Beginner Friendly Battlemechs.

Question

108 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Just wondering what'd be some mechs i should think about getting as my first mech? I'm using the trial Enforcer and am liking it's playstyle.

I'm mainly wanting to play mmedium or heavy class Battlemechs.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 10 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#2 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

Centurion
Hunchback
Jagermech
Thunderbolt.

#3 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

Hunchbacks are frequently recommended for new players that want to pilot Inner Sphere mechs. I also like Enforcers, nice brawly mechs. The Thunderbolt is a strong IS heavy mech. For the clan side, can't go wrong with Stormcrows and Timberwolves.

#4 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

The above choices are great, although I'm always a little bit skeptical about the centurion, since it has such a flat wide torso for absorbing hits with.

If you are into heavies, I do recommend that at some point you try to invest in a Timber Wolf. It's not the most beginner friendly in the sense that it gets focused a lot, but it is probably the best heavy you can get (which is why it gets focused a lot).

#5 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

The Stormcrow is without a shadow of a doubt the best medium mech you can learn on. It is fast, it has good hitboxes and it can carry all three weapon types (ballistic, energy and missile).

I recommend it over any heavy because its speed allows you to bail out of positioning mistakes a lot easier.

Edited by Kristian Radoulov, 10 December 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#6 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

i'm liking the Timber Wolf. had a great match in the trial one. not too fussed on the hunchback. The Enforcer was the only mech i had kills with. Not to fussed on the Stormcrow but i think i just need to play it more.

I'm being assisted by a clan and one of them did mention getting a BlackJack BJ-1x or BJ-3 variant in fact.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 10 December 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#7 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

Hunchbacks are my primary recommendation for new players. There is a Hunchback for any play style/weapon.

Enforces have recently been a second recommendation, but it's restriction to ballistic oriented builds tends to limit it.

For players interested in energy builds, the Crab (once it's out for C-bills) actually would replace my recommendation as a great beginner mech for players. It's got a smooth play style, good hitboxes (just primarily use standard engines, which are cheaper to get than XLs), and can go decent speeds with decent firepower. (Remember to twist, and even if you don't the Crab still tends to shift damage nicely.)

Beyond that... There are a lot of great mechs, but the Hunchback and Crab I think takes the award for best learner mech. Hunchback for it's variety of mech loadouts (you can have three different chassis that each will play differently), and the Crab for it's general abilities and ease of use. (The Crab tends to lean towards easier to use build loadouts.)

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

Okay. Been using the trail light mechs. fell in love with the Jenner after getting 2 kills and 6 kill assists and winning the match. If i wanted a light mech what'd be my choices?

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 10 December 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Okay. Been using the trail light mechs. fell in love with the Jenner after getting 2 kills and 6 kill assists and winning the match. If i wanted a light mech what'd be my choices?

Clans: Arctic Cheetah.
IS: Firestarter, Wolfhound and... maybe the Jenner?

#10 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

I fell for the Hunchback recommendation years ago. HATED it! I kinda like them now though. Anyway, you can check the list here and get an idea of what are currenly good mechs and build ideas.

http://metamechs.com...ists/comp-list/

Edit: I wouldn't go with a Light as my first mech. You need to earn C-bills to buy more mechs and Light are unfortunately not up to par at earning C-bills, especially for a new player. Big damage leads to big earnings. There are other things that add to earnings but damage/kills/wins are easiest to focus on.

Edited by Moomtazz, 10 December 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#11 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

IS: Jenner, Firestarter, Raven, Spider.
Clan: Cheetah, or Kitfox.

I say pretty much anything that can have jumpjets, becasue the last thing you want from walking off that cliff is a destroyed leg.

#12 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

For me, I would choose based on what I own:
IS - Hunchbacks & Enforcers, have not found a Heavy for me yet.
Clan - Ebon Jaguar. I have 1 of 2 Mediums to recommend but I know it is only for a small number of people.

#13 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

IS lights: jenner, firestarter
medium: hunchback, blackjack
heavy: jagermech, thunderbolt
assualt: stalker, zeus

clan light:artic cheetah
medium: stormcrow
heavy: timberwolf, hellbringer
assualt:executioner, warhawk

My normal recommendation is go for a medium mech first and that usually ends up being a hunchback. they have a wide variety of build options and use standard engines so are cheaper to get up and running than just about any other medium. Lights look cheap but get real expensive once you factor in the XL engine most require to function properly.
So get a hunchback if you want IS or astormcrow if you want clan. best bang for the cbill.

#14 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

Whoa, whoa there, let's not steer them wrong. First off, ignore the comp tier list. That's rubbish for new folk. That list is designed for a specific playstyle, which might not suit you. And frankly I've seen new folk make poor decisions that made them unhappy because of that list.

Now, so far, I've gather you like ballistics and lasers (the enforcer,) and lights. Lights are harsh to learn on, but they'll teach you well. Now, the firestarter is pretty much a lasermech, but if your okay with that, it's quality. Wolfhound is more of the same, but less jumpjets and I feel they run slower standard engine builds better, but that's just me. Jenner used to be easy to shoot down, but for now, listen to others 'bout it since I've never piloted one. If you like clan mechs, since you mentioned getting assistance from a clan, the arctic cheetah is the only decent consideration. You can dip into the others later, and who knows, you may love the Puma (Adder) which is a light that plays like a medium, but I'd wait till your sure, or have cbills to burn.

Now, as to real mediums, you got plenty of choices. So, I'm just gonna leave this here, and let you play around with building your own. Figure what weapons you like, decide on what speed's good for you, an pay attention to cooling efficiency. Check out the trial enforcer in there and see if you can build something you'd like better. Then, here's the kicker, come back, post a build, lets us tell you it's strengths an it's weaknesses, and then you can make an informed choice with plenty of input.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 December 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 10 December 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

I'm being assisted by a clan and one of them did mention getting a BlackJack BJ-1x or BJ-3 variant in fact.

just for your imformation, to avoid the possibility of confusion in future,
if you mean group of players that it a unit,

Clan refers to the Clan factions in this game, they are at current invading the Inner Sphere of the galaxy, using the more advanced Clan technoligy, they are decended from the Star League Defense Force who fled the Inner Sphere about 300 years ago when the Star League collapsed, and while the great houses of the IS have been fighting a series of devastating wars in which much technology was lost, the Clans have had almost 300 years to improve on Star League technology.

I do not really have anything to add to the discussion except to say I think the IS 50 and 55 ton Mechs are probably a better choice for a new player than Clan Mechs mostly because, due to the fact that they can use Standard engines, in most cases you can build 2 for the price of a Stormcrow, ot Timber Wolf and still end up with a pretty good Mech

#16 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

Best mech to get as an beginner is the Clan Omnimech "Stormcrow". Because it can be configured to allow virtually any play style.

It seem to be expensive at first. However, Inner Sphere battle mechs need to buy alot of upgrades that are already installed on clan mechs.

If you put the same engine, weaponry and upgrades in an Inner Sphere mech as a Clan Omnimechs already has by standard, it is about the same price.

In addition, the Stormcrow is one of the best mechs ingame and without discussion the best available medium mech.

As an inexperienced beginner, you should not play anything else then the most strongest mechs.

Edited by xe N on, 11 December 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#17 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

Try the Thunderbolt 9SE. Probably the most mistake-friendly IS 'mech.

#18 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

View Postxe N on, on 11 December 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

Best mech to get as an beginner is the Clan Omnimech "Stormcrow". Because it can be configured to allow virtually any play style.
It seem to be expensive at first. However, Inner Sphere battle mechs need to buy alot of upgrades that are already installed on clan mechs.
If you put the same engine, weaponry and upgrades in an Inner Sphere mech as a Clan Omnimechs already has by standard, it is about the same price.
(...)

Well, the clan omnimechs ARE more expensive than IS mechs. Not because of total cost of the mech+equipment+upgrades, but because of the fact thay they have hardlocked engines. You can buy 3 jenners and ONE 300xl engine to put in that jenner you want to play at the moment, while if you buy a clan mech, you'll be forced to pay for their engines. Fun fact: I have about 6 IS mechs built around IS xl300 engine, but only one xl300 engine Posted Image

Also, I tested the Jenner after the last hitbox update and rebalance a bit. Not enough to say for sure, but IMHO jenners are now at least pretty good if not competitive. Much tankier than before. Still not as tanky as human shaped 30-35 tonners, but the fastest and most agile among them.

#19 BigBaka

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 10 December 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

All BJ variant are sturdy all hell right now because of the new quirks and seem quite OP in the medium chasis. I expected them to be nerfed soon But as a beginner, I would skip medium and go for heavies, just because they r the workhorses in which you are able to learn&earn. I started with a Shawdowhawk years ago and I was quite dissapointed of my performance till I went for a Jagermech and later the Thunderbolt.

#20 Tester128

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

Blackjack is good, especially 1x. but it will require quite an investment in xl engine.
I myself went hunchback and stormcrow when i started

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users