No Mech Should Survive 4 Alpha's In The Back.

41 replies to this topic

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostMad Porthos, on 03 December 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:

But it remains, many many mechs have enjoyed reigns of terror for a long long time. Deniers of this often attribute their own skill entirely for this... e.g. all the best pilots moved to cheetahs, cause why handicap yourself, therefore the reason the mech is seen is as so great is great skill being resented by the ungifted and jealous, nothing else and there fore there is no reason to "handicap" the playing field. Well the thing is, you gotta remember that the Atlas IS supposed to be a holy terror. It ABSOLUTELY is supposed to be formidible enough to make someone go ... "Ah Crp, I don't wanna be here." It has nothing to do with the pilot being Goober Von Pyle, or Max Sterling. So yeah, some mechs do deserve to have some BACK and not fall as a forgone conclusion to your 4 alphas.

Quite. As a rule of thumb: if everyone is pulling down massive damage numbers or kills with [insert Mech/Class/Weapon] in all levels of play, it's not you - it's the tool. Exceptions that prove the rule, prove the rule; and that one time you got killed by those dudes who were good shots doesn't change the demographic.

Edited by Void Angel, 04 December 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#22 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PostTR0UBLE PRYDE, on 02 December 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Buffing weapons and stuff is one thing. But these these structure buffs to IS mechs and not Clan mechs is going to far. No mech should survive 4 alpha's in the back from a Timber Wolf, or any mech for that matter. You want to balance the game, do away with the side torso's killing XL mechs and boom, balancing done, neither side has reason to complain. But your completely ruining great mechs and what should be an awsome game. And your really making people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on this game very mad. It's almost like your trying to ruin the game so the population disappears and you no longer have to support it. I know that's probably not the case, but there's no way I'll be spending more on the game with the way things are going.

I'm not somebody who usually complains or makes a fuss. But right now I'm at the end of my ropes when it comes to this balancing crap. I've been looking forward for months to the next tukiyad event and right before the event you completely screwed the clans? I've thrown 100's of dollars your way in mech paks and you completely ruin my investment to make a few drama queens that will never spend a dime on this game happy. If this isn't fixed before Tukiyad so we have somewhat of a fair chance I guarantee you'll never see another dime from me. Yeah I'll still play, and we'll still win. But that's because I'm in a unit that knows how to play together.

As a decidcated Oxide Pilot with 4 SRM 4's I can assure you NOT one mech has EVER survived 4 alphas to the back and I actually spread damage a little. By the 3rd they are toast. Including the Super Buffed Atlas.

Just not seeing it, And I shoot every mech in the back as much as I can. Never taken 4 Alphas to bring one down.

#23 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostLOADED, on 03 December 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

blackjacks are clan'mechs?! o.O

Streakcrow ... nuff said. No IS medium touches the shear noskill needed power of that. I like and play both sides but two clan mechs you rarely see me in because they are so boringly powerful is the stormcrow and the arctic cheetah, there are a few IS but for those it's because they just suck in the current environment.

No whine. No crying for the nerf bat. Just simple honesty.

<Now I did break out my cheetahs again recently>

Edited by Death Drow, 05 December 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#24 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 04 December 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Quite. As a rule of thumb: if everyone is pulling down massive damage numbers or kills with [insert Mech/Class/Weapon] in all levels of play, it's not you - it's the tool. Exceptions that prove the rule, prove the rule; and that one time you got killed by those dudes who were good shots doesn't change the demographic.

Agreed. Smart play or mech choice isn't the same as skillful play as much as they tend to go hand in hand.

#25 Imglidinhere

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 02 December 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

I've seen a video about the PTS 4 a couple days ago, where an atlas and a Dire go face to face. The Dire does 600 in about 30 friggin seconds, and the f**king Atlas stands. The Atlas does a measly 250 and that's enough to kill the Dire Wolf.
In the same vid a CATAPULT BEATS A TIMBER WOLF one on one without that much of a sweat.
So yeah, Clans have more range, lighter weapons blah blah blah, but if these people's idea of balance is this sh*t they are not gonna see a dime from me ever again.
Sure these coming months they won't give a flying fu*k about us old players, but mark my words, the novelty will fade away and the Steam boys are gonna migrate as fast as they came...

I can core out a dire in my D-DC and do it in under 180 damage. The fact that the dire didn't kill the atlas and did that much damage shows he can't hold weapons on target for crap.

#26 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostImglidinhere, on 29 December 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

I can core out a dire in my D-DC and do it in under 180 damage. The fact that the dire didn't kill the atlas and did that much damage shows he can't hold weapons on target for crap.

inb4 'dnt tell me to git gud IS still OP'

My unit recently took a week in Clan Wolf after a long stint of 28-day Marik contracts. The number of (fairly competent) players on the Wolf side who basically said there was no point playing (so why wait through the queue times?) because the IS held an inherent advantage and didn't even need team coordination to win because of quirks... It made me wonder how many more matches we would have won if everyone had actually tried.

PUG-on-PUG games I played that Wolf lost tended to be around 19-35 against 48 kills, plus one memorable-ish match that ended in five minutes after an assault push on the gun generators. Games that Wolf won tended to be around the same score, but were fewer. This is of course with a 180-ton advantage to the IS team.

Balance is an ongoing process, and I don't think they've found it this patch. But I won't rage about it, I'd rather give my feedback and deal with it until it changes.

#27 T R 0 U B L E

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

I was in no way trying to cry that we're getting stomped now cause the structure quirks are too high. Win or loose for the most part I could care less, I in fact like getting stomped because you never improve without adversity. But if I get stomped I'd like it to be due to them being capable players. I'm still able to pull 700 damage games in a King Crab or Dire in at least half my drops in public. But it's just flat out disgusting the amount of damage these IS mechs cam take.

The incident I was referring too I was in a cored out Timber but I came across a Catafract that was just standing still sniping with his back too me. I walked up within literally 100 meters and gave him a full alpha in the back and he didn't flinch, another alpha he starts to twist and I walk forward, cool shot, another alpha he starts shooting at somebody else... don't know how or why I didn't turn towards me. So another alpha he's still not freaking dead!!! what! finally he turns to me and shoots, bam, i'm dead... I knew I was already a dead man I was cored... but with the way that went down and he kept focusing on **** 600 meters ahead of him, that should have been a kill. And that's far from balanced, that's just dumb as hell. That was not me getting outplayed, that's an idiot that didn't even flinch after an alpha in the back killing me because PGI's logic is on par with common core education.

#28 T R 0 U B L E

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'd also like to add, that all you people talking about getting stomped in CW that no amount of quirks or structure buffs are going to help if the people in your drop are not helping you. For the most part it's impossible to gauge balance because you may think your only fighting one or two mech and get upset about dying instantly. But the reality is you got focused by 8 mechs because your team remained in cover thinking about their personal score instead of the teams success. And I dare say that 90% of all IS teams I play against do exactly that. But the fix for stupid is not giving them ungodly amounts of structure buffs. The fix for that is people realizing that it doesn't really do any good to stay alive if your letting your teammates die alone. because when your teammates are dead they're gonna kill you too. There are very few units that actually understand that as well as very few players.

#29 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

I thought TTK was too short?

At most a Cataphract has 22 extra CT structure... and some people don't front load their armor that much.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 12 January 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#30 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Let IS keep their buffs but remove all negs from clan. Prob solved

#31 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostTR0UBLE PRYDE, on 12 January 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

I was in no way trying to cry that we're getting stomped now cause the structure quirks are too high. Win or loose for the most part I could care less, I in fact like getting stomped because you never improve without adversity. But if I get stomped I'd like it to be due to them being capable players. I'm still able to pull 700 damage games in a King Crab or Dire in at least half my drops in public. But it's just flat out disgusting the amount of damage these IS mechs cam take.

The incident I was referring too I was in a cored out Timber but I came across a Catafract that was just standing still sniping with his back too me. I walked up within literally 100 meters and gave him a full alpha in the back and he didn't flinch, another alpha he starts to twist and I walk forward, cool shot, another alpha he starts shooting at somebody else... don't know how or why I didn't turn towards me. So another alpha he's still not freaking dead!!! what! finally he turns to me and shoots, bam, i'm dead... I knew I was already a dead man I was cored... but with the way that went down and he kept focusing on **** 600 meters ahead of him, that should have been a kill. And that's far from balanced, that's just dumb as hell. That was not me getting outplayed, that's an idiot that didn't even flinch after an alpha in the back killing me because PGI's logic is on par with common core education.

I feel you mate, happens to me few times on every gaming seassion. Do you know how i solved the problem? I`m waiting 3 days for breaking my Wolf permanent contract and then go IS.

#32 Jack Spade Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 432 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostKotev, on 12 January 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

I feel you mate, happens to me few times on every gaming seassion. Do you know how i solved the problem? I`m waiting 3 days for breaking my Wolf permanent contract and then go IS.

Well said Kotev, join RRB, good bunch on the Davion side ;)
As for me, ill return to the clans, once those are un-nerfed

#33 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

View PostSpadejack, on 12 January 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Well said Kotev, join RRB, good bunch on the Davion side Posted Image
As for me, ill return to the clans, once those are un-nerfed

Thx mate, we have same thoughs.

#34 Rocket2Uranus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

Seriously DireWolf are sitting ducks to missle boats, light mechs to even to heavy mechs.

All they are good for are going from point A -> point B and killing things on the way. You can't alter route lol. You can't cross open fields. You can't even park your butt against a wall/hill if you run into light because you are THAT SLOW.

I was smart enough to stop spending money after the initial 40 dollars.

I came back and I enjoy playing the game... kind of? The game is pretty much a game of frustration and hate. And those small satisfying moments of getting a kill where you feel joy for like 10-15 seconds.

But I agree..... they really suck at balancing.

#35 HamAndRye

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostTR0UBLE PRYDE, on 02 December 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Buffing weapons and stuff is one thing. But these these structure buffs to IS mechs and not Clan mechs is going to far. No mech should survive 4 alpha's in the back from a Timber Wolf, or any mech for that matter.

Your going to have to forgive me, but this is extremely dubious. I regularly play light mechs (Arctic Cheetah & Wolfhound) and I have never had any mech survive me giving them 4 alphas rear CT.

What are you packing on your Timberwolf? I usually run with my lights with roughly 24-30 firepower primarily using lasers, and the worst case I have seen is 3 alphas from a trial assault mech with the heavy allocation to rear armor.

Edited by KosherBacon, 18 January 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#36 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

I think no mech should be able to instant kill another mech, and we need a new combat system that makes alpha striking less convenient and diverse weapon systems usable.

#37 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

I own lots of mechs, plenty of IS and plenty of Clan. They both have their challenges and advantages. As someone who has played this game since open beta I have to say, the current balance is the best balance I've seen. Unless I'm drunk (or nostalgic) enough to drop in something like a Locust 1V ***shudder*** then I don't ever feel like my mech is handicapping me.

#38 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

The pilot had obviously not front loaded his armor... Posted Image

#39 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 18 January 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

The pilot had obviously not front loaded his armor... Posted Image

That or the OP didn't actually land all four shots completely on the same hitbox. There are three rear hitboxes and two rather large arms on an Atlas. If he's moving around the (likely) laser spam of your Timberwolf won't all land in the same spot.

Edited by Voivode, 18 January 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#40 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Four days into our CJF contract, I have yet to suffer a single defeat. I'm told that drops containing any OLDs have totalled 2 losses so far. While it may be that Clan tech alone no longer guarantees a win under any CW circumstances, most IS mechs are trash compared to well built Clan mechs. If you are failing while using Clan tech, it is you and not the tech that is the cause.

Edited by Jonathan Paine, 18 January 2016 - 02:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users