13 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Yup, I'm gonna do it...

I'm making a new steam account, gonna play it just like i never played the game before.. Play the trail, play the new trials... and run a trial mech for my first 25..

I really want to see what the new player experience is all about. I will go clan, as i need a clan account anyway, as so far al i play is IS, so perfect time.

Maybe i should try to lead? maybe i should just keep quite and see what it is all about. I am not sure.

I'm only a 3rd teir guy.. so is that so wrong? Maybe i would be higher if i always played meta in groups, i dunno..

My one question, should i feel bad about going clan on steam launch day? Or should i just lead IS and try to help?? Honestly, i will try to help either way... but the whole thought had me interested as a new player exp... Especially, as my third tier play, with my many mechs, has not moved a millimeter sense PSR hit.. :)

#2 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

I've been where you are now, I went with mastering the IS Mech I was most proficient in ( a real C-bill Earner!) Then I used that Mech to fund Clan Mech purchases, using CW to level and completely module a number of Clan Chassis.

It has worked very well.

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 09 December 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#3 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

I will probably smurf as well, though Tier 3 should get matched with Tier 5 anyways.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:46 AM

It's an interesting experiment. I sure had fun when I did the same a little while back. But it's probably going to be more fun now, with the Steam release and the Tiers.

I'm tempted to start a new account and run stock Inner Sphere mechs, just to prevent myself from playing too big of a part in Tier 5 matches. And then just hang back a little bit and feel what the gameplay is like. Observe how people are communicating.

But I'm kind of worried that the Steam release won't be like opening the flood gates. It could very well be some time before it picks up speed.

#5 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 December 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

But I'm kind of worried that the Steam release won't be like opening the flood gates. It could very well be some time before it picks up speed.

Yeah, when I went to steam I really had to search for MWO to find it, the day before steam launch... perhaps it gets blown up big today, but yesterday I didn't find it under the coming soon tab... is it only me?

#6 Excessive Paranoia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:03 AM

View PostDuke Nedo, on 10 December 2015 - 01:58 AM, said:

Yeah, when I went to steam I really had to search for MWO to find it, the day before steam launch... perhaps it gets blown up big today, but yesterday I didn't find it under the coming soon tab... is it only me?

I found it on the coming soon tab, but it was near the bottom. As of now, I don't see it getting promoted at all.

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:52 AM

It's not a new player experience if you are not a new player.

It's level capping yourself so you can fight noobs, I believe in WoW they'd call you a twinkie.

#8 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostMoldur, on 10 December 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

I will probably smurf as well, though Tier 3 should get matched with Tier 5 anyways.

What's the point of a smurf if you're T3?

#9 Jzaltheral

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:23 AM

View PostThe Mech Daddy, on 10 December 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

What's the point of a smurf if you're T3? aside from stroking your own epeen?

Fixed that for you.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

I've done this too, and when I did, I actually felt kind of dirty. My skill set had made me noticeably better than the average new pugger. I was often the one in a position to carry the match, or snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

The match that I had that really stands out in my mind from that, was a match where my trial Shadow Hawk soloed a Dire Wolf, Mad Dog and Timber Wolf.

#11 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

We need a cylon in a bathtub meme here quick.

#12 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostJzaltheral, on 10 December 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

Fixed that for you.

No Epeen stroking if nobody can recognise you tbh, it's mostly just to have easier games. You fixed nothing. And T3 smurfing is the same thing as a GN4 smurfs in csgo, no difference. Hell, there's never a difference in MWO because even T1 people are awful because the system isn't about skill but a grind.

#13 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

OP please dont the new guys are going to have it bad enough with the IIc mechs beating their faces in

#14 Furious Zen Master

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

You can't really get the new player experience all over again. You are already an experienced player, you know what works and what doesn't, you know where and how to move around the maps, it doesn't even compare. Only thing you share with the new players is the fact that you start with the same amount of assets, but you are a lot more qualified to make the most out of them.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users