Help Me Pick What You Think Is The Worst Mech

125 replies to this topic

#21 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

Based on what I have played and is not on your list I'd would say one of these chassis:
Mist Lynx: Haven't been successful at all in this one.
Possibly the Ice Ferrett and Shadow Cat. I can actually get builds that work well, but the mechs as a whole seem sub par.
Summoner: I actually have a few builds I like, but it is also subpar overall.

Ironically the Vindicator doesn't get much love, but I actually liked and enjoyed the chassis. I thought it performed very well. Then again I prefer all my Inner Sphere chassis over Clan tech. But most of the ones I have not liked how they played you already listed.

#22 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

Victor, Mist Lynx, Summoner

Other popularly unpopular ones that I strongly disagree with:
Executioner, Gargoyle, Vindicator, Highlander, Zeus (maybe not seen as a 'worst' mech by many, but gets very little recognition)

#23 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

I Definitely vote the Vindi 1-x
I must have tried 20 different builds on the thing and I couldn't make any of them work for me (you might have better luck/patience)
The 1x is the only mech I've ever sold. I have a k/d ratio in it of 0.09 (2 kills, 23 deaths) compared to my universal 0.83 k/d

The problem I find is you get three ballistic slots, with the tonnage/crit space in that arm to use one of them unless machine guns, otherwise you have just a single missile, a one crit energy and 1 energy that you can put a big weapon in - this puts it hardpoint wise down with the commandos (which I have an average kd ratio of 0.5 in across the 2D, 3A and 1B) except this thing has a speed cap just over half the speed of the commando.

For comparison the mist lynx that others in this thread are suggesting I do 0.6, 0.73 and 0.37 k/d with the three variants I own

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

Spiders, but you must level both the 5V and Anansi which are both horrible.

#25 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostTercieI, on 17 December 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

Spiders, but you must level both the 5V and Anansi which are both horrible.

Hey now. At least the 5V can jump and annoy the daylights out of every straggler assault mech. SDR-5V

The Anansi...ehhhh. I was going to say you could troll people using a gauss in that arm, but it doesn't have enough tonnage to do anything but 1-2 tons of ammo and no armor. But yeah, it's pretty terrible.

#26 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

I'm going to say Kintaro is pretty lame, because basically anything it can do, the Griffin or Shadowhawk can do better.
Then I would also agree that the Vindicator is sub-par. Never seen it really used successfully.

#27 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hm. I'm also going to vote in the Awesome. For a mech with a name like that, its hitboxes sure don't live up to its name...

#28 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostArcturusWolf, on 17 December 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hey now. At least the 5V can jump and annoy the daylights out of every straggler assault mech. SDR-5V

The Anansi...ehhhh. I was going to say you could troll people using a gauss in that arm, but it doesn't have enough tonnage to do anything but 1-2 tons of ammo and no armor. But yeah, it's pretty terrible.

Oh, yeah. That 12 point alpha annoys...who now?

#29 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostTercieI, on 20 December 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Oh, yeah. That 12 point alpha annoys...who now?

It's got +30% E-cooldown and 30% laser duration reduction, which means that with a module and Fast Fire skill it can fire once every (0.4s + 1.5s = 1.9s). That's actually 6 sustained DPS to someone's rear end, which can quickly destroy a heavy from the rear. How else do you think the LCT-1V racks up massive numbers with its single LPL on a 1.7s cooldown? It works the same way as this spider with its dual MPL; repeated rapid-fire moderate-damage hits.

On that note: SDR-5V 1 LPL. Cooldown, range, laser duration quirks turns this into a bit of a monster.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 20 December 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#30 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

For Clans: The Mist Lynx....I got it gifted for some past event and never could do much with it. To few hardpoints for light wepon boatin and not enough tonnage for large maingun weapons and ammo or heatsinks.

The Ice Ferret. Annemic hardpoints in most variants. Maybe could go as missile boat ?

The Summoner: A great mech in MW3 but only mediocre ( only usable as jumpsniper ) in MW4 and absolutely underwhelming in MWO. Oversized engine, annemic hardpoints and low module space.

Gargoyle...like above.

Cant say anything about Gladiator but it suffers like the Victor from what I heared.

For Inner sphere lights just the commando commes to my mind as clearly underwhelming.

There are several mediums competing for worst mech in game in my eyes, Vindicator for odd hardpoints, Kintaro and Trebuchet for beeing assault sized and medium armored.

For the IS Heavy branch there is no outright terrible Mech or at least only one variant is clearly underpowered.
Still dont like the Dragon, the Quickdraw and the Orion, but thats only me.

For Assault mech I clearly dislike the Victor since its movment model was nerfed, its jumpjets neutered and PPC and Gauss nerfed into oblivion.
My Dragonslayer felt like Achilles after someone cut of his testicles and one foot and shaved his head and ripped out all his teeth.

Edited by The Basilisk, 20 December 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#31 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

Vindy 1X.

Even your stock urbie is better! :D

#32 Idisvali

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:23 AM

A lot of those mechs are good! I'm very effective in the Urbie. Also, the Shadowcat is the most effective mech out there (if used properly)!

I'd go with the mistlynx - on paper it should be really effective, but it isn't for some reason. I think it is that extra drop in armour you get with being 25 tons - it makes it weaker than a spider.

I'm pretty sure I could be effective in the Vindicator 1x btw. It was the only Vindi I was tempted to get.

#33 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

The Mist Lynx is the ultimate challenge. The OP wants a challenge? Try to make the Mist Lynx work, hundreds before you have tried and failed.

#34 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

Vindi's, virtually all the dragons are considered bad. Pretty baby, Boars Head. and the Highlanders are a bit anemic these days.. I have the hardest time in Victors... pilot whatever you think is hard?

#35 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

Clan: Mist lynx, Kit Fox, Ice Ferret. Gargs and Summoners

IS: Commandos, Trebuchet's, Vindicators, Victors, Awesomes

#36 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 31 December 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Clan: Kit Fox

I don't think Kit Foxes are all that bad. It's just that people try to use them as lights while they should actually be treated either as a really small, somewhat-mobile KGC, or a mini Streakcrow. I will say that they are extremely painful to level, but once mastered they aren't half bad.

Over the course of about 250 matches, I've managed to rack up 90k damage across all three of my Kit Foxes. That's almost 375 damage average a match, which is better than I could say for even my ravens (400k damage over 1500 matches; slightly less than 275/match average). I reckon the Badder is more deserving of that spot.

MLX, however... and the VND-1X...those are truly, TRULY awful mechs D: Only someone who finds Losing is Fun ™ will truly be able to stand those.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 01 January 2016 - 11:21 PM.

#37 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

I've settled with starting with the mist lynx, vindies will probably come second.

Trying 2mp 2smlp right now with an average of 300 damage. Nothing amazing unlike what the wolverine 7d(l) has surprised me with recently.
But too early to tell, will need about 500 matches before I judge. That is excluding the experimentation I need to find a build that works for me.

So any build suggestions are welcome too!
Got a 3 srm2 1 mpl build comming after I Feel I got the first build performance down.

Edited by Euklides, 03 January 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#38 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostEuklides, on 14 December 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

Not really a thread about evaluating what I already like.

I do not tend to agree with the normal circle jerk regarding the "bad" mechs. I think most people claiming that is just having a knee jerk reaction regarding something that does not work for them.

That is also why I am here asking for input on what to buy, to test if the "bad" holds up as bad when I pilot them myself.

Good on ya man, I've also made it somewhat of a hobby, to Master "terrible" mechs and make them frightening to play against. I'm only Tier 2 atm, but my PSR has been rising steadily lately and I really use nothing but these "bad" mechs. Unfortunately, I'm quite partial to Omni's so I haven't managed to drag any IS mechs outa the gutter yet. Perhaps I'll start today with whatever you choose.

So far my favorite mechs of all time, the ones I'm undoubtedly deadliest in, are the Kitfox, Nova, and Summoner. Actually you might try the Summoner, it and the Ice Ferret are undisputed as the worst two clan mechs.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 03 January 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#39 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 21 December 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

The Mist Lynx is the ultimate challenge. The OP wants a challenge? Try to make the Mist Lynx work, hundreds before you have tried and failed.

View PostArcturusWolf, on 01 January 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

MLX, however... and the VND-1X...those are truly, TRULY awful mechs D: Only someone who finds Losing is Fun ™ will truly be able to stand those.

View PostEuklides, on 03 January 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

I've settled with starting with the mist lynx, vindies will probably come second.

So any build suggestions are welcome too!
Got a 3 srm2 1 mpl build comming after I Feel I got the first build performance down.

The Myst Lynx is not that hard, it'd be one of my favs if the Jenner IIC didn't recently steal its job for me; ERPPC, ECM, bring to CW and rack up 1000 damage. Myst Lynx has the advantage of essentially not existing so far as anyone else is concerned. When you combine the low aggro with the tiny hitbox and a long range fire and forget weapon, you can finish matches without a scratch.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 03 January 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#40 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Of the mechs I Own, I'd say Cents, though the issue may just be my builds for them, I Tend to do better in Trebs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users