Launcher Not Launching, Strange Task Manager Behavior

9 replies to this topic

#1 TheMightyBoolean

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:11 AM

Hi there, I'm starting MWO again after awhile. When I try to run it the patcher/client doesn't load. When I try again it gives me "You already have an instance of bootstrap patcher running." I try to go to the task manager to kill it but it keeps popping in and out of the list so that I cannot click end task. It will appear in the list for a moment and then poof its gone again. I have to restart my computer to get it to go away.

Advice?

#2 SimbaLion

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

I am having the same issue.

#3 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

same here, hope its fixed for the Dec15 Patch,

#4 DragoFire

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorth Island, NZ

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

Same problem here, found you can't kill the bootstrapper in task manager you have yo reboot system.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

#5 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

So ive ran into this problem but only after i tried to run the game files on a different computer. I first downloaded the game and ran it off an external hard drive, played fine. Once I got back home I merged those files with my main gaming pc. Now when i try to run the launcher i get the same issue as those above.

I'll continue to try to find a workaround without downloading all the files again as i've got slow poke internet.

P.s third times the charm

Edit: For clarity when i say "i merged those files with my main pc" i mean that i cut-pasted the :\program files folder and all of its contents from the external hardrive onto my pc's :\program files using the merge option. This pc has never had any MWO files downloaded so I believe nothing important was overwritten.

TL;DR
DL'd the installer pointed it to the location of the files and everything seems to be working, yay! GL everyone.

Edited by Silas7, 31 December 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#6 Axel Sprocket

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

Have you guys tried making a fresh install via Steam? I haven't encountered that startup problem ever since I started to run it on Steam so far. :)

#7 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Interesting, you may want to give Steam a try, it doesn't involve using the MWO launcher/patcher at all!

#8 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

[SPECIAL ALERT : Extreme Technical Stuff below!!! Do NOT attempt, unless you can immediately understand and mentally grip Windows System Underpinnings!!!]

Attention, Everyone... I have directly experienced this behavior before on Windows 7, and through research of this forum, located a solution. Posted Image

You'll need to use RegEdit, and export all of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games" from a user who has the game working. When you export to a text file, it will be helpful to you to give it a name like "MWOTempFolder.reg" (preferably without double quotes), and save the file to a shared area so you can quickly find the file where you saved it. Import it using RegEdit on the user who is unable to run the game. This will fix the problem for those who are simply attempting to launch from a user other than the one who installed the game on the system. Posted Image

If you move the game's folder on your hard disks, you'll also have to head to that same registry key area and update the file/folder paths within there. I don't know why you had to move the game's install, but MWO is just a pain about files/folders like that, huh? Posted Image

In case of those who simply don't have the registry keys at all, or find them to be too much of a problem to try to dig into, there's one last option. For those of you in need of a sample registry text (which you'll need to copy all of what's in the box below, even the invisible extra returns) to copy/modify with WordPad, and import with RegEdit, here you go...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production]
"TEMPFOLDER"="F:\\Games\\Piranha Games\\MechWarrior Online\\MWOUpdate\\"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production\Install]
"DTSC"=dword:00000001
"SMSC"=dword:00000001
"INSTALL_LOCATION"="F:\\Games\\Piranha Games\\MechWarrior Online\\MechWarrior Online\\"

...and hopefully that will enable you to get playing quickly. BTW, you only need to modify the "TEMPFOLDER" (used for patches) and "INSTALL_LOCATION" (indicates where the game is installed) variables in this sample text (but without losing the enclosing double quotes) prior to importing with RegEdit. Make sure they point to the appropriate files/folders in your system, or this will fail to work properly. Also, make sure all of the "\" are done as "\\" in the aforementioned path variables, or RegEdit will mess up the import sequence, but don't double the "\" in the registry key paths themselves. Posted Image

For all above situations, depending on the user who is having to import and/or adjust, you may find that you get one or more prompts. (You know, things like Windows UAC Alerts, and RegEdit's proverbial long-winded version of an "Are you really sure?") Being that you have hopefully come to a complete understanding during this simple walkthrough of the mess of a process involved, you can simply press "Yes" to all of those panicky little annoying prompts, and then launch the game in complete peace. Posted Image

And as always, everyone... HAPPY HUNTING!!! Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Arriving with the real fixes for your issues..." Devnull

[Edited by author due to missed formatting that made the post not properly readable. Later edit also made to remove an unintended ominous wording.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 04 January 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#9 SKOLLEVOLLE CII STAR

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLa Nummelha

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:57 AM

Quesess and Fears:

Propobly Doublecklick it might happen whit one click i belive that have happened before and even to me ... in other softweres. Example: instance already running and fear is that when patch one twice as old as patch three. Fear of jumping over. Belongs to hidden files witch might couse flickering. Maybe I clicked before I realized. I have windows 7 and windows 11. Launcher might not worked when running for windows 7.
Advice: Use latest windows

Edited by Lehushkin, 06 January 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#10 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

Lehushkin, the latest Windows release isn't necessary. I'm bumbling along fine on Windows 7 here. :)

~D. V. "It ain't as bad as you think." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users