215 replies to this topic

#161 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostMawai, on 04 December 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

See ... BJ-1X nerfed in less than a week ...

BJ-1X
Energy Range Quirk has been decreased to +10%.
Laser Duration Quirk has been removed.
Energy Heat Gen Quirk has been decreased to -10%.

Along with some mobility buffs to clan lights and the Summoner, Gargoyle and Executioner.

http://mwomercs.com/...00am-pst-630-pm

It was clearly in violation with Lore. Posted Image

#162 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 December 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Guess I am sick and tired of Clanners whining about IS finally getting a Medium worthy enough to face the Doomcrow, and got immediately nerfed due to said whines. IS should stay inferior cause of lore, amirite? Especially considering the fact the Clan mechs have been dominating the meta for so long, it was becoming stale.

I get sick of explaining IS players that that clanners actually have more than 1 medium mech, not only the doomcrow. And that everoyne happy about having 1 mech on IS side "dealing" with the doomcrow is good. because its NOT. That is just another mech OP which would be ok if both sides had only 1! medium mech. But Iguess we have a few more.

Those quirks create arfitcial ER lasers on IS side, anyone ever think abou what is going to happen when IS gets their ER lasers? rebalancing ALL AGAIN? the lack of consistency in the weaponsystems and their balance is what makes PGI create local bandaidfixes by ripping another wound somewhere else. Why does PGI nto finally jsut nerf SCR, TBR and DWF isntead of the entire clantech so that the already dead IFR gets beaten even more and more. And those dusty spiders and locsusts. The care is so low there PGI probably forgot their existence, becasue none of the patches actually truly helped them.

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 December 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#163 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Kurita
  • Hero of Kurita
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

IS mech outperforms, gets nerfed.

Artic Cheater still broken.

#164 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 04 December 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

I get sick of explaining IS players that that clanners actually have more than 1 medium mech, not only the doomcrow. And that everoyne happy about having 1 mech on IS side "dealing" with the doomcrow is good. because its NOT. That is just another mech OP which would be ok if both sides had only 1! medium mech. But Iguess we have a few more.

Those quirks create arfitcial ER lasers on IS side, anyone ever think abou what is going to happen when IS gets their ER lasers? rebalancing ALL AGAIN? the lack of consistency in the weaponsystems and their balance is what makes PGI create local bandaidfixes by ripping another wound somewhere else. Why does PGI nto finally jsut nerf SCR, TBR and DWF isntead of the entire clantech so that the already dead IFR gets beaten even more and more. And those dusty spiders and locsusts. The care is so low there PGI probably forgot their existence, becasue none of the patches actually truly helped them.

Cause:
Posted Image

#165 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 03 December 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Note, when I talk about the term, "broken," I'm talking about tonnage vs. effectiveness. As in earlier example, the FS9 was broken, especially when the FS9-A was at its all time high with its massive SPL quirks before they got throttled back a bit. Then the ACH became the most broken mech in the game.

After this most recent patch however, the award for most broken mech in this game goes to the BJ-1X.

In this brutal 45t package, we have:
- Doubled internal structure.
- Very good high mounts.
- Slim front and side profile.
- Incredibly maneuverable with MASSIVE acceleration and deceleration quirks.
- Very good laser quirks, including shorter duration.

There is no mech at 45t that comes close to the amount of firepower, maneuverability, survivability (post-patch), hardpoints, and scaling.

It has two weaknesses when compared to the 10t heavier SCR:
- The SCR is better at long-extreme ranges.
- The SCR can run streaks.

Against both Clan and IS laser boats at medium-short engagement ranges however, this mech can out-trade practically everything. Even losing all your armor and having open torso structure doesn't necessitate a switch up in tactics or play style. You can literally keep fighting with near impunity until one of your torsos is cherry red.

Some of the best competitive players have been running the 1X for quite some time now. Even prior to this most recent patch, this mech was the more underground, "secret," meta mech that everybody knew deep down, was way too good for its own good, but nobody would ever admit it, because it's both a medium mech, and an IS one at that.

Now, for those IS purists who will never admit that an IS mech would ever be OP, I'd like you to explain why:

1. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why do I see so many competitive players running this mech so often?
2. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why were there SIX of them on my team last night?
3. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why is my non-elited BJ-1X giving me better games, higher damage, more kills, and longer survivability, than my fully mastered SCRs?

And don't try and throw the whole, "Clan XL" thing in here. The doubled internal structure, accel/decel quirks, and slim profile all make the IS XL disadvantage a completely moot point. Any good player in a 1X that knows how to trade and spread damage well can easily make the 1X survive the entire game.

Hell, even if you make a MASSIVE tactical error, such as last night when I was the last mech on my team and I accidentally poked too far out, facing 3 Marauders with all guns trained on me with all 3 of my torsos down to internals, you can survive. I just simply turned around, rapidly twisting my torso in the process, and got back behind cover. I was hit by 2 of the 3 Marauders during this. My torso internals, which were yellow and orange before, were now dark orange and red, but I survived, and was able to kill 1 of the 3 remaining mechs before finally going down.

This wasn't against bad players either. Last night was full of games with 228, EmP, Tool, -42-, and other groups comprised of very competent players. This mech is just over the top ridiculous.

Today its this mech tomorrow an other, you said it yourself, first the FS9, then the ACH and before those two basicaly every clanmech to a different degree. Now its an IS Mechs turn again to be OP.
So the question is: "Are you just an other butthurt Claner mewling cause your Timberkitty does not get enough love and goodys ?"
When IIC Mechs come out we all will see how REAL OP looks like.

#166 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:06 AM

View Postpwnface, on 03 December 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

The TDR-5SS was THE best IS mech ton for ton. A STK-4N outperforms it at 20 tons more, but the TDR-5SS was the best IS mech under 80tons regardless of tonnage. So yes, tonnage limits made them more popular because people couldn't run a 48 STK-4N CW drop deck.

What I realized over the Years in MWO : It all comes down to Taste. Some People do well in the so-called Meta Mechs, others not. Thunderbolts are awful Mechs in my Opinion. Other Mechs which are considered bad I did great in. Example : The Awesome. And I know that many other Players feel the same Way about "Meta" Mechs and what they prefer personally.

Also the pure Stats don't tell the full Story. In Practice it is often a different Story.

#167 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostMechregSurn, on 04 December 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

IS mech outperforms, gets nerfed.

Artic Cheater still broken.

Yeah. No.

30 tonner legs with no quirks for armour or structure. It WAS OP with +15 IS per leg, now its .. not. Unless you dont shoot the legs, but thats on you.

I don't play fast lights, i have zero reason to defend the cheetah, fyi.

#168 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

The BJ 1X was good before, so yeah didn't need a lot of the new buff's, structure would have been fine.

But honestly the most "Broken Mech in the Game" award would have to go to the Dragon, or maybe the Ice Ferret. All Mech's should be viable, and I would rather they be too good, and then be taken down a notch, than so bad they never get played.

#169 WatDo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killin' your d00ds

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Really? We're gonna call an XL engine, 400m effective range medium op now?

Pssssst guys, even with those (i agree, unneeded and ridiculous) structure quirks... it has roughly 40 structure in its torsos. It only has like, 20 to begin with. That's not even anywhere near an assault. That's still within clan alpha range. Aim for the torsos (as you should have been doing anyway) and it'll still explode, why, would you believe I've been murdering them lately without even realising they got buffed?

I'll agree it needed some toning down, namely in the structure area, but to call it the most op in the game is crazy.

*Edit for the lulzy truth* Why not, instead of nerfing the poor blackjack, every mech just gets good structure quirks? Then everyone's happy right? >.>

Edited by WatDo, 04 December 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#170 izzycat218

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostClint Steel, on 04 December 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

The BJ 1X was good before, so yeah didn't need a lot of the new buff's, structure would have been fine.

But honestly the most "Broken Mech in the Game" award would have to go to the Dragon, or maybe the Ice Ferret. All Mech's should be viable, and I would rather they be too good, and then be taken down a notch, than so bad they never get played.

Don't forget Highlander, trebuchet, and kintaro.

#171 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Heh, it's funny that the BJ-1x is suddenly getting this attention. IMO it's always been a great mech, even pre-quirk, with a great combination of mobility, firepower, and ridiculous survivability (high mounts + agility = poke champion). Personally, I don't like the range limitation of an all ML loadout, so I run with 2 ERLL and 4 ML (with XL255 and 17 DHS). For CW I sometimes run 3 ERLL. Even with the structure nerfs, the BJ-1x will continue to be a top IS mech-- it's just hard to beat high energy mounts with 45-tonner speed/agility. Any energy quirks are just gravy on top of an inherently good chassis.

(I so wish they put JJ on the 1x, but that would put it on Arctic Cheetah level of OP)

#172 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 04 December 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Today its this mech tomorrow an other, you said it yourself, first the FS9, then the ACH and before those two basicaly every clanmech to a different degree. Now its an IS Mechs turn again to be OP.
So the question is: "Are you just an other butthurt Claner mewling cause your Timberkitty does not get enough love and goodys ?"
When IIC Mechs come out we all will see how REAL OP looks like.

Maybe it's more that I'm a long-term founder, and I have a great selection of both IS and Clan mechs, and I was sick of the majority of the mechs on both sides being outperformed by the BJ-1X on a regular basis? Ever think about that? And yes, the IIC mechs will very likely be incredibly OP, because PGI has done nothing to this day to fix the broken foundation for the mechanics of this game, including heat scale and convergence.

#173 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

The BJ can torso twist to spread damage away from the side torso. Some other mechs like the stalker though, cant.

#174 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 04 December 2015 - 01:30 AM, said:

What are you trying to prove? I played it at that level all the time during that era, does anything else matter so long as we're not talking about comp? I even did just fine with the BJ-1DC and the Arrow, and with completely vanilla Locusts. Stellar, even, to the point where I stopped taking screenshots because doing so was no longer an event.

When did you suddenly become the "if it's not the absolute best it is trash" type of player? Are you going to sell all of your Battlemasters, now, since they are also sub-par? Where's Bandito and what did you do with him? While you, Fup, McGral, Deathlike, all seem to be of like mind on everything, collectively you are not always correct. Often, the three of you are hyperbolic and only think within tightly confined boxes, and it's frankly sort of ridiculous to watch the circle-jerk of post-liking even when what one of you is saying doesn't actually add-up, i.e. Deathlike hitting the button on FupDup's attempted counters in the Jenner Hitbox thread, none of which were holistic and all of which had obvious solutions. Ditto the Catapult, which even PGI also decided they had to alter in two ways to achieve what could have been done in one because the previous alteration did exactly what I said it would do for exactly the reasons I said it would. Not even McGral's own balance thread is actually right, because it's based entirely on eyeballed values with no system in place to actively measure and check the power level on any particular game item. He just happened to guess close enough to the ball-park that I decided it's not worth the effort to contend, especially because PGI has no desire to actually put effort into figuring out the balance before running ahead with changes anyway.

So, to get back to the topic, I don't require proof because that's my experience. If you couldn't regularly perform with the Blackjacks back then, that's entirely on you, but I did. The BJ-1X will not be as good as it was pre-patch, but it's still a far-cry from being terrible with the new nerfs.

I missed the point where I unilaterally agree with the people I normally agree with.

It "looks" on the surface that I "like" things that normally, but I do disagree with points from them too. It's not just to "randomly disagree", but if you want a productive discussion on how things should/could change.. it's good to see there are holes, flaws, or at least different ways of approaching the problem. For some of us, I think we'd like to see some things at least ATTEMPTED, so that we can evaluate and reevaluate our positions. Heck, I've admitted bad ideas before and I'll probably continue to have some too... but we're being relatively civil about it w/o just stomping over the idea.

There is always more than one way to skin a (grumpy) cat.

I don't remember my response/retort to Fup about Jenners though (I've written enough to forget sometimes). I assume it has something to do with Clan XL and the future IIC Jenners...?

Edited by Deathlike, 04 December 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#175 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

But it was on the PTS. The uber intelligent and pro arm chair developers would never have allowed such a thing to slip through! Clearly it's all PGI though.

#176 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 04 December 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

But it was on the PTS. The uber intelligent and pro arm chair developers would never have allowed such a thing to slip through! Clearly it's all PGI though.

There was actual feedback about the BJ... specifically about the BJ-1X.

Unfortunately there were 2 threads.

The problem is that there's no reward, and there was feedback to actually "roll back" some of the buffs it was getting.

If there was a reward for a "productively useful report" about the quirks, we would get better feedback.

However, the thing is... for the feedback given, was totally ignored by our balance overlord.

So, you can't even blame it on those who bothered to post feedback.

#177 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

IDK about OP but I have loved the BJ-1X since day 1. In the right hands it can be a monster. Better than an SCR though... dubious.

#178 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 December 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

I missed the point where I unilaterally agree with the people I normally agree with.

It "looks" on the surface that I "like" things that normally, but I do disagree with points from them too. It's not just to "randomly disagree", but if you want a productive discussion on how things should/could change.. it's good to see there are holes, flaws, or at least different ways of approaching the problem. For some of us, I think we'd like to see some things at least ATTEMPTED, so that we can evaluate and reevaluate our positions. Heck, I've admitted bad ideas before and I'll probably continue to have some too... but we're being relatively civil about it w/o just stomping over the idea.

There is always more than one way to skin a (grumpy) cat.

I don't remember my response/retort to Fup about Jenners though (I've written enough to forget sometimes). I assume it has something to do with Clan XL and the future IIC Jenners...?

I dunno, it's probably just me, but I feel the that "Like This" button should not be used without comment unless one really agrees with the entirety of that post or the action can be taken as complete support for everything in the "liked" post by outside viewers or the owner of the supported post. If you don't agree with the whole post, it gives unjustly earned popular support for a view in the face of its pointed deficiencies. If I were to like something without pointing out its flaws if it has them, it would feel irresponsible.

You didn't write responses in the relevant conversation in that thread, IIRC, just kept hitting the "like" button on most of his responses. Fup is a good resource when you want to work within the current rules of MWO, but from my conversations he's not very flexible at bending those rules and he doesn't seem open to changing changing the CONOPS of MWO. It's like talking to a brick wall, sometimes. A polite one, but a brick-wall nonetheless. The good nature, though, is what I like about you. You are civil. Fup is civil. Andi is civil. McGral is mostly civil, but has tendencies for breaking down under pressure from people who are incapable or unwilling to put the effort into understand the concepts behind the game mechanics but insist on being part of the balance discussion. Bandito, too, is breaking down here and that's what triggered my response; because I've never seen him do that. Among us, it has always been civil but now he's being hostile or, at the very least, passive aggressive for no good reason....and it's not just this thread, it's in the Catalyst Locust thread, too. Bad day at work or something?

The three of you do also frequently speak in terms of hyperbole. Out of jaded frustration or knee-jerk passion doesn't matter. Yes, a lot of equipment in the game is sub-standard but, with the way you guys talk sometimes you'd think that it was nigh impossible to do well with it. While the equipment in question might be a far-cry from comp-worthy, it's also a far-cry from taking a veritable wizard to do well with it in pub games. I don't even qualify as an uber-leet player, nor do players like Bishop or Sarlic, and we can make and have been making sub-standard equipment work well enough that you would think we were running meta-builds. Balance in the game is awful and when talking about it you should always under the pretense of comp/computer precision because then balance there will trickle down to lower skill levels, but let's not also delude ourselves into thinking that the necessity for a weapon to be balanced at that level applies with the same weight down-low. If it did, then concepts like skill floor, skill ceiling, and derived risk-reward wouldn't exist in the first place.

#179 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 03 December 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Note, when I talk about the term, "broken," I'm talking about tonnage vs. effectiveness. As in earlier example, the FS9 was broken, especially when the FS9-A was at its all time high with its massive SPL quirks before they got throttled back a bit. Then the ACH became the most broken mech in the game.

After this most recent patch however, the award for most broken mech in this game goes to the BJ-1X.

In this brutal 45t package, we have:
- Doubled internal structure.
- Very good high mounts.
- Slim front and side profile.
- Incredibly maneuverable with MASSIVE acceleration and deceleration quirks.
- Very good laser quirks, including shorter duration.

There is no mech at 45t that comes close to the amount of firepower, maneuverability, survivability (post-patch), hardpoints, and scaling.

It has two weaknesses when compared to the 10t heavier SCR:
- The SCR is better at long-extreme ranges.
- The SCR can run streaks.

Against both Clan and IS laser boats at medium-short engagement ranges however, this mech can out-trade practically everything. Even losing all your armor and having open torso structure doesn't necessitate a switch up in tactics or play style. You can literally keep fighting with near impunity until one of your torsos is cherry red.

Some of the best competitive players have been running the 1X for quite some time now. Even prior to this most recent patch, this mech was the more underground, "secret," meta mech that everybody knew deep down, was way too good for its own good, but nobody would ever admit it, because it's both a medium mech, and an IS one at that.

Now, for those IS purists who will never admit that an IS mech would ever be OP, I'd like you to explain why:

1. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why do I see so many competitive players running this mech so often?
2. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why were there SIX of them on my team last night?
3. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why is my non-elited BJ-1X giving me better games, higher damage, more kills, and longer survivability, than my fully mastered SCRs?

And don't try and throw the whole, "Clan XL" thing in here. The doubled internal structure, accel/decel quirks, and slim profile all make the IS XL disadvantage a completely moot point. Any good player in a 1X that knows how to trade and spread damage well can easily make the 1X survive the entire game.

Hell, even if you make a MASSIVE tactical error, such as last night when I was the last mech on my team and I accidentally poked too far out, facing 3 Marauders with all guns trained on me with all 3 of my torsos down to internals, you can survive. I just simply turned around, rapidly twisting my torso in the process, and got back behind cover. I was hit by 2 of the 3 Marauders during this. My torso internals, which were yellow and orange before, were now dark orange and red, but I survived, and was able to kill 1 of the 3 remaining mechs before finally going down.

This wasn't against bad players either. Last night was full of games with 228, EmP, Tool, -42-, and other groups comprised of very competent players. This mech is just over the top ridiculous.

lol I remember people giving me so much crap for running a bj1x a while back, then WTF IS ON THAT BLACKJACK

hands down easiest mech to run with a joystick :P

View PostKubernetes, on 04 December 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Heh, it's funny that the BJ-1x is suddenly getting this attention. IMO it's always been a great mech, even pre-quirk, with a great combination of mobility, firepower, and ridiculous survivability (high mounts + agility = poke champion). Personally, I don't like the range limitation of an all ML loadout, so I run with 2 ERLL and 4 ML (with XL255 and 17 DHS). For CW I sometimes run 3 ERLL. Even with the structure nerfs, the BJ-1x will continue to be a top IS mech-- it's just hard to beat high energy mounts with 45-tonner speed/agility. Any energy quirks are just gravy on top of an inherently good chassis.

(I so wish they put JJ on the 1x, but that would put it on Arctic Cheetah level of OP)

eh, since the day ghost heat came in I've been running 2mpl and 6ml, it's always been a beast. When the quirks came, the tears really started. I started running it again with much gusto when the scr got the duration nerf. It was a good replacement for my favorite SCR build.

#180 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

Man, the "nerf gauss rifles into oblivion" thread has spoiled me. I was looking for the epic battle of personalities that erupted there to exist here (this thread is 9 pages after all) and all I got was 1) this stupid shirt and 2) just a bunch of white noise bickering.

Boo! Where are the strong personalities with ridiculously strong opinions about minor facets of video games?

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users