[Updated With Gearvr] Diy Vr - Mwo With Google Cardboard (Working Head Tracking)

30 replies to this topic

#1 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

After a Few days of Tinkering with Various Apps and PC Programs, I've finally got it to work. This is full head tracking not torso control, So you will still be able to control your mech using the keyboard and mouse. For those of you who just want to use Head Tracking without using Google Cardboard This Tutorial should also work (Hopefully) Posted Image

Here's a video of how it looks like (sorry for the low quality)

Onwards to how i got this working.

Things you need:
1)A Samsung Phone Galaxy S5 or above.
2)Micro USB Data cable.
3)Google Cardboard Headset.

Software you need:
1)Trinus VR App on Google Play Store. https://play.google....xai.trinus.test
2)Trinus VR PC Server http://trinusvr.com/download-2/
3)OpenTrack https://github.com/o...ntrack/releases

Instructions:
1)install the Trinus VR app on your phone.
2)Install the Trinus VR server on your PC.
3)Install opentrack-2.3 rc21p4 on your PC
Posted Image

Posted Image

4)Connect your phone to the PC using the USB Cable and Enable USB Tethering on you Android Phone.(you can also use the "USB-Tap to Activate" button on the Trinus VR App later on)
5)Run the Trinus VR App on the phone
Posted Image

6) Activate USB Tethering or if you have already done it tap on the Triangular Start button.
Posted Image

7)Run the MWO game,set it to windowed mode in graphics setting. you can start a Training grounds game to test.
8)Run the Trinus VR Server program on the PC. Use these Settings show below.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

9) click on the Triangular Start Button on the server program.
10)you should be able to see the MWO screen on the Phone now.
11)Run the Opentrack program on the PC and set the following setttings.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

12) Click on the Start Button. you should be able to control the camera view using the phone.
13) you should now mess around with various sensor movement settings to make it smooth. once you got it right just stick your phone into the google cardboard headset and Enjoy!

Post your questions here and I will try to answer as best as i can.

[UPDATED WITH GEAR VR]
Ok i've bought the Samsung Gear VR with a Samsung Note 5. In order to get this working with the Gear VR is that you need to purchase an App called "Package Disabler Pro" from the Google Play Store.

https://play.google....kagedisablerpro

1)open the App and disable Gear VR Service.
2)Run Trinus VR
3)Inset phone into Gear VR
4)Optional: plug in USB Cable, Using Wireless mode was fine with me as there is no visable lag.
5)Follow the steps in the Tutorial and
Set the following options in the Trinus windows server app
a)Head mount model -> Gear VR,either option A or B depending on your pref
b)Force IP -> set this IP to your phone's IP Address if you are using Wireless mode
c)Set FOV to 120 in MWO for best experience.

Edited by Ekezial, 18 October 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#2 Khan Ninah

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

I don't have google cardboard. How? Buy for me pls.

#3 Commander Harrison

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

Someone give this guy his own unique "Title"

#4 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostKhan Ninah, on 10 December 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

I don't have google cardboard. How? Buy for me pls.

KNN -> http://list.qoo10.sg...GINAL/438620158

#5 Will Farmer

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

And then next, we just need to get it to do torso turns and get some wii controllers to work for arms, throw down some pedals and you are rockin' your own mech getup!

#6 Will Farmer

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Am I the only one now looking up google cardboard and such to do this???

#7 Vance423

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

I would really like to see this work for me in MWO as well as for some sim racing!

Has anyone tested it for latency? One of my hobbies is FPV multirotor racing and lag is killer. In that hobby the price for a mistake is real, no reset button.

It's about the same as ping, anything over 0.2 seconds (200ms) is noticable.

My hope is that since the data transfer is through a wired usb port latency shouldnt be an issue.

A quick easy test is to hold the goggles where tou can see them and the main pc screen and flip night vision on and off. Id like to know if they are instant or have a delay.

#8 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostWill Farmer, on 10 December 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

And then next, we just need to get it to do torso turns and get some wii controllers to work for arms, throw down some pedals and you are rockin' your own mech getup!

If you need Torso Turns with the Headset just change the sensor output to Mouse. You dont need to run Opentrack at all.
If you are looking for Wii controls, i also did one some time ago which is posted here
http://mwomercs.com/...e-mechpit-ever/

View PostVance423, on 10 December 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

I would really like to see this work for me in MWO as well as for some sim racing!

Has anyone tested it for latency? One of my hobbies is FPV multirotor racing and lag is killer. In that hobby the price for a mistake is real, no reset button.

It's about the same as ping, anything over 0.2 seconds (200ms) is noticable.

My hope is that since the data transfer is through a wired usb port latency shouldnt be an issue.

A quick easy test is to hold the goggles where tou can see them and the main pc screen and flip night vision on and off. Id like to know if they are instant or have a delay.

Response is about less or half a second.

#9 Will Farmer

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

That is very helpful for me! I appreciate it very much. The google cardboard kit is on order. Having a 3D printer also facilitates this lunacy....

#10 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

This article will also help those who has android phones and want to try out headtracking.
https://github.com/o...ne-Headtracking

View PostWill Farmer, on 13 December 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

That is very helpful for me! I appreciate it very much. The google cardboard kit is on order. Having a 3D printer also facilitates this lunacy....

This link will also help https://github.com/o...cross,-opendive

#11 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostWill Farmer, on 10 December 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Am I the only one now looking up google cardboard and such to do this???

http://mwomercs.com/...rd/page__st__20

#12 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

I got a samsung gear vr for christmas. Is there a way to use it to do this? It automatically boots up oculus every time I plug it in so I don't think Google cardboard will double it

#13 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

the gear vr is locked into the occulus walled garden unfortunately. Its only intended to play the minigames they licensed for their GearVR store, or games that are officially occulus compatible.

#14 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

Ok i've bought the Samsung Gear VR with a Samsung Note 5. In order to get this working with the Gear VR is that you need to purchase an App called "Package Disabler Pro" from the Google Play Store.

2)Run Trinus VR
4)Optional: plug in USB Cable, Using Wireless mode was fine with me as there is no visable lag.
b)Force IP -> set this IP to your phone's IP Address if you are using Wireless mode

Have fun looking around the cockpit.

#15 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:18 AM

View PostEkezial, on 10 December 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

After a Few days of Tinkering with Various Apps and PC Programs, I've finally got it to work. This is full head tracking not torso control, So you will still be able to control your mech using the keyboard and mouse. For those of you who just want to use Head Tracking without using Google Cardboard This Tutorial should also work (Hopefully) Posted Image

Here's a video of how it looks like (sorry for the low quality)

Onwards to how i got this working.

Things you need:
1)A Samsung Phone Galaxy S5 or above.
2)Micro USB Data cable.
3)Google Cardboard Headset.

Software you need:
1)Trinus VR App on Google Play Store. https://play.google....xai.trinus.test
2)Trinus VR PC Server http://trinusvr.com/download-2/
3)OpenTrack https://github.com/o...ntrack/releases

Instructions:
1)install the Trinus VR app on your phone.
2)Install the Trinus VR server on your PC.
3)Install opentrack-2.3 rc21p4 on your PC
Posted Image

Posted Image

4)Connect your phone to the PC using the USB Cable and Enable USB Tethering on you Android Phone.(you can also use the "USB-Tap to Activate" button on the Trinus VR App later on)
5)Run the Trinus VR App on the phone
Posted Image

6) Activate USB Tethering or if you have already done it tap on the Triangular Start button.
Posted Image

7)Run the MWO game,set it to windowed mode in graphics setting. you can start a Training grounds game to test.
8)Run the Trinus VR Server program on the PC. Use these Settings show below.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

9) click on the Triangular Start Button on the server program.
10)you should be able to see the MWO screen on the Phone now.
11)Run the Opentrack program on the PC and set the following setttings.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

12) Click on the Start Button. you should be able to control the camera view using the phone.
13) you should now mess around with various sensor movement settings to make it smooth. once you got it right just stick your phone into the google cardboard headset and Enjoy!

Post your questions here and I will try to answer as best as i can.

[UPDATED WITH GEAR VR]

2)Run Trinus VR

Why a Samsung phone?

#16 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Well, I've been experimenting with this and my Nexus 6P.

I'm able to get video, but I can't get opentrack to work. If I set the Trinus sensor output to Mouse, I can use the headset to "mouselook" successfully (but with a lot of noise so it's jiggly) so I know Trinus is capturing head movement and sending it to my PC. However, switching to Opentrack (and trying to have the UDP port set to the same number instead of the 4241 and 4242 above as well as exactly as shown) hasn't worked - I just get nothing on Opentrack (no sensor raw data shown, no response on screen/in game.

However, trying to just play this way is pretty immersive with a headset, except for the latency. Even with a USB connection, there's probably a 300-500ms latency (op mentioned this too) - that's just too much for me, which is too bad, because I'd be up for this even without head tracking.

#17 Xhypros

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hey!

I also just grabbed myself a gearVR and am trying to setup stuff by your guide. I'm having a problem with two things:

1. HUD elements are outside of the viewing area - what did you do to alleviate that? Reducing the whole scale seems to be counter-productive since then we can't get the full viewing experience. Trinus seems to have a "HUD fix" option, still fidgeting with that to see if I can rearrange the elements a bit.

2. The latest Opentrack is not getting any input from Trinus although the ports should be set up correctly (Opentrack is listening on Trinus redirect + 1). Could you verify that your setup still works with the latest versions?

Trinus - 2.0.6b
Opentrack - 2.3-rc21p11

Epic thanks for the tutorial - I love the idea of getting the most out of this small VR getup.

#18 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostXhypros, on 17 April 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Hey!

I also just grabbed myself a gearVR and am trying to setup stuff by your guide. I'm having a problem with two things:

1. HUD elements are outside of the viewing area - what did you do to alleviate that? Reducing the whole scale seems to be counter-productive since then we can't get the full viewing experience. Trinus seems to have a "HUD fix" option, still fidgeting with that to see if I can rearrange the elements a bit.

2. The latest Opentrack is not getting any input from Trinus although the ports should be set up correctly (Opentrack is listening on Trinus redirect + 1). Could you verify that your setup still works with the latest versions?

Trinus - 2.0.6b
Opentrack - 2.3-rc21p11

Epic thanks for the tutorial - I love the idea of getting the most out of this small VR getup.

I had the same problem, was also unable to get Opentrack+Trinus to work :(

The lag in the display wrecked the whole thing for me, so I let it go, but i was kind of disappointed because if that part at least worked I'd have head tracking by taping a spare phone to a hat =)

#19 3DK

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

Actualy Opentracl and Trinus are working. The problem is that MWO is not moving freelook. So its more like Opentrack isn't cooperating with game not with Trinus

#20 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

A while ago I made an edtracker http://edtracker.org.uk/ and opentrack was working. Did you guys set it to trackir?

Running the normal version or the steam version?

Edited by Flapdrol, 02 May 2016 - 12:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users