunchback-4G in my book are best ballistic mechs if you are looking to do carnage and mayham.

#18 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

I kind of can't believe the CN9-D's LBX quirks survived the latest patch, but I am grateful!

#19 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Before developing Mech Parkinson after the February 2015 patch, I would go with the Wang.

AC 20 and 2 MPL's. Running a 300 XL. Any thing running over 100 kph with an AC 20 is dangerous.

#20 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 03 December 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Just had a blast in Terra Therma with Enforcer 5P....holy cow do those dual uac's chew up enemys. Lets not forget Medium Mech Ignorability and you got yourself a kickass damage mech. So far ive been having a blast in Enforcers.

But yeah Enforcers and Hunchback-4G in my book are best ballistic mechs if you are looking to do carnage and mayham.

I really liked the ENF-5P, I leveled the chassis with the generic 2xUAC5 build and had a blast. But recently I tried this ENF-5P build and have been having great success with it. The Blackjack Arrow gave me the idea, it is not quite as good as the Arrow with this particular load out (Arrow gets 6MGs!), but is very cool running. Nice change of pace if you like the 5P and you don't want to be as restricted by ammo.

I originally ran it without FF armor, which allowed an extra ton of ammo with and XL265, but when they upped the ammo amount so I could get 40 shots with 2 tons of ammo I figured lets see how fast I can make this thing! LOL
All kidding aside, being able to go 104 kph and rapid fire (cooldown modules for both LBX and LPL) it can get quite viscous if you come up behind some poor soul.

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 03 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users