89 replies to this topic

#41 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Too early to tell if they're OP. It's only been a day. It takes time for people to learn a new chassis, especially in this case, where the mechs are radically different from existing mechs. Even when the Hellbringer was released (and CT hitbox fixed), it took a while for people to learn how to play it to the point where it became a recognized top tier mech. That didn't happen in one day.

#42 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 December 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Too early to tell if they're OP. It's only been a day. It takes time for people to learn a new chassis, especially in this case, where the mechs are radically different from existing mechs. Even when the Hellbringer was released (and CT hitbox fixed), it took a while for people to learn how to play it to the point where it became a recognized top tier mech. That didn't happen in one day.

All who had some game knowledge saw at least the potential of the HBR mech. Sure you are right, that it needs some adaptation to figure out what works on it. But that isn't the story of this mech in the big picture. And even today I can not decide which HBR Loadout i like to play the most 2UAC5+CERMLs, 2LPL+CERMLs/CERSLs or a CMPL HBR.

We know that the customization tends to fit in much more weapon power since you can adjust the engine on point to the loadout vs fitting a loadout to the engine as it was on clan side up untill now. So they bring a new deal to the table. And for this they are recognized since first day they were announced. If they are OP - well they have the potential to provoke at least some QQ.

#43 TIggerstYle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Ab, CA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

I'm gonna have to give it another day but so far these IIC mechs have been the biggest waste of money I've spent on this game, And i own every Major Pack. So far played a few matches in the Hunchy and Jenner but they are garbage, decent firepower but Paper Armor, Almost to the point I keep thinking something is bugged because the hunchback gets stripped almost instantly. And yes I have made sure to almost max my armor, not the crap amounts they start them with. These aren't even close to the IS counterpart durability.

#44 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

I just know that now we finally have all the Clan mechs from the battletech cartoon.

The most featured clan mechs there are the Timberwolf, the MadDog, the Hunchback IIC, and the Thor.

Those are the mechs that Starcommander Nikolai uses most often, and now we have them all..

#45 TIggerstYle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Ab, CA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:27 AM

Well he can Keep his Hunchback IIC, Think these are going to stay in the stable until the Quirks get released, Or i can put another 100 points of Armor at the cost of some firepower.

#46 sashar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

I never understood the appeal of the "zombie" mech.
You sacrifice speed,firepower,or cooling for what? Just so you can live a few more seconds longer, to fire that devastating alpha of three whole lasers? There should be no reason to take a clan std over a clan xl.

#47 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostTIggerstYle, on 16 December 2015 - 12:27 AM, said:

Well he can Keep his Hunchback IIC, Think these are going to stay in the stable until the Quirks get released, Or i can put another 100 points of Armor at the cost of some firepower.

So you left stock armour levels or expect it to tank like a heavy! What more do you need from the Hunchback IIC? I get 500 damage or more and im happy if i die.. is that not good enough for you? And the Jenner IIC is even more powerful. Love the hit and fade of the Oxide IIC and how many lights ive one shot so far and im still on basics. Im totally digging these mechs.

Edited by Ace Selin, 16 December 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#48 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:43 AM

Hunchback IIC. Double Ultra AC/20

Ho the things I can do with that guy! Still stock, managed with a few shot to destroy a Cataphract, the guy was MAD just like the Marauder right Next to it, Marauder who exploded my ST in a few seconds right after...

#49 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostChados, on 15 December 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

If they die easy, that offsets their ridonkulous firepower and thank goodness that they have an Achilles heel of some kind. If the IS has more staying power but less overall firepower, meaning they can hang against that wall of steel, then well enough. If, on the other hand, an alpha strike from one of these things is in one-shot zone for a Marauder 3R or King Crab carrying max armor, that's not okay.

Jenner IIC with 6 cSRM6 can 2 shot most assault mechs reliably. Assuming hit reg doesn't screw you of course.

Yeah yeah only 400 missiles and it's fragile (no quirks and hit reg actually works for once) and only cheeto speed and no JJ and you have to get within hugging distance. But... it's double the firepower of an oxide giving you 144 damage in 5 seconds. I have yet to see an assault pilot that can get out from under my guns that quick.

I've got the ammo to kill 3 or 4 assaults and if I can actually get 2 of them that's a won battle right there.

View Postsashar, on 16 December 2015 - 12:31 AM, said:

I never understood the appeal of the "zombie" mech.
You sacrifice speed,firepower,or cooling for what? Just so you can live a few more seconds longer, to fire that devastating alpha of three whole lasers? There should be no reason to take a clan std over a clan xl.

No that's a balance issue. There should be enough trade offs in the clan XL engine that there are some builds that will be better with a STD engine.

#50 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 16 December 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

No that's a balance issue. There should be enough trade offs in the clan XL engine that there are some builds that will be better with a STD engine.

While i agree, that has to come from buffing the STD engines (and the IS XL), because to nerf the C-XL such that a STD is a viable choice would quite literally remove most Omnis from the game - If there is a choice between XL and STD like there is for IS, it comes down to hitboxes, and almost all the Omnis have APPALLING XL hitboxes, but are stuck with XLs due to Omni rules.

#51 Rick Rollington

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:00 AM

So apparently you can fit 8.5 tons of ammo, and 6SRM6s, onto a 100kph JR7IIC.

#52 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 December 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Which you can also do with a Clan XL, while having more speed, firepower and cooling, and still having similar speed, firepower and cooling to an STD model after losing a side.

STD in a Clan mech is pretty literally pointless

There are some players that will never understand this no matter how many times it is typed.

#53 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 16 December 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

There is a place for a STD engine in a clan mech, it is if the loadout in one of the side torsos doesn't leave enough crit space for an XL engine to fit. That is it though. Other than that, don't use a STD enigne in a clan mech.

#54 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

Hunchie IIC (the laser one) in a pug CW drop last night:
2xLarge pusle lasers
6xSmall lasers

12 kills 2170dmg

Regarding durability, its not suposed to be tanky as IS version anyway, dont be a powercreep boys! lol

P.S: IS mechs are tanky as hell after the quirkening!

#55 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

View PostAnarcho, on 16 December 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

Hunchie IIC (the laser one) in a pug CW drop last night:
2xLarge pusle lasers
6xSmall lasers

12 kills 2170dmg

Regarding durability, its not suposed to be tanky as IS version anyway, dont be a powercreep boys! lol

P.S: IS mechs are tanky as hell after the quirkening!

I would have loved to see that game.

#56 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 December 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

There is a place for a STD engine in a clan mech, it is if the loadout in one of the side torsos doesn't leave enough crit space for an XL engine to fit. That is it though. Other than that, don't use a STD enigne in a clan mech.

Well yep. Heres an example

I haven't used it yet, but im tempted because its not possible to get 2 Gauss with that kinda convergence on any other mech, its pretty much impossible to hit 2 different components with them.

#57 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:00 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 16 December 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

Well yep. Heres an example

I haven't used it yet, but im tempted because its not possible to get 2 Gauss with that kinda convergence on any other mech, its pretty much impossible to hit 2 different components with them.

Yeah, like that lol.

#58 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:35 AM

i was thinking about buying one or two of them (probably the jenner since the cheetah got nerved).

About the durability of the hunchback:
It can carry 2 UAC10 or 2 UAC20 or 2 Gauss. That is for sure a hell of a glass cannon!
What do you think?
If i see them in the enemy team, i would probably try to kill them first.
Guess you gotta stay in cover with them.

What about the Orion? i tried a bit on smurfys... with an 350xl it is as fast as a timberwolf (81 unskilled) but also a max loadout of 37 tons! (which is more than a warhawk - even though the warhawk got a lot of fixed dhs).
Is it kind of... op?
You can get almost every possible loadout (2-4 energy or missile slots for lrm, brawling and LPL/ERLL boating and 2 Ballistic slots for some serious 2UAC10 + a few lasers...)
problem is probably just: It is the ugliest mech of all :D

#59 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

View PostTennex, on 15 December 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

I like how Clan Tech + IS customizability isn't as OP as some people feared

because the chassis and the hardpoints itself were always the true issue for imbalance, and TBR and CO just are by chassis an issue. Would the IS had such a chassis they would be equally problematic. Just think about a SCR in IS tech. wouldn't hurt that much less. MAD is a nie example how strong just the right chassis desing and hardpoints can do very well.

The IIC's seem to be fun by what their configs allow, yet I prefer mechs with chciken legs and arms. So I don't have much need for them by their design.

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 December 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#60 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 16 December 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

because the chassis and the hardpoints itself were always the true issue for imbalance, and TBR and CO just are by chassis an issue. Would the IS had such a chassis they would be equally problematic. Just think about a SCR in IS tech. wouldn't hurt that much less. MAD is a nie example how strong just the right chassis desing and hardpoints can do very well.

The IIC's seem to be fun by what their configs allow, yet I prefer mechs with chciken legs and arms. So I don't have much need for them by their design.

IS have FAR better Chassis when considering hitboxes (humanoid hitboxes are best, due to arm shielding) and hardpoint placement than Clans do. Find me ANY clan chassis that compares hardpoints and hitbox wise with any of these:

Banshee-3M
Battlemasters
Stalkers
Grasshoppers
Shadow Hawks (2K specifically)

Its the TECH that makes clans mechs more problematic, specifically the half size ES and FF, the C-XL and the 2 slot DHS. The Timberwolf has crap hitboxes and only average hardpoint locations (though very good hardpoint numbers)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users