16 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

This thread is for very thorough hitbox scrutiny. I don't do very many mechs - these traces take a long time because I go about them very very thoroughly, in much more detail than Tamerlin does. If you want to see the hitboxes for all mechs, do visit Tamerlin's thread, his traces are generally accurate enough for general use and I still recommend them despite their occasional minor errors.

Thar be Sun Spiders! (and then there weren't, because they all died from side torso deaths)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Latest hitboxing on the Assassin. These are about as pixel-perfect accurate as can possibly be done.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Here's some work I did on the Cougar. This mech is like 90% side torso. Notice also how the arm hitboxes are broken:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Bushwackers getting cored through the rear CT by taking a shot from the front... this is why:

Posted Image

Somebody reported broken shenanigans with the Rifleman, so I did that as well:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

Here are the hitboxes for the MARAUDER, and changes that came for the JENNER, CATAPULT, and NOVA on 1st Dec. 2015.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Observations: this thing should be relatively good at protecting its gun side. It's definitely not XL-safe, but we already figured that out. The CT is a narrow strip like the Stalker, but it blooms out toward the nose - aim there if you want quick corings, it's better than chewing through their entire LT and eating the percentage damage reduction. The cockpit is fairly large and trapezoidal. Also, the underbelly (not pictured) of this thing is almost all side torso, just a tiny strip of CT. If you're looking at the overhead view, you'll notice there is CT where the dorso gun would go - when a ballistic is equipped here it occupies that space and becomes side torso.

Well done to PGI on the hitboxes for this, they clearly put quite a bit of time and thought into them. Some questionable moves here and there, but seems calculated.

Posted Image

A noticeable improvement. I have a feeling this will fare well, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. I have actually seen a Jenner die to CT once today, so it seems to be an improvement.

Posted Image

Almost entirely untouched. If you look closely you can tell the difference - the CT is a tiny bit larger, but I don't think it's anywhere enough to make this chassis XL-viable, which is something that it gravely desires to be viable. Hitbox wishlist.

Posted Image

Not much has changed. The ST has been extended further along the nose, but has receded from the canopy. It's still very Stalker-y and it's sides will probably be still be super squishy when people aim for them. Not enough of a difference in my opinion, but (aside from the ST added to the nose) an improvement going in the right direction.

Lastly, kudos to PGI for actually iterating on hitboxes. I'm really glad to see them responding to feedback and experimenting with small incremental changes. I only wish they were do things like this more often.

The following are the hitbox updates from 17 Nov. 2015

Posted Image

^ Locust: added ST to the lower half of the mech

Posted Image

^ Commando: gave it bigger arms and more ST. Shrunk cockpit.

Posted Image

^ Raven: shrunk the cockpit, minor tweaks to STs. Arm and leg hitboxes STILL larger than visual model. (PGI plz fix!)

Posted Image

^ Dragon: gave it Stalker-syndrome. Which is a bad thing for this 60-ton mech that needs to run XL.

On the topic of Arctic Cheetahs...

The Arctic Cheetah is a bit maligned as having broken hitboxes. It tanks so much damage that it can only be full of deadzones and magic pixie dust. Well, I've put the hitboxes to scrutiny. Very heavy scrutiny. I've attempted to map every pixel on the following images as accurately as I possibly could and I've spent many hours doing this. Hopefully this will lay to rest the claims of "broken hitboxes" for this mech and point out the few minor flaws it does possess so that hopefully PGI can address them.

First, the discrepancies between the visual model and the physical hitboxes. By tracing the outline of a mech with your range finder you can determine exactly where the mech's hitbox begins and ends. The following image shows these discrepancies: red is for dead zones (parts of the mech you can shoot right through) and yellow is for "invisible" hitboxes that you can hit but doesn't appear to the naked eye.

Posted Image

What we can see here is that the hitboxes are VERY tight and for the most part very well done. The cupola on the top of the mech's head is not meshed for hits, but that's to be expected. Where the arm joins the shoulder there is a bit of "invisible arm" syndrome, but it's not a big deal. The bottom of the front pelvic plate protrudes downward a little as well. But the most noticeable error is the chunk of lower leg on either side that isn't included in the hitbox, making the legs smaller than they actually appear. Also, the ankles and toes aren't included.

I won't bother providing a graphic for the side view - it's actually a lot more accurate. The only discrepancies I could find from the side where that the leg hitbox protudes noticeably at the shins making the leg larger than it appears, offering the opposite effect from what the frontal view gets and effectively cancelling both out in the grand scheme of things.

Posted Image

From the front this is very typical and I've found nothing noteworthy. I won't bother providing a side view - for the most part side panels of the mech all count towards the adjacent front hitbox, pretty standard stuff and I haven't discovered any issues.

Posted Image

From the rear it's slightly more interesting, but nothing surprising. The laser mounts on top of the side torsos count as front torso from all angles. The frontal pelvic plate can be hit from behind, but it's rather inconsequential. At the narrow-most point in the pelvis/hipjoint it is possible to reach through and touch the front side torsos, but it's somewhat difficult to do and actually impossible from most angles. This is actually typical of most mechs, so again - not surprising.

Many Cheetahs were harmed in the making of these graphics.

Like I said, I tried to be as exacting as possible in mapping these hitboxes. Hopefully this helps anybody who might have some questions about them or is curious to see what they look like. Lastly, here's an slow-mo of a prominent streamer that missed an ACH and blamed the hitboxes being broken instead of accepting that he simply could have missed because it's a tiny mech with slender limbs:

<gif removed because photobucket nazism>

Edited by Tarogato, 20 March 2018 - 11:42 PM.

#2 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for your time dude, I was actually intrigued to see the changes to the Nova.

#3 RealZeratul

Rookie

• Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

Thank you very much! I was looking forward to see the updated updated Catapult hitboxes; I refuse to switch to a STD engine, but it is still really hard to protect those sides. I hope PGI will shrink them once more in the next patch. I liked the original large CT, it wasn't that hard to roll damage... :-/

#4 FuzzyLog1c

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for spending the extra time on the Arctic Cheetah. What you said basically confirms what we already know, which is that the "problems" with the Arctic Cheetah are not the hitboxes; they're a combination of the players misrepresenting their own accuracy and legitimate netcode problems.

#5 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

Great job!

The legs on Marauder's seem to be their weakness. Those hitboxes are huge! I saw more legged Marauders than lights tonight!

#6 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

I am very impressed with the amount or work that has been done here. Kudos for the information and hope to see more of this in the future. As an aside, how tight is the average hitbox (excluding certain well known ones like the Raven's legs, etc) to the visual model compared to the Artic Cheetah that you have demonstrated to have very tight hitboxes?

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

View Postshellashock, on 04 December 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

As an aside, how tight is the average hitbox (excluding certain well known ones like the Raven's legs, etc) to the visual model compared to the Artic Cheetah that you have demonstrated to have very tight hitboxes?

I could do that if I had sufficient time. As I do not own the MAD, I have to spend time with other people in private lobbies to check hitboxes and I'm limited to F2P premium time. If there was enough interest for me to do a bounding/outline check like this for the MAD I would do it, but I don't suspect it's a big deal here like it is with "broken" lights.

#8 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostTarogato, on 04 December 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

I could do that if I had sufficient time. As I do not own the MAD, I have to spend time with other people in private lobbies to check hitboxes and I'm limited to F2P premium time. If there was enough interest for me to do a bounding/outline check like this for the MAD I would do it, but I don't suspect it's a big deal here like it is with "broken" lights.

Oh, ok. I was under the incorrect impression that you had collected data on all hitboxes of all mechs (kinda weird assumption now that I think about it) and I wanted to know if all mechs tended to have that tight of a hitbox compared to their physical model like the Arctic Cheetah does. I hope that you continue to do this kind of thing whenever PGI announces hitbox changes because they (usually) don't say what they have changed. Information is ammunition yadda yadda yadda...

Anyway, I hope you will continue doing this in the future and I might be able to donate some time in the future to helping you document hitboxes for mechs. Have a good one!

#9 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 02 December 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

Great job!

The legs on Marauder's seem to be their weakness. Those hitboxes are huge! I saw more legged Marauders than lights tonight!

Yeah, allot of people have been choosing to max out armor everywhere but the legs which never seem to be a good idea to me. XL works but it's a calculated risk considering it's just as easy to core or head cap a Mad if you don't torso twist and spread the damage along the side torso.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:10 AM

well NVA and drgaon have the common issue that their ST and CT area is so large no matter to where PGI shifts hitboxes they will never be able to spread them well. They are cases where some structure buffs are inevitable.

#11 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:27 AM

I think you should work together with Tamerlino...

http://mwomercs.com/...ox-localization

because doublechecking work once is easier than doing it twice. But anyqay, thanks for the work

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

Riflemunz:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Observations: in general, really tight and logical hitboxes. Cockpit is larger than I expected. Antennae up top has super tight/accurate hitboxing - all counts as front CT except for the exactly rear-facing panels. The arms are a little blocky though - the mismatching between my drawn hitbox (yellow) and the actual arm of the model is intentional and reflects what I found. As usual, I haven't scrutinised the leg hitboxes below the waist. Rear side torsos, protruding as they are, are rather vulnerable. You could probably run zero rear CT armour on this mech and be fine. \o/

Edited by Tarogato, 17 June 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

As always, an amazing and helpful contribution for the whole community Tarogato. Thanks. This, and your previous work, is much appreciated.

#14 MrVei

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

any plans to update this info since the re-scale patch? as a big fan of the MAD line i can say thei hit boxes have changed

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Added some new mechs:

- Assassin
- Cougar
- Bushwacker

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:44 PM

Sun Spider added to OP above.

For reference, here is a a picture of a Sun Spider without the hitbox overlay added:

Posted Image

#17 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:20 AM

This is like the best tactical information you can gather b4 landing:

Edited by Burning2nd, 21 March 2018 - 02:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users