#21 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostCoralld, on 13 December 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Don't forget, once you unlock and max out LRM10 Cooldown Module, his missile cooldown will get a 12% boost in its cooldown, making the LRM10s fire a total of 47% faster.

I did not forget but considering the GXP and Cbill cost of maxing out a weapon module I disregarded it, it will be weeks if not months before the average new player should think about purchasing modules, the cost (about as many cbills as purchasing a Hunchback + about as much GXP as you will earn mastering a chassis) makes them end game content

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 13 December 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#22 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

hey koori,
if you like lurming enemies to death, there aren't that many viable mechs to do it with.
the hunchie is a common choice;

my personal bombardier is the awesome 8r.
it has quirks for lrm15's (and large lasers)

what i do is mix 2 15s, 2 10s and put 2 large laser in the arm, with xl engine, command console and bap, with target retention module and get artemis too

and i only shoot alphas of lrms when the enemy simply cannot get cover. otherwise i pepper the large laser which is also quirked for duration (this is really neat quirk) and cooldown.

the reason to mix 2 lrm15 + 2 lrm10 is because with the module you can make the 15s shoot as fast as the 10s and you can shoot all at once. lrm50. it wrecks assault mechs cause everything goes into the ct. only the atlas and the zeus are more likely to tank your shots these days.
the way you play this fellow is to deny the open spaces to the enemy, either with the laser or the threat of long range missiles.

some people go for 4 lrm 15s quirked and only put med las on the arm. but i would rather have llas on my arm any day, and you lose the sync with 10s and the lower heat for 50 alpha like i said. you gotta mind that when you play it's not about DPS this build it's about alphas (different playstyle / design philosophy)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93a379dfcfe8fa3

use the large las to poke dps and when the enemy steps out of cover WHAM 50 lurms on their ct

keep your loadout a surprise as long as possible

it is really fun to catch a king crab away from his team because you will vaporize it in a couple of shots.
that is pretty hilarious it almost makes you feel a bit bad, the dire wolf doesn't fare much better either

the way i got my weap groups set up is one with 2 largelasers on chainfire, and each of the other two weapon groups has a lrm10 plus a lrm15 each

for the other 2 variants you can also get a 8v and 8t both of which are lrm friendly you can do some area denial with streams of lrm5-10 and support that with long range lasers (they both have energy range quirks as well)

check this out also:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11801180d94710b

Edited by Mazzyplz, 13 December 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#23 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

That sounds fantastic! Yeah, LRMs have been my favorite so far. I hadn't really considered a medium mech, though, because I figured I would need the armor a heavy mech provides.

Since you seem to prefer LRMs at the moment, look into equipping TAG.

TAG, Target Acquisition Gear, is a laser you 'paint' the target with to achieve faster locks and land more missiles.

One ton, put in an energy hardpoint, generates no heat, energy range quirks effect it, and needs to be on target, so want LoS.

If you have missile bay doors, and your mech does, learn the open/close missile bay key. Takes a second for the doors to open before the first missile launches however, open doors provide less armor then closed.

#24 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

Some tips.

Smaller launchers hold tighter groups and have faster cooldown. An lrm5 is 2t and lrm10 is 5t. Lrm5 hold a tighter pattern than Lrm10s. The Hunchie 4J is a great lurmer but is heavily quirked and that might not last much longer. Basically any IS medium that can hold 4 lrm5 is going to be comparable to the 2 lrm10 Hunchie.

The 20 tube count is a sweet spot for a balanced IS medium lurmer.

Chainfiring multiple lrms is called spamming, they hit continuously causing endless screen shakes and explosions for the target, this seriously impairs their ability to fight. Lrm5s have the fastest cooldown. Any medium that can boat 4 lrm5 can achieve this affect. 2 of the cbill available Kintaros and the Hero can, and the 4th is a quirked laser boat that has 3 missile hardpoints, good for srms or streaks. Shadow Hawk 2D2 also has 2 energy and 1 ballistic points and Jump Jets. Trebuchet Loup De Guerre is also a high flyer with 4 missile and 2 energy points. Griffin 3M and 2N both have 2 energy and 4 missile points jj and the 2N has ecm. All of these mechs but the Shadow Hawk can boat 4 srm6, the KTO 18 can run 5 srm6 (nasty).
You can alpha 4 srm6 with out ghost heat and these jj mediums are tons of fun to poptart with srms. Hide behind low cover and watch for targets or use a seismic sensor and jump strait up and shotgun all 4 launchers and fall back. If they don't have LOS they have no idea where it came from usually. I call it rockets from the sky gods.

Plenty of variants of these that can carry 2 lrm10 or 1 lrm10 and 2 lrm5. Doesn't do the chainfire rattle as well because of a pause beore the missiles reload. But are very servicable. You get a chance with all these chassis to explore other fighting styles. These builds can alpha without ghost heat

Most of these mechs are fairly cheap as well.

Mediums can be fairly fast which means you can take advantage of positioning Heavies and Assaults can't. This makes hunting the flank for your own targets much safer. Lurming comes down to positioning and situational awareness being everything.
Anyone can boat lrms and do ok as easy as the hitscan meta. Being a highly proficient rain dancers is one of the most difficult jobs in this game.

Lights are your enemy because even brawlers have a hard time with a couple of them. You need to stay aware of where the enemy lights are at all times and why your main objective should be to stay in the pack until you learn the maps and how to mitigate lights. Its a waste of ammo but if you get a chance to bomb a light, prudence says spend it and kill him.

My favorite mech and build
KTO-18(C)
With a lrm5 cooldown module + modest cooldown quirks this mech produces a never ending stream of lrm5. You can switch up and snipe from a decent range with the adv. zoom module and erll range module. Lrm5 range module is worthless because of travel time, 1125m is about 10 sec.

A build for the Catapult.
Smurf builds take a min, had that link on hand. So a sc for this one.
Posted Image

Chainfire is a must because of ghost heat. Be aware that chainfire spaces them out, don't just go on blast, thats not as much ammo as it looks like. The A1 is hard to protect because fighting lights with srms takes practice.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 13 December 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#25 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

The best thing you can do as a new pilot is to play with better players and those with experience. Church of Skill on Sundays 7pm EST - like now - ts32.gameservers.com:9207 .. reddit.com/r/outreachhpg for community info.

#26 Sam Doehart

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Awesome! Well, I have decided to stick with the Catapult for a but, just till I get the ropes. I tried a Hunchback, but I'm not quite skilled enough, I think, because I kept dying. Once I get better, though, I'll try moving to Hunchback. Thanks guys! And if anyone still has advice, I'd still be glad for any help! Also, anyone who would like to friend me is welcome to =)

#27 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

That sounds fantastic! Yeah, LRMs have been my favorite so far. I hadn't really considered a medium mech, though, because I figured I would need the armor a heavy mech provides.

in this game outside of a few mechs, Mediums are really the best LRM mechs.. they have the speed to re-position and flank, or get in just behind the brawlers to lob LRM's right over the head of them.. in the 200-400m range..

LRM's are not really good long range weapons.. so staying back, and lobbing them is really a bad tactic. You would be better off with weapons like AC-5, ac2, gauss, PPC, or ERLL's for that.. LRM's are really a medium range weapon.. outside of someone just getting stuck in no mans land running across a great open area.. which happens a lot less often than you would think.

#28 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

A couple of notes about lrms and the Catapult. Lrms have a minimum range of 180m. At 179m to target your lrms will do no damage, so keep the enemies close but not too close. Also under ~400m, lrms fly in a relatively flat trajectory, but once beyond that range they go in more of an arc.

To get the best out of the Catapult, you will want an XL engine. They are more expensive and take up an additional 3 critical spaces in each side torso, but they are lighter which will allow you to carry more ammo. Note that not all mechs are considered XL friendly because if you lose a side torso with an XL engine, you will die. The catapult has tiny side torsos so most drivers will load XLs in 'pults.

Have fun and I'll see on the battlefield.

#29 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:38 AM

recorded some footage from my missile boat, i forgot to press record from the start lol

#30 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

If you like playing the fire support role, the Mad Dog is the Clan version of the Catapult and better in just about every way.

#31 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

Kanajashi has a nice LRM tutorial, btw.

#32 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostCoralld, on 13 December 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

As to what was said above, there are different forms of long range fire support. However given what you described, im guessing you are talking about LRMs. A good LRM mech would be the Hunchback 4J. It is a LRM monster with 2x LRM10s with plenty of energy hardpoints for back up weapons and a energy mount in the head for you to install a TAG system which acts like a laser pointer and buffs all LRMs that are being fired at an enemy you are tagging.
The HBK 4J can also be upgraded with a heavier engine to make it run faster, 250 rated is the standard for most Hunchback builds.
As always, get Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks.
The mech, like all HBK builds, are rather cheap and don't cost all that much to buy and build.

Also look at the Kintaro and less so the griffin if you like LRM use.

The Kintaro has decent survivability and its weapons are spread all over the mech allowing firepower mitigation if a component is destroyed. It would personally be my choice as it caries a decent mix of energy backup and slots for long range missiles.

The Griffin can be upgraded to be a potentially nasty mech and is quite agile with jump jets however like the hunchback it has all it's eggs in one basket with the bulk of the firepower in one torso and adjacent arm typically so loose that and you lose most of your effectiveness. However if further down the road you want to upgrade it and have got a little better at staying out of harms way an XL engine makes it both fast and manoeuvrable yet with a very respectable fire-power that a heavy can rival but the trade off is an XL engined Griffin is quite easy to kill.

A case can be made for the Centurion to some extent as some have three missile slots but it seriously requires an XL engine to make a LRM Centurion so Costly and i wouldn't bolster this recommendation. It would however allow you to taste ballistic and energy builds if you wanted to do direct fire long range support.

Edited by mad kat, 14 December 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#33 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:47 PM

View PostHawk_eye, on 14 December 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Kanajashi has a nice LRM tutorial, btw.

Oooh nice, will have to enjoy a little Kanajashi time on YouToobz.

What I'm really on here looking for is any tutorials with graphics on the target info box, what all the symbols are. I'm partway through this LRM tutorial and can see you keep the reticule in the box until it, I guess, turns into an IDF reticule. Still not sure what other symbols mean tho - the eyeball, the three bars, etc.

#34 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:19 PM

The Wiki is a good source to start. Doesn't cover all symbols but we can help you with the rest. Just ask specifically.

#35 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 July 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

The Wiki is a good source to start. Doesn't cover all symbols but we can help you with the rest. Just ask specifically.

Thanks. Actually got quite a bit from what I've seen so far from the Kanajashi and Kagekaze vids on YouTube. Lurmlock requires a time-on-target to change from spinning circles to a round reticule, ECM flag means the target is unlockable unless it's got a strikethrough from TAG (square crosshair symbol) or NARC (beacony broadcasty symbol).

That leaves two I still haven't found so far: the three bars and the eye. What're thoses?

#36 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:16 PM

three bars means "Low Signal", the mech that displays these is under the effect of enemy ECM. This means it cannot broadcast his target lock info, can't lock onto enemies and its TAG doesn't work.
The eye symbol means that the mech is under the cover of friendly ECM and can only be targeted at lower ranges, depending on the skill nodes the owner of the ECM chose.

ECM can be countered by active probes or ECM put to counter mode (they don't counter stealth, though); a hit with a PPC of any type will also disable ECM (and stealth) for a few seconds.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 16 July 2020 - 09:19 PM.

#37 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:52 AM

View PostElfcat, on 16 July 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

ECM flag means the target is unlockable unless it's got a strikethrough from TAG (square crosshair symbol) or NARC (beacony broadcasty symbol).

No, ECM extends the lock time but doesn't outright prevent locks (active Stealth Armor does). It also only does that against IDF locks and will not slow down your lock if you have line of sight on the enemy mech.

#38 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

Thanks all. I did manage to find this nice rundown as well.

https://mwomercs.com...dian-ecm-suite/

#39 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:25 AM

Nice find! Keep in mind that the mechanism has changed over the years. Most significantly was the range of the ECM bubble reduced to 120m. And the range reduction to detect the cloaked mechs is now depending on the skills the ECM user has invested in.

Also, there's one more status icon that we haven't covered yet. It looks like a reticule or a sensor screen and indicates that you are near a friendly Cyclops mech, which increases your sensor range.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 19 July 2020 - 02:27 AM.

#40 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:35 PM

Now all I have to figure out is how to be circumspect while always moving and find the balance between steering, bumping a twitchy reticule, and letting someone else's direction of travel get where it needs to be before I'm a melted mess. How the hell do I keep loving a game I suck so hard at, what is my major malfunction!!!??? LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users