Gameplay

86 replies to this topic

#81 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 November 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

Being a space pirate is not harassing other players. It is playing the game how it is meant to be played. Space piracy is one of the principal ways to play that the game advertised since its inception.

SO... sorry, take your judgmental attitude and go -->.

I'm one of the nice ones. I don't shoot first.

Blah... most of the time when people defend idiocy like "space piracy," it's really just a form of seal-clubbing or hunting down non-combat vessels and killing them in droves as a form of trolling. It's like the sociopath idiots in EVE who think it's "fun" and "shows skill" to hunt down and kill miners and anyone else who is not playing the game for combat rewards and who has marginal ability to defend themselves. In short, they win by hurting others - how mature!

Also, just because being a space pirate is "difficult to do" doesn't mean it is right. It's also difficult to rob a bank successfully or get away with murder - does that make those acceptable as well? God, the idiocy... it's one thing to look for a challenge, but with too many people, that challenge most also involve hurting somebody else for it to "have meaning" - and then they wonder why we call them sociopaths!

It is amazing the level of downright lousy, selfish, and sociopath behavior that is allowed and even encouraged on the internet and in online games. Can one imagine pulling this type of crap in a real-world game? Such as trying to turn a game of chess into a boxing match by punching your opponent unexpectedly? That's about the level of maturity involved in the typical form of "space piracy" or seal-clubbing in most online games that have no permanent separation between PvE and PvP... ugh!

Edited by oldradagast, 15 November 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#82 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 15 November 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

stuff

Ahem. I'll let one of my taxpayers speak for me. I found this post on the Elite forums today...

Doing my best, but with a Cobra, it's not a huge contribution at a time, but interestingly I found the Cobra completed a load of approximately 60 tons in the same amount of time it took me to try it in a T6. Although the Cobra has a payload of about 16 tons (with all the other stuff I have on board), it could cover the jumps faster and with little risk of being shot up after interdiction.

I did get interdicted at Kaushpoos once, tried to escape but had my power plant disabled: but the Pirate was very reasonable - kindly requested 25% of my load and then told me how to repair my ship to get home. He had the fire power to ******* apart ! This gave me a good feeling about many of the characters we meet in this CG, no matter what role they are playing. He is a credit to the Pirateers in Elite :-)

I collected his taxes yesterday. Those are his words, not mine. Thank you for your time.

#83 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostZibmo, on 15 November 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Thanks for saving me the cash. As for judgmental: you have the choice to play a douche (aargh matey, cuz pirates be cool, right?) or not. And you chose...?

How people behave when given a choice reveals a lot about their characters. And the people in question CHOSE to make their career basically hurting others and reducing their fun... and then try to justify it with how "hard it is to pull off." Which is just the type of excuse that somebody in Arkham Asylum would make to justify their sociopath behavior. "I mean, sure - I killed all those people, but with Batman around... well, it was hard! So it's ok, because it was a challenge!"

Sociopaths...

#84 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

View PostNick86, on 11 November 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

My patience has run out. I may be back but I'm happy to let my 93 days of active premium time run down as it stands. I'll never give PGI another cent and look forward to the kickstarter coming out from HBS as I hope that it will take some of the best things in MWO and purge the rubbish.

How exactly is a Turn based tactical group game, and a FPS anything alike? I like mech commander as much as the next guy, but it's certainly no mech warrior.

CW might be a mess for people with out a team, but over all i like the direction the game has gone in the last few years, and it has improved IMO. I am really happy to look towards the new balance changes..

PS bog is a very fun map, once you learn it.. Is it a tough map? yup, but they all can't be alpline.. Or can they.... ::Evil grin::

#85 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 November 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

Ahem. I'll let one of my taxpayers speak for me. I found this post on the Elite forums today...

I collected his taxes yesterday. Those are his words, not mine. Thank you for your time.

Right, because holding a guy up at gun point and then only demanding $20 from his wallet and recommending a good restaurant nearby before you let him limp home makes you a nice guy.

I'm only grateful that your kind usually act out these power fantasies in video games, not real life.

Edited by oldradagast, 15 November 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#86 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 15 November 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Right, because holding a guy up at gun point and then only demanding $20 from his wallet and recommending a good restaurant nearby before you let him limp home makes you a nice guy.

I'm only grateful that your kind usually act out these power fantasies in video games, not real life.

Sheesh. Did you ever play cops and robbers as a kid? How about army? How about action hero? How about guns?

I did. It was a normal part of play. And videogames are... play. We're playing a part. We are pretending to be something we otherwise would not be. We are playing to have fun.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 15 November 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#87 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Wildstreak's Online Gaming Rule #17 -
Instead of making a, "I am leaving Post," make a, "I am taking a Break," post with reasons. Seen on many game forums players do not like the, "I am leaving Post." They are better done on social media with your real life family/friends who, instead of being critical and complaining, will offer to take you out for a beer or such, especially if you have not been hanging out with them due to too much online gaming.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users