Forum Has Overly Strict And Assinine Word Block List.

23 replies to this topic

#21 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 18 December 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Because the topics vary widely on this forum AND there is an RP set on this place that people have set up.

It's mighty silly to block words because they may have an offensive double meaning or block swears because.... why? Think of the children? .. the ones who are using worse words in middle school?

1) Parents are funny
2) Parents have money
3) Some parents don't want their kids to encounter swear words.

I do know some units have a no swearing policy. Sometimes it is in deference to people who may have kids listening. Sometimes it is due to religious preferences. Sometimes it is just because that's what those people prefer. Personally I've always thought the emphasis on swearing and sex is not only stupid but actually evil because it serves to hide the true obscenities in life. But I do try to respect people who haven't awakened to that because we're playing a game about stompy robots in a fictional world and political, philosophical, and sociological discussions are tangential. Do we want to have fun or do we want to argue? People should feel free to operate in an environment where they are comfortable in enjoying a pasttime and not having to worry about stuff like that. It's hard to protect kidlets and you do want to keep them on track as much as you can.

Plenty of people don't care about swearing and there are to that extent safe spaces for f-bomb throwers as much as there are for the opposite. PGI is just trying to keep the bits where everyone has to mix together as clean and nonthreatening as they can make it.

#22 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostAnachronda, on 19 December 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Reasons

And no filter on in game chat what so ever.. .. hmmmm.. seems a bit... counter productive and stupid.

#23 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 17 December 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but I thought I'd point out that with the exception of specific racial slurs, NOBODY in Australia, South Africa, France, Germany, China, Japan, Brazil, or Russia are going to give a flying **** about swear words. US, UK, and Canada? yeah maybe, America especially it's part of our culture, but a lot of other countries think it's funny that we censor swear words.

Naaa... what we find realy, realy hillarious in Germany is how you ban boobs from newspapers and get totally worked up about stupid litle girls flashing in school, gay marriage and sex before marriage, but totaly beeing ok with violent films at prime time, ppl carrying guns and other murder tools while your children get killed in school amok incidents.

#24 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:24 AM

The forums have managed to become toxic enough with text filtering. This forum without text filtering? Well, it certainly wouldn't look like it was corporate-run, suffice to say.

I would predict that not only would suicide not only be a suggestion for other members of the forum, but it would be macro'd on peoples' keyboards. Further, I'm sure that ethnic and minority slurs as well as scathing accusations regarding someones' sexual preferences would be painfully commonplace.

Edited by ice trey, 01 January 2016 - 07:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users