• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

Here's a suggestion:

STK-5M

I like to mount the tag in the stalker's arms to get the high mount. You can have minimum exposure and still get your tag on target and rain.

The LRM 10s fit nicely into the stalker's missile tube layout. Everything fires in 1 or 2 salvos. Additionally, having all of the same missile types mean you can more efficiently use modules. In this case, I would use the LRM 10 cooldown module and the medium laser range module.

Because they are LRM 10s, I've dropped the artemis. From testing I've seen posted on the forums, artemis makes the biggest difference in spread on LRM 15 and 20.

300 engine gets you near top speed on this chassis.

16 heatsinks will come in handy when you have targets in the open and want to maintain constant LRM fire.

You are giving up long range lasers with this build. This layout focuses on providing indirect fire support. The med lasers are there for personal protection when the enemy closes. The reason I would go this way is because if you try to squeeze large lasers in and use them while firing missiles, you will lose a great deal of heat efficiency and overall DPS will drop. The only way you can get large lasers in and maintain enough heatsinks is to use an XL engine. This is generally not recommended for stalkers because their hitboxes provide great damage spread at the expense of the side torsos, making them ideal for standard engines.

Your current build will work if you're short on cbills. As an earlier poster pointed out, you're slow. At your current speed, you'll really need to be aware of positioning to keep from being left behind by your teammates.

You will have many opinions on the forums. Try a few layouts to see what works. Smurfy is your friend. Posted Image

Good Luck! The stalker is a great chassis.

Edited by Big Bertha 00, 15 December 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

You're welcome.

View PostArchang31, on 15 December 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

What's the greatest difference between ERLL's and LL's? Is it just range? That's the main reason I picked them up, was so that they would remain viable at missile range if I had line of sight.

Just the differences: ERLL produces 8 heat (over LL's 7) per use and has a beam time of 1.25 seconds opposed to LL's 1 second. Optimum ranges the ERLL goes to 675 while the LL reaches 450. ER LL stops doing any damage at 1,350 meters while the LL stops doing any damage at 900 meters.
The difference in beam times also gives the LL a slight DPS advantage of 0.12 damage per second greater than the ERLL in damage over time. That means in 15 seconds of continuous use, an ERLL would do 30 damage but an LL could do 31.8 damage.
That's before quirks.
Because of the shorter laser duration quirk, you'd actually get a better DPS out of both weapons than is "standard."

View PostArchang31, on 15 December 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Also on the subject of missiles, do I need to keep target lock with LRM's in order for them to hit? I've noticed that I often miss and they be to me locking on to targets only my allies can see. Still trying to learn the nuances of the game, as it is so involved but so very fun. Posted Image

Yes. By technicality Battletech standard LRMs have the at-most basic self-contained guidance package, this is to completely thwart all forms of electronic jamming.

MWO has, however, taken upon itself to combine standard LRMs with Artemis IV Fire Control System, Homing LRMs (NARC-compatible) and Semi-Guided LRMs (TAG Compatible) to create..."LRMs."
Semi-Guided and Artemis below
Spoiler

Effectively combining their traits, PGI created the "LRM."

Long story and nitpicking made short, the LRMs function on external input provided by you as the launcher. This means that you must personally maintain your lock. Though you can use positional data provided by allies of targets you cannot see and maintain your lock through them. ECM interceding between you and your missiles or the missiles and the target will have no effect. However ECM at your target will cause you to have an inability to lock without cutting through it using a TAG. ECM near you can also cause you to have an inability to lock at anything at all.

MWO's Artemis functions the same as regular LRMs but benefits from a tighter missile spread and more frequent course corrections. (12 corrections instead of 8). They also lock faster if you can see the target. They lose the missile spread and corrections if target is out of sight during the timing of those said corrections, and missiles tighten again if the sight is regained.

The only good trick to maintaining the locks yourself is you can lose it intentionally, wait, then reestablish in order to get missiles to blatantly turn corners at impossible angles!

#23 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostFamous, on 15 December 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

I leave the Artemis on because of the ASRM6 build and I hate paying to remove things that will be added back on later. Also OP has Artemis so trying to show him builds that won't cost him as much hopefully.

I usually only break out the LRM build when I need to post up high damage numbers for an event. SRM brawler is significantly more enjoyable to me.

makes sense... But then again i own a ton of mechs, and i have others that i go with ASRM6 builds.. Posted Image I like to find a build that works best for me on one mech, then leave it.. But then you end up with 50+ mechs, and no time to play um all... such a delema

But going from 24% cooling to 36% is so huge,, I wouldn't even bother running a mech with cooling that low.. unless you are nothing but a peak and poke alpha mech. Even LRM's just don't work well that low as LRM's are a weapon when you can launch um, you need to keep on launching them through a small window.. getting to fire an extra 20-40 missiles is a lot when it comes to them.

They also changed artemis from 750K to add, to only 250K, and i think half that to remove if i am not mistaken, so it's really only a drop or two to swap... you still keep the launchers, so swapping is not as bad as you think..

Then again this coming from the same guy that didn't add ENDO to my TDR-5ss, for 6 months just incase i wanted to swap back in an XL engine.. :P

(FYI, this is JC, I finally got a account to try clans! Yippy!)

Edited by CJ Daxion, 15 December 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#24 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:31 AM

Pretty much what everyone else said. Stalkers were my first mech that I Elited in the long, long ago.

Rule one: Go with a STD 300 to STD 310 engine. Anything smaller than that, you're going to get isolated and eaten alive by Light wolfpacks. Even if you're a long-range mech, you're better off hanging at the back of the pack than on your own; trust me on this - my favorite Light role is to see LRMs arcing in from some distant point where the enemy isn't, slipping up unseen, then hanging out within that 180m safe zone and picking them apart as they cry for their teammates.

Stalker's a fun mech, so start with the big standard engine (NEVER put an XL in one - they're called deathblimps for a reason), max out the armor everywhere (although you can reasonably lower the legs to 65 or even 60, but no lower than that). Put your energy weapons in the arms (helps with bouncy Lights), and think like a crocodile.

Rule two: think like a crocodile. So the Stalker takes a little finesse. It's a big mech and can boat like few other mechs in the game, but it's also HUGE from the side, so you need to be a little cautious. Keep your nose pointed at the enemy, use terrain, don't expose yourself. While good rules for any mech, it's especially true with Stalkers.

Rule three: build for fun, but... Early in the game? I'd say don't go to metamech.com - build something that works for you and your playstyle. This is a game and unless you're trying to be competitive right out of the gate (which I don't recommend), I'd say work on your basic skills. ALWAYS have a backup weapon for short range - when I see an LRM boat with nothing but a TAG, I drool.

Work on picking out weaker, damaged enemies, using your LRMs to suppress enemies and get them to run for cover so your team can advance, don't count on teammates to get locks for you - bring your own TAG if you're going to boat LRMs, don't panic when being swarmed by Lights.

You'll eventually go from "Yay! I hit the enemy!" to "Yay! I hit the enemy exactly where I wanted to!" When you hit that point? You're ready.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users