8 replies to this topic

#1 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

Dear Fellow Pilots,

Fortunately, my newbie days are now nearing their end. Nevertheless, there is still much to learn. I've recruited two new adult players into MWO. Surprisingly, one of them, a longtime fan of MW3 and 4, is already an above average light mech pilot. The other, unfortunately, is still struggling badly, paying the full humiliating price (and then some) for being a total noob. To maybe ease this pilot's anguish, I donated 3 TDRs (H, C, 5S). Although all my mechs are clan (except for my new Marauders arriving today), I respect TDRs from past battle experience and remember many favorable comments here in the forum. Hope it will help.

Now the three of us wish to form a new team, group or whatever it is called. The net is full of data on team/unit mechanics. Much of it is too complex, and/or outdated, and/or conflicting. I've read much of it and am more confused than ever. Moreover, I have received more than a dozen of what appear to be kind group/unit/team invites. I have accepted none so far as I do not yet fully comprehend what would be expected from me and if such acceptance might affect my ability to form a new group/unit/team or whatever the right designation. As such, I would much appreciate any advice on the modus operandi of achieving the following:

1. I wish to join PUG teams and play together with these other two pilots in Quick Play/CW matches. Possible?
2. What would this “team” of three be properly called (aside from flattery such as “team liability”, “noob battalion” etc.. hehe). A team or group or unit?
3. If this is possible, what is considered improper conduct of such a small group/team/unit? Fair play and honorable conduct in battle is a given and must remain paramount (i.e. no campers, discos, careless weapon “testing” at the expense of teammates etc.).

All pointers would be most welcome. Also, some sarcasm would not offend me at all. After all, with seemingly dumb questions like this, I actually deserve them. :)
Thank you for your time.

#2 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi there!
This might be a little late (you have pointed out you are not a noob anymore) but still, welcome to MWO.
Good choice with the Thuds, it's a solid mech that can teach damage spreading, heat management and much more to a new player (i know because it was my first heavy).

Now, to answer your questions:
You can be part of only one unit at a time, but you can easily leave one at any time.
Units and teams are just synonyms, there is no difference.
A group is a group of people that don't have to be from the same unit and that queue together in the group queue.
You can create a group or add yourself to an existing one from the social tab.
You and your friends can either accept a bigger unit's invite (and leave it afterwards, if you don't like how it turns out) or create your own from the Faction play tab (you can disband an unit after all members have left, if you want) without any difficulty or cost that i am aware of.

If you want to enter an existing unit, there are many different kinds of units: some are very easy-going, others require more dedication, but it's hard to tell before hand. Either try it out or ask the unit's members politely about their rules and general practices.
I'm sure many will invite you from this very topic.

Once you are in an unit, you can still play pug solo, but when you are grouped with other people you can only play either group queue (with other groups of various sizes) or CW (where you will play with and against whatever is on the planet in that moment).
Be aware that group queue has tonnage limitations on what each group can bring along.

Feel free to call your team anything you like. It's your team. I'm bad at names anyway.

On the topic of conduct: as long as you are trying your best, knock yourselves out. Get better, learn, ignore the haters, have fun.

Good luck and good hunting.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 01 December 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#3 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

Many thanks for your detailed response, TheCharlatan. It has lifted much of the fog.

View PostTheCharlatan, on 01 December 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

This might be a little late (you have pointed out you are not a noob anymore) but still, welcome to MWO.

Thanks. As noted, "my newbie days are now nearing their end". Hence, I'm not out of that Crimson Strait tunnel just yet. :)
I suspect that every newbie who has fought in a few hundred battles can sense at some point that he/she is finally at least a little asset to his/her team most of the time. That's a very good feeling - a feeling I hope the badly struggling newbie I recruited will be patient enough to finally experience - and not leave the game beforehand in disgust.

View PostTheCharlatan, on 01 December 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

You can be part of only one unit at a time, but you can easily leave one at any time.

Glad you also pointed that out. Unfortunately, I could not easily leave a unit at any time because I would feel some commitment to that friendly unit invite and at least give that unit my best for a reasonable time (at least a few months). He/she/they had faith in me for some reason. I respect that. As long as he/she/they played fair and honorably, it would not matter how professional or not that unit would be. But that's just me...

Thank you again.

#4 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hey Ostrea, i recommend that you and your friends take some time to watch videos of others playing, most notably players from the competitive scene.
Pay attention, to where they position themselves , how they move, the kind of builds they use ect, i promise if you apply what you see, to your own game, over a short period of time you will notice your own improvement.

Be patient, the more you play, the better you will get.
Good Hunting.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

OP, use the public TS servers. NGNG and such. You will find plenty of open drop rooms or other PUGs looking to drop together. It's really the easiest and fastest way to find others to play with.

The forums are also a good place. Find some of the units recruiting and talk to them and see how you click with their units. They'll often have guest passes for private TS servers so you can come hang out and drop in games with others in the faction/unit.

#6 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Dear Khetti and Sandpit,
Excellent pointers! If only I had posed my questions here sooner. It would have spared me hours of futile net searches.
Sincere thanks to both of you as well.

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ics-101-comics/

All you need, right there.

Maybe I'll see you in the group queue sometime, I occasionally drop with a couple friends I recruited into MWO also. We go under the tag SCBL. I'm the one guy in T3, everyone else is in T4. They aren't that bad and they learn quick, but they are new and got a lot to learn.

#8 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Np sir. I think you'll find most factions and units are pretty welcoming and there's all kinds of different group types. Hardcore competitive, casual, friendly, etc.

#9 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

Dear Dakota1000,
Truly an exquisitely informative thread. Thank you for that link.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users