The Black Night

9 replies to this topic

#1 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:53 AM

It has been in the game some time now, on paper it looks prety good, good quirks, loads of hard points, for those of u who own one, how good is it realy?
Is it competitive? is it a good CW mech? whats the best variant? what build do you use? and can anyone give me a guestimate when it will be available for Cbills?

tnx

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

Its decent laser vomit.

I personally didn't like the performance I got out of it I wanted, but I know there are some people who dig it.

The big problem is it has low hard points (far from the player's POV) which causes a lot of accidental terrain blocked shots. It also doesn't have jump jets and when I played it, it was CT soft.

Now the mech has seen a hitbox correction since I played it last and quirks might be more favorable since last pass so that might help.

Overall it looks really cool, but I can't help but think the Grasshopper has it a bit trumped with the JJs and somewhat better hard point locations.

I don't hate the Black Knight and I think it is competent, but if you are looking for IS laser vomit in a humanoid mech form, you may want to go Grasshopper if you don't have one.

Damn the Black Knight is cool looking though.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

In pug matches at least, the 7-L and the 6 are better performers than the other two variants. Haven't faced them in CW, cause IS vs IS matches are virtually non-existent.

Edited by El Bandito, 09 December 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

My BL-6 has 2AMS, 8MPL and STD300
My BL-6B has 4LL, 3ML and STD300
My BL-7 has 2 PPC, 7ML and XL350.

They're all savage. The quirks are great, especially 30% PPC velocity bonus for the BL-7. I love them.

Sadly, I still think MPL boating is the best thing to do. I wish the game rewarded a combination of PPCs and different lasers, like the Black Knight is supposed to have. But 8 or 9 MPLs to the face is simply too good compared to the alternatives.

You can buy them for C-bills January 19th
http://mwomercs.com/...sistance-2-faq/

#5 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

As a primarily Clan CW player of late I can say that they instill respect but not fear. They tend to be laser vomit and if they can get in close it feels a lot like fighting a Grasshopper or 5SS/Top Dog. Definitely good, definitely CW worthy but not quite as intimidating as the aforementioned 'Bolts or a 4N/3S.

#6 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

I don't own one, but my opinions are in line with the above. They are tall laser boats with very meh hardpoint locations. I think of them as fairly easy mechs to best using chassis with a real advantage like high hardpoints.

Overall, extremely hard to distinguish from the cluster of other laser vomit IS MPL humanoid chassis. In 6 more months they will be much less attractive when the new wears off and their lack of advantages is more apparent.

#7 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 December 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Its decent laser vomit.

I personally didn't like the performance I got out of it I wanted, but I know there are some people who dig it.

The big problem is it has low hard points (far from the player's POV) which causes a lot of accidental terrain blocked shots. It also doesn't have jump jets and when I played it, it was CT soft.

Now the mech has seen a hitbox correction since I played it last and quirks might be more favorable since last pass so that might help.

Overall it looks really cool, but I can't help but think the Grasshopper has it a bit trumped with the JJs and somewhat better hard point locations.

I don't hate the Black Knight and I think it is competent, but if you are looking for IS laser vomit in a humanoid mech form, you may want to go Grasshopper if you don't have one.

Damn the Black Knight is cool looking though.

i've got the grashopers (bouth them a few days ago), but the black nights have better quirks (mainly more structure) and can pack a few more DHS, dont know if thats a good trade off fore the low hard points do... tnx for info

#8 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

I love em, but the problem is at 75 tons you are hard pressed to justify them in many CW drops. T-Bolts are a better MPL boat and Hoppers give similar face melting performance with higher hard points (at 5 and 10 tons less respectively). Nevertheless, I have specialized some of them for specific CW roles and try to use them when I can. After the latest changes they tank pretty well and as mentioned above can dish the damage.

I run the 6b with 4 ERLL with 4SLs (for hard point padding to get the ERLL up as high as possible) and an XL350. I also have CC and a beagle on this due to extra tonnage. I like this build as it keeps with the lore of the mech as a command vehicle. Plus the CC combined with advance zoom and 15% range quirk let you pick apart your enemies from way far away. Use on 2nd-4th wave on boreal attack or any defensive boreal wave; or 3rd-4th wave on emerald tiaga defense (snipe).

The 7 I run with 2ppc and 7spl; std 300, beagle and AMS. Can be run on any map (maybe vitric would be a bad idea, but I have used it on defense in sulfurous) if you have the discipline to use only the ppcs at range and then stick to the pulses when brawling.

The ® version I run as a 8ML boat with a std 350 and a beagle and 2 AMS. Great for murder balling and supporting the assaults. Alas, the T-Bolt 5-ss is 10 tons lighter with similar damage potential and so this is run infrequently. Similarly, the L (which is what I pug in when I feel the need to Black Knight for fun) is an 8 MPL boat with a beagle and AMS. I put an XL385 in this one to run as a fast heavy and it is a lot of fun, but I would hesitate to run in CW because...the T-bolt and the fact it has an XL engine and needs to be brawling to be effective.

Edited by Bud Crue, 09 December 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#9 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

Their hardpoint location makes them relatively easy to brawl against. Not terribly scary since the most effective rig is MPL, just need to stay at 270m+ and shoot while moving laterally.

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

After the quirk pass, can't get a better all around build than the 6 with 3 LPL, 5 ML, XL 350, 19 DHS.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users