steam

29 replies to this topic

#1 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

I saw Mechwarrior Online birth years ago. I love mechwarrior, even though I prefer a single player game, I eventualy tried MWO and the controls and feel was awesome. The UI and Options were terrible but I'am sure that changed. I've always been thinking of trying it again and now with steam, that time has come.
Don't want to push my luck but look at path of exile, they integrated so well. Then there was tribes ascend which was Terrible. So here's hoping you do a good job and I can finaly enter and stick with MWO.
ps. Please do a MW5 or at least put MW4 on steam.... thank you.
ps..I couldnt participate in the steam discussion in the general section.....

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

Recent news from the developer sound like you'll be getting your wish, regarding single-player/MW5. They've recently shifted a lot of development resources towards AI and single-player content for MWO. So I think you'll be getting your MW5, if not under that name, at least in effect, as single-player content within MWO. This was talked about in a recent town-hall meeting with the developer CEO:

Spoiler

I think it's a long way off though, at least several months, so in the meanwhile you'll have to put up with multiplayer. It's quite a nice community though, and it's really OK -- there're a lot of us here who'd really prefer single player, but enjoy multiplayer nonetheless.

#3 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Shin, join the Kurita faction. We have a semi regular group of small units and lone wolves that meet on teamspeak, have fun and do drops together.
HouseKurita.tserverhq.com ts

Edited by MechregSurn, 14 November 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#4 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

View Postjss78, on 14 November 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

Recent news from the developer sound like you'll be getting your wish, regarding single-player/MW5. They've recently shifted a lot of development resources towards AI and single-player content for MWO. So I think you'll be getting your MW5, if not under that name, at least in effect, as single-player content within MWO. This was talked about in a recent town-hall meeting with the developer CEO:

Spoiler

I think it's a long way off though, at least several months, so in the meanwhile you'll have to put up with multiplayer. It's quite a nice community though, and it's really OK -- there're a lot of us here who'd really prefer single player, but enjoy multiplayer nonetheless.

Missed that bit of info. Now that is great news!

#5 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostMechregSurn, on 14 November 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Shin, join the Kurita faction. We have a semi regular group of small units and lone wolves that meet on teamspeak, have fun and do drops together.
HouseKurita.tserverhq.com ts

Yeah. Kurita is sporting lots of action these days.

My one piece of advice if you will be giving this game a fresh start - WATCH TUTORIAL VIDEOS. Oh and expect to die...like alot.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

PGI wanted to make a little old game called Mechwarrior 5, A single player game set in 3015 before the peak of 3025 when tech is coming back- or before the clan invasion of 3050. It's an interesting time there and would be awesome for us mechwarrior fans.
But this wasn't to come. PGI dream... as they were not the first Mechwarrior 5 to be made (Earlier known as "Mechwarrior Prime"), which got cancelled... MW5 followed the same way as they got lawsuited by Harmony gold and just like MWP they had to leave the game alone due to economic issues... BUT unlike MW: P, MW5 now known as MW: O was born from the ashes- not the Devs direct dream but an extent of it... however Russ has not forgotten about MW: 5 and the single player. They always wanted to do it and I knew that threw very vague hints in town halls and comments that even 1 and a half years ago I knew they will try to make a singleplayer game, Rather it be a branch from MW: O or a new game- all I know is it'll use the same engine and resources.

MW5 may not come around due to legal issues and bankruptcy tied to the name... for PGI it'll be easier to call it well- Mechwarrior Online. No need to copy right it and since it's using all the same resources it can be on the same game client.

Now for the steam release: PGI can not release Mechwarrior 4 (rather normal, vengeance, mercs, or black knight) as they do not own the rights to that game. If PGI would fight hard enough to get those rights and get that game under their name I think they would rather make a reboot of Mechwarrior 4- not saying they will however... but I do wish they do something with clan ghost bear, FRR, Kurita, Liao, and Marik in a MW game... those factions are often neglected.

#7 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Thank you for all the great answers.
I didnt know about those problems with the IP rights with MW name. I mean MW4, AFAIKnew was free to download... Sure it would be best if PGI could get the rights, but if they can't it's not really a problem.
It's a waste to not make a SP game with all this resources already done, engine, mechs, maps, just hire some voice actors for the missions, program some AI and let us blow stuff!

Since you recommend watching Tut videos, I assume it still isnt clear for new players, (when I played I couldnt even discover how to bind weapons to the keyboard-basic in older mws) maybe improve that for steam release? Make a map for testing weapons.
Thousands will join that day and first impressions are very important.

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostShinRazor, on 18 November 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Thank you for all the great answers.
I didnt know about those problems with the IP rights with MW name. I mean MW4, AFAIKnew was free to download... Sure it would be best if PGI could get the rights, but if they can't it's not really a problem.
It's a waste to not make a SP game with all this resources already done, engine, mechs, maps, just hire some voice actors for the missions, program some AI and let us blow stuff!

Since you recommend watching Tut videos, I assume it still isnt clear for new players, (when I played I couldnt even discover how to bind weapons to the keyboard-basic in older mws) maybe improve that for steam release? Make a map for testing weapons.
Thousands will join that day and first impressions are very important.

Isn't testing grounds and the Academy the "testing map" you recommend?

#9 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 18 November 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Isn't testing grounds and the Academy the "testing map" you recommend?

Probably, sry, as I said I intend to join again with the steam release and havent tried it in a (big) while, if thats solved, great.
btw, heard about onslaught, does that have AI?

#10 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostShinRazor, on 18 November 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

Probably, sry, as I said I intend to join again with the steam release and havent tried it in a (big) while, if thats solved, great.

You could technically say very basic ai-yes.
But the movement of the onslaught mode is a-bit rail based. They only move to point A and point B the most direct fashion and than stop. They can shoot however which isn't pre determined.

As others and I mentioned, It's only very basic ai at the current momment, and it's being worked on- eventually we will have more freely moving ai later. and later may see some more single player missions.

#11 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

I've been testing it and the academy is great, sure the enemy AI are "sentries" but nice addition.
So I guess I will join Kurita, i dont use TS and I usually take a heavy mech... does it really worth it to take a light when you are starting to play? Should I just hit quickplay?

btw 2.500 players on Steam, not bad!

Edited by ShinRazor, 11 December 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#12 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

Spoiler

Agreed. I'm guessing we could see a polished tutorial zone plus sneak peek at single-player campaign by the end of next year.

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

Recent news from the developer sound like you'll be getting your wish, regarding single-player/MW5. They've recently shifted a lot of development resources towards AI and single-player content for MWO.

This is great news - it'll solve ghost drops and a lot of other issues. As I've said many times, I'd much rather have to stomp down a Demolisher or Ontos tank than a turret.

#14 MetaDroid

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hopefully que times are lowered !

#15 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostShinRazor, on 18 November 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

No, the 'mechs just rush you - it's a marksmanship and heat management trainer, not an AI combat lane.

Queue times haven't been a problem for me - maybe it's just your tier and playing times? I know Tier 5 has matchmaker restrictions to prevent your having to deal with top-level players, but I don't know exactly how it works. Or did you mean for CW?

#16 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Out of curiosity, what about tribes was 'terrible' other than the lack of dev support (till now!!)?

#17 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

IMO. Tribes had/has a launcher after running in steam. This launcher would update alot and worse, I dont remember 100%, but it installed something in the windows boot and required permissions. It was half the reason I never touched it again, shady upgrading programs or anti cheat (not the case I think) is something I lost patience.

MWO is not bad, if they could allow us to associate steam account to our mwo login I would be happy.
The game is keeping 2000 players just in steam, and quickplay is working fine. But CW or factions is just trash. Just warning new players.

#18 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Upon seeing MW:O on my steam queue, I uninstalled MW:O, installed it over steam and got back into the game. A lot has changed, e.g. performance is way better now and the new tutorial/academy is really great.

Although I do find the TK penalty in the Tutorial a bit weak, I would have expected weapons lock and having to do ten rounds around the block or something.

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostExilyth, on 23 February 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Upon seeing MW:O on my steam queue, I uninstalled MW:O, installed it over steam and got back into the game. A lot has changed, e.g. performance is way better now and the new tutorial/academy is really great.

Although I do find the TK penalty in the Tutorial a bit weak, I would have expected weapons lock and having to do ten rounds around the block or something.

Welcome back, XD.

The teamkill penalty is actually two fold:

1- A deduction of XP, C-Bills, and Matchscore.

2- Multiple KDs will actually red flag your account for moderation. Of course, if it's 10 kills over a year, that's nothing, but 10 TKs within a week, or two, then yeah, red flags.

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostShinRazor, on 06 January 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

IMO. Tribes had/has a launcher after running in steam. This launcher would update alot and worse, I dont remember 100%, but it installed something in the windows boot and required permissions. It was half the reason I never touched it again, shady upgrading programs or anti cheat (not the case I think) is something I lost patience.

MWO is not bad, if they could allow us to associate steam account to our mwo login I would be happy.
The game is keeping 2000 players just in steam, and quickplay is working fine. But CW or factions is just trash. Just warning new players.

Not sure I agree with the assessment of CW, but okay. Each may have his opinion.

And yeah, I avoided Tribes Ascend because it just FELT cheap and hokey to me, and that's always no-go territory.

This game's gonna be around for a while, in some form or another. Russ is talking about upgrading the game engine, and with the massive cost of licensing a game engine that means a BIG investment on PGI's part. They're not going to make that kind of investment to just let it fall apart. Russ has also previously mentioned work on AI to bring about more PvE experience. Whether that means a full-on SP campaign or not, or even a couple of MP COOP opportunities, remains to be seen. The very basic stuff is showcased in the Academy right now. And they opened a small can of worms with selling the Kodiak as a new series of releases, the "Totem Mech Collection". Packaging it for early adopters with a specific faction camo (Clan Ghost Bear, and the clock is ticking for that BTW) means they're at least heavily implying there will be more.

On the horizon this year? CW Phase 3, to include a new 4v4 game mode. More mechs, including perhaps another Clan wave (it's been STRONGLY suggested, and Russ has sought community input on what mechs are most wanted). A PGI-hosted championship tournament of some sort. Maybe a new 12v12 ("quick play") game mode. Splitting CW queue into team and non-team.

If you had asked me back in Open Beta if this game was going to make it even THIS long, I'd have been skeptical. More than three years later, it's still here and so am I. Take that for what it's worth (at least until DooM comes out, or Borderlands 3 is officially announced).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users