1 reply to this topic

#1 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

While I'm sure PSR works well for 99% of the community, with Tier 5 being those guys in training, Tier 4 being the non-team players, etc., there are those edge-cases, like me, who are there to help the team in any way possible. I take direction, I go where I'm asked or needed, whichever is more important; I am a team player. That's mainly what PSR is developed on, right? Well, if it's true that my individual play is crossed with the team play, win or loss, to determine how well I did in a match, but I'm a real team player, is there a way to delineate my play from those who are just out for themselves, who couldn't obey an order, or at least a good idea, to save themselves, let alone the team?

#2 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

I agree that PSR is not right and I suspect it doesn't work in a lot of cases.

Increases in PSR are related to match score and winning. Match score is strongly affected by damage done.

The most successful way to farm high damage is in a high dps heavy support mech that takes advantage of the other players on their team as meat shields. In many cases, this person is only out to maximize their match score .. win or lose .. and is not specifically contributing to winning in any tactical or strategic sense beyond damage done.

They may be the last one standing doing damage until the end in the middle of a lost cause but their PSR rises on the loss just due to damage done.I saw this type of thing happen before PSR so I am sure it still happens now.

In addition, Paul has stated that if everyone plays long enough they will all be tier 1 or tier 2. The PSR system does not then reflect skill but rather is more of an XP bar that reflects the number of games played. However, playing a lot of games does not guarantee either skill or knowledge of how to work as part of a team.

So ... basically ... PSR as a method of rating players relative skill is completely borked. However, it can be somewhat considered as an indicator of in game experience since a high PSR and tier will usually mean a lot of games played.

Unfortunately, I suspect match quality will get worse and worse over time as players migrate to higher tiers. There are some posts on the forum indicating that matches from tier 4 are more balanced and can be more team focused and organized than at tier 3 ... the only difference between tier 3 and tier 4 matchmaking is the possible addition of tier 1 players to tier 3 matches ... this addition does not seem to improve team work and if anything makes it worse.

My hope is that PGI has some metrics that they are tracking looking at PSR distribution by pilot and usual mech weight class used by that pilot along with games played. It would also be interesting to compare the ratings under the Elo system to the PSR one. Finally. ,metrics for ongoing match quality as a function of average PSR in each match and how well balanced each match is would also be useful.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users