Merge Skill Tree And Modules

No replies to this topic

#1 Sythe

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

The current skill tree is just a wast of space. It is merely a mechanic to force people to buy three mechs. I feel we should be pushing harder for it to be replaced. Below is my thoughts for overhauling it with a module based system.

I think they need to tie the skill tree to module slots and turn the bonuses it currently gives into modules. The mechs would get modules for each mech section (head, torsos, arms, legs). As you fill your slots on a mechs you will elite/master it and open new slots.Then depending on the mech additional slots can be given to mechs. Default for all mechs would be one slot for each component location at basic. Elite will give a minumum of 2 modules (one AS and one DS), more depending on the mech. Master will give a minumum of on GS with more depending on the mech. Modules being tied to actual locations means the effects will be destroyed if the location is lost.

Modules slots would fit into one of the categories.

General Slot (GS): As any module for the location can go in it

Attack Slot (WS): Weapon Modules can be equipped

Defense Slot (DS): Defensive modules cover maneuverability and passive systems, i.e. heat affecting, and additional structure/armor.

Support Slots (SS): Covers upcoming info tech and engine functions

Consumable Slots (CS): Self explanatory.

An example could be a LCT-1M:

Head: Basic GS and 2CS

RT: Basic GS,

CT: Basic GS, Elite GS*, Master GS

LT: Basic GS,

RA: Basic GS, Elite AS

LA: Basic GS, Elite AS

LL: Basic GS, Elite DS, Master DS

RR: Basic GS, Elite DS, Master DS

The way the system would work is all mechs start out with the GS unlocked. To equip a module it cost 1000 xp and 100k cbills. The base module doesn't cost extra. Then to unlock the first set of if first elite module you would you would need to own a second chassis. The module cost would be the same. Then to get the third module you would need to own a third chassis. Module would still cost the same. You will need to spend GPX and cbills to upgrade modules from 1 to 5. All modules should be upgradeable but be specific to each mech. I want to say all modules should cap at 5% with the ability for equip multiples of the same module. Each module would then have to be upgraded seperately. Only consumables would be able to transfer between mechs.

Modules can be removed by spending XP and cbill. You essentially buy the module again. To balance better mechs they will get fewer slots. A direwolf, for example, would not get GS for the legs and would get fewer non-General slots for elite and master levels.

What this system offers is greater customization. It will allow mechs that need more cooling the ability to stack cooling. Thought they will lose other features like mobility. In this model all modules should take on the upgrade ability so you can continue to have advancement even after you fill all your slots. While it seems like more modules to grind you get to pick your progress path and counter any negative aspects of a mech right from the start. By removing the skill tree and moving to a module tree you streamline the games advancement system and remove arbitrary hurdles. Mech also don't need negative quirks because now all the quirks are essentially selectable and "better" mechs will just have fewer modules.

TLDR: Remove the skill tree and replace with modules. Modules will be for all aspects of a mech (Attack, Defend, etc. ) Balance mechs with number of modules it receives. Allow all modules to be upgraded for continues mech progression.

The lore tie in I see is that the pilots are using empty space in their mechs to improve key aspects.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users