Remove The 3 Variants Required To Master Rule

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the 3 mechs to master rule be removed? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the 3 mechs to master rule be removed?

1. Yes, allow mechs to be elited and mastered without having to use additional variants (47 votes [44.76%])

Percentage of vote: 44.76%

2. Yes, allow mechs to be elited and mastered after using 2 variants (23 votes [21.90%])

Percentage of vote: 21.90%

3. No, don't change it (34 votes [32.38%])

Percentage of vote: 32.38%

4. Yes, more than 3 variants should have to be basiced before a variant can be elited or mastered (1 votes [0.95%])

Percentage of vote: 0.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Herkras

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

I've been playing for a few months now. I may probably still need some more experience.
But this is about gameplay and it does nothing but add extra time 'mastering' a 'Mech. I get the idea that its about trying all the variants so you can find the one best suit your style. But if that's the case I would buy them to try them willingly, not just to max and sell them afterwards. This may be specially frustrating and time consuming with Clan 'Mechs because their high prices.

Yes, you can sell and buy the next variant, but it still not necessary nor worth it. Sometimes turning into some very frustrating experiences when lets say X variant is good Y variant is okay but Z variant is just painfully bad or not suiting of your playstyle.

A personal experience of mine is with the Catapult 2K. I loved the PPCs and if I could I would've mastered it, but I cant because I first need to farm the other LRM boats, which I personally dont like to play as... So yeah. I personally think you should be able to master each variant indivually without needing to purchace the other 2

#22 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostHerkras, on 02 June 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

I've been playing for a few months now. I may probably still need some more experience.
But this is about gameplay and it does nothing but add extra time 'mastering' a 'Mech. I get the idea that its about trying all the variants so you can find the one best suit your style. But if that's the case I would buy them to try them willingly, not just to max and sell them afterwards. This may be specially frustrating and time consuming with Clan 'Mechs because their high prices.

Yes, you can sell and buy the next variant, but it still not necessary nor worth it. Sometimes turning into some very frustrating experiences when lets say X variant is good Y variant is okay but Z variant is just painfully bad or not suiting of your playstyle.

A personal experience of mine is with the Catapult 2K. I loved the PPCs and if I could I would've mastered it, but I cant because I first need to farm the other LRM boats, which I personally don't like to play as... So yeah. I personally think you should be able to master each variant individually without needing to purchase the other 2

A good example of why the 3 variant rule is not needed. It is better to let people enjoy the F2P game. instead of being frustrated by it. They could increase the skill points if needed for each skill by 2.5x and remove the 3-varient rule. GXP can still be used on any mech.

Edited by zolop, 24 June 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#23 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

I can agree with this. I have enough EXP built up on my Mist Lynx to master it by now, but I can't because of the cost of the other two variants needed. Seriously, I can buy a Rifleman for less than a Mist Lynx.

#24 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

One obvious thing that I didn't mention.

PGI will probably be against it... because of the F2P model the game runs on. You'll need more mech bays (eventually) = which in most cases can only be bought by RL money.

#25 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

View Postlazytopaz, on 27 June 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

One obvious thing that I didn't mention.

PGI will probably be against it... because of the F2P model the game runs on. You'll need more mech bays (eventually) = which in most cases can only be bought by RL money.

Well, the three mech stuff keeps me (and maybe others) from buying new mechs. Grinding one mech to mastery would be fine, but having to do it with three mechs? Makes me carefully consider if I buy a new mech, and most of the time the answer is a clear "No way!".

#26 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

Fortunately, the 3 mech rule is going away with the skill change coming up (May? June?).

I suspect that there will still be very valid reasons for having multiple variants of a mech type. In some cases, I suspect it will simply be the different hardpoint options.
However, if PGI is smart, they will actually offer some sort of benefit to continuing to master, and own, multiple variants. Extra spec points or some such.
If this was the first implementation (ie. back at release), I might have established a precedent of mastering multiple variants unlocking the hero or champion types for said mech. I suppose they could still do that now, after a fashion, by allowing you to convert (for a combination of a large amount of gxp along with some mc) one of your variants to a reduced value hero/champ (+10% cbill or xp, for example). Again, this would only work if you had mastered (however that is defined in the new system) and still own multiple variants of a chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users