Help Me Pick What You Think Is The Worst Mech

125 replies to this topic

#81 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

I consider myself a connoisseur of mechs regarded as "bad". The Awesome and Commando were favorites of mine even before the quirk system. Ice Ferret? Love it! Pre-quirk Cicada? Had the full collection. Dragon? Don't mind if I do!

One of the things I enjoy about Mechwarrior as a franchise is there's so many ways to play it that you can follow the crowd with the flavor of the month builds or you can blow minds and blindside the enemy with something they aren't expecting. It's great fun!

However, there are some mechs that I just haven't been able to make work. No matter what I tried, I couldn't make the Kit Fox work. I got so frustrated after a couple months of tinkering with them that I sold them off and bought the Adder (which I like quite a bit better). So my challenge to you is to prove me wrong. Get Kit Foxes and dominate the field with them!

#82 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

Any mech is worst mech, when you don´t mount weapons .
The rest is just hype and personal preference .

How can I say such a thing in the face of metamechs.com and other such things ?

I `VE SEEN THINGS HAPPEN

or to be more precise

I´ve seen people go "godlike" in absolute non-meta mechs/loadouts, against all odds/chances/hardpointplacements/quirkenings/ridicule .

It´s down to the pilot as usual, not the mech, get that fact finally into those dense heads of y´all .

#83 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostEuklides, on 10 January 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

Got a match that showcases how I feel it plays like, I've done better, I've done worse. But this one shows what I've been talking about:
https://youtu.be/uYtkqd_ptLQ

Thanks for posting that video. Took me a while to identify the song playing at the beginning, but just LOVE IT! (FWIW and anyone else is interested:Caravan Palace - Dragons)

Nice MLX-play too. Posted Image

Edited by PFC Carsten, 27 February 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#84 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

If I wasn't such a hardcore assault fanatic I would say most of the Awesome variants are tied for worst mech. However, they have a certain cool factor about them that prevents me from considering them as the worst mech. I believe the title of worst mech belongs to the locust. Specifically that weird model with the 20 stock armor that no one ever uses. To me, they just seem bad. They will die to a light mechs alpha, and even though they run fast, any decent pilot will be able to hit the things. They lack JJ's, firepower, and armor. Their only saving grace is their speed, and even in that regard they are outclassed by other mechs. That's just my opinion.

Peace, and have fun

#85 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:59 AM

I'm drawn to mechs most consider "bad" just got the Kit Fox C or KFC as i read it.

had one match where i was last man 2v1 and i stuffed up and lost. did 423 there.

Then this happened: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=634534804

this is a picture of the build: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=634534936

#86 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 27 February 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Nice MLX-play too. Posted Image

He has awesome piloting skills... Chapeau!

#87 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Vindicator. Low engine cap, low tonnage, horribly placed hardpoints and a low number at that, average maneuverability. That mech got it all. It's a pleasure to do half-way decent in that mech.

Edited by Bluttrunken, 28 February 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#88 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostBluttrunken, on 28 February 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

Vindicator. Low engine cap, low tonnage, horribly placed hardpoints and a low number at that, average maneuverability. That mech got it all. It's a pleasure to do half-way decent in that mech.

the St Ives Blues and one other are decent.

#89 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

I dont see any Kintaros, like, ever.

#90 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 28 February 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

the St Ives Blues and one other are decent.

The 1AA. It has a way higher engine cap and jumps 70 m but it has no armor or structure quirks on the torsos so you're pretty much done if you get caught out of position. By all accounts it's not great but that doesn't mean that I don't love and use it all the time. The Avenging Angel forever!

View PostTwilight Sentry, on 02 March 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

When I want lots of damage and an easy win, I run my Golden Boy. Chainfiring a Mad Cat to death with 5 LRM5s is not only fun, it also has a high chance of inducing a hate-filled rant over global chat! It's fun for the whole family!

#91 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Well, they are LRM-Mechs, so you shouldn´t see them.
Joke aside, they suffer from the same Disease as the Trebuchet: Why run an oversized medium mech for Lutming if you can sit in a Catapult or Maddog for a few tons more. Same mobility, more armor/firepower.

The Kintaro is not terrible per se I think.

#92 Bad Pun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Well, down here in Tier 4 I see a few Kintaros, lol.

Joking aside, I also agree that the Mist Lynx is one of the worst. I only bought it to save tonnage in a CW drop. Though, I didn't want to have a throwaway mech, so I tried to see what I can do with it. 2 C-LRM-5s and 3 C-ERMLs have worked for me. I get 150-200 ish damage on a good match as well as maybe a kill or two (but almost never are they solo kills). I'm certainly not even an average player.

The issues I have with the little guy is how easily your firepower can be stripped. The weapons are exclusively mounted on the arms, and they are huge (relatively). Also, it's slow. 113 KPH? Ehh, there's much better.

It's hard to play well, and I struggle to get good results. But dang it, I like the struggle sometimes!

#93 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

I'm surprised the SDR-5V isn't the winner by a landslide, or people just forgot how bad it is?

2 MPLas is literally the best you can put on it. Other than some superman fun with 12JJs, it really doesn't do anything

Some of the mechs mentioned here are just used wrongly.

VND-1X? You can run a Gauss with 2 backup MLas on it. Victors? Even if they're not what they used to be, Victors used to be meta mechs before the JJ nerf and Clan Mechs came out.

MLX, KFX? Sorry, anything that can run ECM automatically excludes them from the "worst" category

#94 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:33 AM

I'd be hard pressed to call most 'mechs actually bad. There are a number out there that are effectively worse versions of other 'mechs, though- such as the Golden Boy (which is a KTO-18 with a smaller engine cap and one of the two side torso missile hardpoints moved to the center torso).

I've found that Trebuchets are horribly hard to drive well, though. Thing's a sailboard and most variants are tough to load out with anything but SRMs without using an XL engine. Oh, also the ENF-4P, with the four ballistics in the arms. Granted, you can throw machine guns in there, use only one arm, or ignore them entirely, but at that point, why bother with it instead of taking a different ENF?

....yeah, from my perspective it mostly boils down to some 'mechs just doing what another 'mech (or variant) does, but worse or less efficiently in some way.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 11 March 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#95 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Vindicator. I've mastered every light 'mech in the game, and have a good stock of other 'mechs mastered as well and by far and wide the worst 'mech I have ever played was the Vindicator. I can do well in a Commando 1B for goodness sake and I just can't do squat with a Vindicator. And as far as I can tell, nobody else can either.

Edited by Mole, 11 March 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#96 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Gargoyle, Ice Ferret and of course Urbanmech are highly underated mechs, you just have to play them outside their class role. Play the Gargoyle as a close range shotgun/Ultra AC 20 Heavy. Play the Ferret like a light with 4 med pulse. Play the Urbs with 4 med pulse as strictly fire support and peaker for Assaults and slow heavies, hide beside 100 ton mechs who have legs that are the size of you, using them as a distraction/cover while you unload on the enemy.

Edited by Garfuncle, 22 March 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#97 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 11 March 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

I'm surprised the SDR-5V isn't the winner by a landslide, or people just forgot how bad it is?

2 MPLas is literally the best you can put on it. Other than some superman fun with 12JJs, it really doesn't do anything

And a good pilot will still put up 400+ in it. 5V is an adrenaline rush because you have to work. Lot of worse choices out there

#98 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

View PostVoivode, on 23 February 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

However, there are some mechs that I just haven't been able to make work. No matter what I tried, I couldn't make the Kit Fox work. I got so frustrated after a couple months of tinkering with them that I sold them off and bought the Adder (which I like quite a bit better). So my challenge to you is to prove me wrong. Get Kit Foxes and dominate the field with them!

KFXes are my primary mech :o Challenge accepted completed.

KFX-Prime 634 matches 360 wins 220k damage. Average damage per match = ~350.
KFX-D 169 matches 92 wins 72k damage. Average damage per match = ~425.

I forgo all ECM on this. 4x MPL on the Prime, else 1x ERPPC, TCOMP mk. V + 3x ERSL.
KFX-D is either SRM4x6 or ASRM4x4.

#99 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

For me, the Trebuchets. They look fragile, they feel fragile, and they are fragile. It was like sticking a scrawny 6 year old in an NFL offensive line. Your best defense is typing, "DON'T HIT ME!" in group chat.

I am against selling mechs, but I sold these after mastery.

#100 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostPodex, on 01 April 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

For me, the Trebuchets. They look fragile, they feel fragile, and they are fragile. It was like sticking a scrawny 6 year old in an NFL offensive line. Your best defense is typing, "DON'T HIT ME!" in group chat.

I am against selling mechs, but I sold these after mastery.

Trenchbuckets...yeah. I had a TBT-LG wayyyyy back, but I just couldn't stand it.

A Kit Fox has similar issues, but at least it's really squat and has huge gaps in its hitboxes. Trenchbucket? It's big and gangly. Huge arms, huge STs. Given how big the hitboxes are, it could probably spread damage well, but its vertical size makes sure that you're going to eat every last bit of damage thrown at you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users