Command Console And Information Warfare Proposal

60 replies to this topic

#1 Crackerbox

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

A lot of us around here want to have the scoreboard populate when you see and enemy mech. A lot of us want a way to the Command Console to be useful.

So here's my line of thinking:

Last night I was involved in coordinating 12 man drops and we were - for the most part - able to focus fire fairly effectively and have a good idea of what enemy composition was on our own, but it would have been easier with a way built in to keep track of it without looking at a scoreboard (like proposed in other threads)

Posted Image

I mocked up an example of my idea. It's simple (at least to make sense of) and I would definitely give up 3 tons of my mech for the ability for this kind of information to be at my fingertips.

With the way things seemed to be balanced in MWO, I had some ideas on how to make it work without overproviding information on the enemy team (and contribute to the pillar of Information Warfare):

- The Command Console only displays information to the mech that has the CC installed. No brainer.
- The Command Console display is populated when a friendly target lock is held long enough to provide information on a target.
- The Command Console display only updates while an enemy mech is targeted. For example, if the Atlas in the scene lost its target lock on the Commando and the Commando took damage from another source, the % HP left would not be updated in the Command Console display until a friendly target lock was established again.
- While under the effect of enemy ECM, targeting information will not be updated in any way.

While I'm sure more features could be implemented using the Command Console, this alone would provide field commanders with the information ammunition to make critical battlefield decisions without having an game-breakingly significant advantage over commanders that choose not to use it.

Edited by Crackerbox, 13 November 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#2 BlackPhoenix01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,459 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNJ/NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

I think this is a great idea.

#3 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

What a good idea! I too would be willing to give up 3 tons in a mech for this type of ability!

#4 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Interesting - and useful - idea. I like it.

#5 Pwnocchio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

This game is terrible at communicating useful tactical information, so any changes to improve this situation are worth looking into.

#6 Minoxen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Wicked start for the Command Console! As OP said, it can have additional features, but this feature is a great start!

#7 MaverickGTO

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

looks good I would run the command console if it could do that

#8 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

I can totally dig it.

#9 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

This is a good idea for either the command console or the C3 slave network.

#10 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

That is an excellent idea!!

Edited by 100mile, 13 November 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#11 Thomas Alderman

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Awesome Idea! might actually make me hop back in an atlas! :D

#12 ALKALIN3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Cheers to the idea, *******! Bout time somebody 'round here did something useful :D

#13 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

That would be super useful. Maybe not useful enough on its own to warrant the weight of the console, but it's a good start.

#14 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Posted Image

Tack this on as well.

While in the battlegrid you would be able to see all 'Actively targeted and scanned enemy mechs" so you could see where they are at (So long as your team has them targeted or spots them) and see what loadout they have.

All in the battlegrid.

Then you could prioritize enemy mechs. For example, Atlas - Highest priority, public enemy number 1, and then down on the list.

Or even assign a lance to engage particular targets. Whenever those friendly mechs had that priority enemy target within view their icon would should purple or Red + yellow around the target letting them know that your commander wants them to go down first.

#15 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

great ideas in this thread

#16 Blissful Negligence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

I approve of these ideas. Good stuff! GI Joe said it best: "Knowing is half the battle."

Posted Image

#17 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

BUMP FOR THE DEVELOPER GAWDS!

#18 Crackerbox

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

An added idea that I had today while running around is perhaps a consumables counter?

This wouldn't be much of a use in PUG play, but in a 12 v 12 environment, having an inventory of your team would be really helpful

#19 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

A one use consumable that i think would work good with the command console would be satellite scan. Satscan would work like UAV for same time length, and upgrade like it as well. But cover the whole map for the time limit instead of a small area. And could only be used by a mech with command console since it is the only one with the equipment onboard to uplink with a satellite.

I do not think it would be overpowered ingame. after all you have to spend a million for the console. It takes 3 tons and a slot. And then you would have to buy Satscan as well, and it would take up a module space.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 17 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

A one use consumable that i think would work good with the command console would be satellite scan. Satscan would work like UAV for same time length, and upgrade like it as well. But cover the whole map for the time limit instead of a small area. And could only be used by a mech with command console since it is the only one with the equipment onboard to uplink with a satellite.

I do not think it would be overpowered ingame. after all you have to spend a million for the console. It takes 3 tons and a slot. And then you would have to buy Satscan as well, and it would take up a module space.

I like all of the ideas but this one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users