20 replies to this topic

#1 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

Please seriously consider removing the charge up to the gauss rifle!!! With the increase in cool down/reload to 5.5 seconds there is no reason to have the charge up at all. It is not needed.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

Clan Gauss unquestionably needed a nerf

I'm confused why IS gauss was nerfed just as hard though since it's 3 tons heavier

#3 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 01 December 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Please seriously consider removing the charge up to the gauss rifle!!! With the increase in cool down/reload to 5.5 seconds there is no reason to have the charge up at all. It is not needed.

As an evil meta-humping tryhard, I disagree with your assessment. It's still 100% needed.

#4 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostKhobai, on 01 December 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

I'm confused why IS gauss was nerfed just as hard though since it's 3 tons heavier

Because they are both exactly the same in damage, projectile speed, charge up, effectiveness, and heat efficiency...?

Aside from that...the weights are different, which means exactly **** to IS pilots because you cannot mount one on an IS mech any way.

#5 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

But one is 3 tons heavier so it should be better not the same

This is why pgi fails at balance they can't understand a simple concept like cost vs benefit

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

Nerfing the Clan Goose by a larger margin than the Spheroid version would make sense, but that doesn't mean the IS version was in a perfect state either.

It still made most other IS ballistics obsolete, and I suspect that a lot of this forum would riot if the other ballistics got buffed enough to close the gap (OMGWTFBBQTTK).

Edited by FupDup, 01 December 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#7 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

The Atlas seems slow, not just engine speed, but moving the upper torso. Is this true? I feel these changes hurt the user experience and fun.

Edited by pcunite, 01 December 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#8 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostGyrok, on 01 December 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

Because they are both exactly the same in damage, projectile speed, charge up, effectiveness, and heat efficiency...?

Aside from that...the weights are different, which means exactly **** to IS pilots because you cannot mount one on an IS mech any way.

Come on man. You can take one in the shoulder without dying when it explodes in a Clan mech. Can't do that with an IS mech unless you run a STD engine, which doesn't leave much for much else. Or you go slow.

View PostFupDup, on 01 December 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

Nerfing the Clan Goose by a larger margin than the Spheroid version would make sense, but that doesn't mean the IS version was in a perfect state either.

It still made most other IS ballistics obsolete, and I suspect that a lot of this forum would riot if the other ballistics got buffed enough to close the gap (OMGWTFBBQTTK).

I don't know, 2 AC5s or 2 UAC5s were pretty good substitutes for Gauss. Yeah its good, but XL IS mechs can't really do torso Gauss very well anyway. This is just a slap in face to mechs like the Cataphract, Marauder, Warhammer, Orion, etc.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 December 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Come on man. You can take one in the shoulder without dying when it explodes in a Clan mech. Can't do that with an IS mech unless you run a STD engine, which doesn't leave much for much else. Or you go slow.

I don't know, 2 AC5s or 2 UAC5s were pretty good substitutes for Gauss. Yeah its good, but XL IS mechs can't really do torso Gauss very well anyway. This is just a slap in face to mechs like the Cataphract, Marauder, Warhammer, Orion, etc.

Dual Ultras are however heavier and might require more slots in one location (can't fit them at all sometimes and/or can't XL with them on some mechs).

UAC/5 I can see being alright, but I think the vanilla AC/5's days in the sun have been over for quite a while. I would rather use a single IS Large Laser than an AC/5, sadly. Heck, I can fit 2 LL for the weight of a single AC/5 + ammo...

Edited by FupDup, 01 December 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 December 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Dual Ultras are however heavier and might require more slots in one location (can't fit them at all sometimes and/or can't XL with them on some mechs).

UAC/5 I can see being alright, but I think the vanilla AC/5's days in the sun have been over for quite a while. I would rather use a single IS Large Laser than an AC/5, sadly. Heck, I can fit 2 LL for the weight of a single AC/5 + ammo...

The AC/5 has less crit space aside from weight so it's purpose for me has been to pair with UAC/5s on locations that have 2B but no room for 2 UAC/5.

An example would be side torso + XL engine or the Dragon 5N gunarm. You can put UAC/5 + AC/5 on those locations and I usually run with a 5 UAC : 3 AC ammo ratio. My Shadowhawk 5M runs UAC/5 + AC/5 with 280XL on the RT as well.

#11 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 01 December 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

A little nerf to EZ Mode Guass..................love it! Posted Image

#12 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

View PostKhobai, on 01 December 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

But one is 3 tons heavier so it should be better not the same

This is why pgi fails at balance they can't understand a simple concept like cost vs benefit

That's like saying a vacuum tube is better than the transistor that replaced it.

#13 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostMystere, on 01 December 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

That's like saying a vacuum tube is better than the transistor that replaced it.

It is better. Wayyyyyyy better. No comparison at all. Marshall tube amp $3000. Marshall tranny amp $300.

#14 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

lolololololololol

yes, tubes are 1000 times better than transistors depending on the task they do, transistors are cheap, weigh less, and use less power, and in comparison just get by doing the job a tube excels at.

A transistor is a cheap easy option akin to PGI coding methods, why do something right, when you can do the easy cheap option half arsed.

#15 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Not only that:

IS Gauss is 3 tons heavier and ONE crit slot larger AND doesn't have built in CASE (I've been told Clan gauss comes with CASE too, though to be honest, I don't really know if true).

PLUS, put an IS gauss in on an IS 'mech with an IS XL, and you get insta-go-bye-bye time when someone shoots your shoulder, YAY ****** LAZY HALF-ASSED PGI ATTEMPTS AT BALANCE!!!

View PostPiney, on 01 December 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

A little nerf to EZ Mode Guass..................love it! Posted Image
Uh huh, "ez mode", let's see you do it. VIDS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN...

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Not really since pgi decided to try and make IS and clan balanced 12v12

So they have to be equalized

That means IS weapons that weigh more have to be better than Clan weapons that weigh less

the game can never be properly balanced unless what you pay for is equal to what you get

15 ton gauss should be better than 12 ton gauss or the two arnt balanced

Edited by Khobai, 01 December 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#17 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 01 December 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Not only that:

IS Gauss is 3 tons heavier and ONE crit slot larger AND doesn't have built in CASE (I've been told Clan gauss comes with CASE too, though to be honest, I don't really know if true).

PLUS, put an IS gauss in on an IS 'mech with an IS XL, and you get insta-go-bye-bye time when someone shoots your shoulder, YAY ****** LAZY HALF-ASSED PGI ATTEMPTS AT BALANCE!!!

lol, balance went the way of the lore, killed to suit PGI's own goals to keep the cash machine churning.

#18 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostKhobai, on 01 December 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Not really since IS and clan are balanced 12v12

So they have to be equalized

That means IS weapons that weigh more have to be better than Clan weapons that weigh less
WTF?!?! IS and clan are balanced 12v12?

Or... Did you mean to say that, IS and Clan "NEED TO BE" balanced on 12v12, because PGI says, "programming is hard <pouty lip>" and can't be bothered to make the effort to make CW 10v12 work...

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

I meant pgi dafty decided to try and balance them 12v12 when the whole player base wanted 12v10

Obviously the game is far from balanced and 15 ton gauss being the same as 12 ton gauss is part of the problem

The irony is that they did if because the matchmaker couldn't handle 12v10 but their matchmaker doesn't even work in 12v12 anyway

In 12v10 it would've been okay for clan gauss to weigh 20% less because clans get 20% less players. But in 12v12 it's dumb for a 15 ton and 12 ton weapon to be exactly the same; that's not balanced

Edited by Khobai, 01 December 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#20 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostKhobai, on 01 December 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

I mean pgi dafty decided to try and balance them 12v12 when the whole player base wanted 12v10

Obviously the game is far from balanced and 15 ton gauss being the same as 12 ton gauss is part of the problem
Actually the IS gauss is still worse than the Clan gauss:

IS Gauss vs. Clan Gauss
15 tons vs. 12 tons (results in more tonnage available for other things)
7 slots vs. 6 slots (results in a smaller crit chance)
0.16 DPS/T vs. 0.20 (more 'cost effective' weight wise)
No CASE vs. Built in CASE (Clan exploding gauss damage limited to gauss location)

All in all, the 1.5 second increase (a 37.5% increase in reload time) hurts the IS a hell of a lot more than the Clans because the Clan chassis can typically load MORE of other weapons along with their gauss, so the impact is significantly lessened when compared to the IS that has to dedicate a minimum of 3 more tons and 1 more slot to a single weapon system.

It's a horrible nerf for both IS and Clan, BUT, it hurts the IS disproportionately more than it does the Clans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users