How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Working For You?

32 replies to this topic

#1 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Here's what trying to master my Ravens did to my pilot skills.

Over all Kill / Death Ratio is now 0.48

http://i.imgur.com/gH48SSs.jpg

On the up side I don't think I can go any lower.

:lol:

#2 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

That's about what mine is. But that's up from .17, which is where it was in August. So, there is that, at least :P

#3 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:26 PM

Maxed out T1 a while ago.

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

I don't see how mastering a mech can affect your piloting skill that much.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

I'm home at my tier level. My WLR is continuing to rise slightly, even after I hit T1, which is nice. I cannot bear the thought of playing in lower tier, where the challenge drops down significantly.

#6 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Well from that pic your closer to T4 than me and my K/D is 0.82.

#7 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

K/D isnt a factor. PSR is based of win loss ratio.

In saying that in T2 is good, plenty of good matches also plenty T1 pilots to kill.

#8 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 November 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

I don't see how mastering a mech can affect your piloting skill that much.

Pretty easy to do, especially if you have not played that many games to begin with.

#9 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

PSR is a joke. It's too easy to move up. But it doesn't matter as long as PGI keeps throwing tier 4s in my game anyway.

#10 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

You Tier 1 guys are funny. I am finding it relatively easy to progress upward as long as you are playing with your team, and playing mechs you are more often successful with.

My overall take on the system, is that it is good in that it gets players to focus less on their KDRs which is meaningless.
It is not that meaningful either as it does not actually reflect your individual performance, but it highly dependent on winning, which is pretty much beyond individual control.

#11 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hah, OP. That was about my KDR when I was trying to master my UrbanMechs with standard 60s (mind you, my kdr for my Urbies were even less until I changed the engines on them...).

The tier system is... ok. I find that as long as I roll with a decent mech, and contribute to the team, the bar always goes up even if I am having a bad day. This leads me to suspect that the Tiers have more to do with experience than skill (unless you are an UrbieWarrior just having fun).

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

View PostMW222, on 11 November 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

well, my Alt Acct had a lot of fun, initially, as a Tier 4. Actually had a lot less stomps in either direction. And the freedom to run stuff like my stock Summoner Prime, with impunity.

Leveled into tier 3, on that one and this acct...... and pretty much seems like the same crap as before the switch, TBH. Maybe not as long of streaks trending either way, but the overall level of play, cooperation, etc?

Just as crappy as ever.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 11 November 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#14 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 11 November 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

You Tier 1 guys are funny. I am finding it relatively easy to progress upward as long as you are playing with your team, and playing mechs you are more often successful with.

My overall take on the system, is that it is good in that it gets players to focus less on their KDRs which is meaningless.
It is not that meaningful either as it does not actually reflect your individual performance, but it highly dependent on winning, which is pretty much beyond individual control.

KDR on it's own doesn't mean much in most instances.
The extremely high or low KDRs do give a sign tho.

#15 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 11 November 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostSylonce, on 11 November 2015 - 09:30 PM, said:

Hah, OP. That was about my KDR when I was trying to master my UrbanMechs with standard 60s (mind you, my kdr for my Urbies were even less until I changed the engines on them...).

The tier system is... ok. I find that as long as I roll with a decent mech, and contribute to the team, the bar always goes up even if I am having a bad day. This leads me to suspect that the Tiers have more to do with experience than skill (unless you are an UrbieWarrior just having fun).

It is way too easy to move up. After a 10 month break I made Tier 1 in about a week. Mind you, this is on Oceanic server where it's always seal clubbing unless it's Australian prime time. The group que here can literally take and hour to find a match, so I pug it. The matches have a single, MAYBE 2 tier 1s on each side. Me bringing one of my fun mechs pretty much kills the team. I still do better than most of them but I can't carry. My cheesy carry timber has a 1.9 w/l and a 3.7 kdr. Outside of Aussie prime time I almost always lead the match and my performance and that of the opponents' Tier 1 usually dictate a win or loss. When I was in NA, it was different, I could bring my Mist Lynx, hold my own and still win. Here, if I don't pick up everyone else's slack, we loose.

#16 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 November 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

[center]

Posted Image

You nailed it. LOL.

#17 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 11 November 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

K/D isnt a factor. PSR is based of win loss ratio.

In saying that in T2 is good, plenty of good matches also plenty T1 pilots to kill.

PSR is based on WLR and match score. KDR is a factor.

#18 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:53 AM

I have about 8 mechs I am currently mastering. I am constantly switching between them, different loadouts, different styles, to get the x2 first match bonus. Despite this I am creeping inevitably towards T2. Damn that green arrow!

#19 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Working fine for me, I've been hovering back and forth between tier 3 and 2 for a couple weeks.

As my performance levels have finally normalised with the competition I'm no longer automatically increasing in PSR. I actually have to get better to go up in PSR from here. I do think the time to get the correct value was too long, but it's definitely, evidently, not only about time spent. People go both up and down, and they reach plateaus of performance where they get stuck as well, just like they should.

So the problems I see are that it takes too long, and that the roof is too low for the top tier players who get to max tier 1 way too quickly. It should be a zero sum system where only the one absolute best player is max tier one and only the absolute worst player is bottom tier 5, with everyone else in between. I don't understand why this isn't the case but perhaps there is some reason I'm unaware of.

#20 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

So for me its working out. I fluctuate between a T3 and T4. Im a solid T3 when I running around in mechs I'm familiar with like my Dragon, Blackjack or Warhawk, but as soon as I start grinding in a new mech to level it I drop hard into T4 territory. Id say that in general thats the way it would work with most players. As you play mechs your familiar with you float into your "proper" tier (and if that mech is meta, you shoot up in tiers) but as you start playing mechs your not familiar with or just plain bad with to grind and level them, your Tier will drop quickly.

I'd say it doing what it should. But that's my experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users