- - - - -

Returning New Player Needs Help

5 replies to this topic

#1 PhoenixStorm

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

Hi all, I signed up for MWO but never played much, I wanted to get into it now , I did all the tutorials and I got about 4,500,00 credits and 1550 experience to use.

I enjoy a glass cannon play style, hit hard and at range with little defense.

I don't want to be in small mech but not a larger one either, I was thinking a medium or assault mech is for me.

I am just not sure what mech to buy, and what can do the most damage, (lasers, missile. ac etc)

I also want to know if I should stick with the free trial mechs for longer or when it would be time to actually buy and equip one?

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

Wellcome back.

What you are discribing is something that is hard to play in MWO.

Longrange heavy hitting ( I interprete this as direct fire frontload damage ) are factors removing all but 2 weapons from your list.
Gauss +PPC
Longrange is the problem. Most longrange weapons are more dps and less dph

There are not many mechs on IS side doing this well.
Jager Mech for just dual Gauss, maybe Catapult K2 but due to low weapons quite outdated with that setup.
Mauler does it well with dual Gauss and quad medium laser, KingCrab with dual Gauss and dual PPC
Black Knight with dual ERPPC
Some Battlemaster with dual PPC and Modules still firing one PPC every 1,2 secs

Maybe, just maybe, but its not realy heavy hitting, ER Large Laser could also work for you. There are some mechs with insane ERLLaser Quirks.

The glasscannon factor is something that comes by itself since you will be pretty much alone and therfore food for the lightpacks and quite unable to stand for yourself in a brawl.

4.5mio C-Bills are not enough money to even buy and equip a single light mech.
You will need around 10 to 15 million C-bills to buy and fully upgrade an IS Mech.
A Clanmech will come more costly initially but has less upgrade costs.

Could someone say something about Clanmechs?

Edited by The Basilisk, 16 December 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

Some ideas:
Roflpult.

Direstar

DireCow

Warhawk street sweeper.

Mimick on King Crab as well.

There's many others as well.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:38 AM

with regards to your requested play style the sort of Mech you suggested is a Light Mechs dream target if you go off on your own, so stick with, but to the rear of, the main group

the biggest Mechs are the assaults, you said you do not want the biggest Mechs but do want assaults, so it sounds like you got heavy and assault mixed up.

the way the weight scale works is 20-35 = light, 40-55=medium 60-75=heavy and 80-100=assault.
I assume you meant you want medium or heavy.

for IS The Basilisk already gave you a pretty good sumery,

as for Clans Mechs which may suit you are

Shadow Cat, one of its stock builds is a Gauss Rifle and 2 ER Medium lasers, that fits your requirements pretty well

Stormcrow, one of the most versatile Mechs in the game (if it had Jumpjets it would be the most), can run Gauss + PPC, or several ER Large Lasers for serious long rang fire support capabilities

if you want LRMs try the Mad Dog, probably the best missile Mech in the game, it is able to take 80 tubes of LRM (but if you want much ammo you will have to forgo armor)if you are that crazy, chain firing with 6 LRM5 is a highly effective build for it.

Ebon Jaguar, 65 ton heavy Mech, lots of high mounted hardpoints and the only Clan heavy with the tonnage to take 2 Gauss rifles, although you will have to strip a bit of armor to get adequate ammo

Helbringer, again 65 tons, the ECM omnipod from the Prime has some high mounted energy hardpoints, good for a few PPCs or ERLL, although the EBJ would be a better choice for that

Timber Wolf, arguably the best Mech in the game and I would not usualy recommend it to a beginner purely because most veteran players would target a timby before anything else, however it is a really versatile Mech, you can fit any weapon to it, it can jump meaning its low mounted hardpoints for everything except missiles are not so much of an issue.

for Clan assaults there are 2 which fit your requirements
Warhawk, able to mount a Gauss backed with a pair of PPCs for a good long range fire support platform.

Dire Wolf, the ultimate fire support platform, while it can pack a lot of armor it is very slow and sluggish, at close range most other Mechs are likely to destroy you with little trouble, but with max armor (19 tones) it still has 50 tones free space for weapons, it is capable of using 3 Gauss rifles, with adequate ammo (unfortunately you can not fire more that 2 Gauss at once), 2 Gauss and 2 ERPPC used to be a popular build for it. it is also capable of mounting up-to 15 lasers or up-to 6 smaller ballistic weapons.

#5 Kanya Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

Go Shadow Cat. You get ECM (to help you hide) and can take 2 PPCs or Gauss plus 2 er med.

You might also like the 3L Raven with 2 ER LL.

Or as another guy said up top, go dual gauss Jager.

(keep in mind if you're armor is too thin Artic Cheetahs and other lights will eat you up)

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostPhoenixStorm, on 16 December 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

Hi all, I signed up for MWO but never played much, I wanted to get into it now , I did all the tutorials and I got about 4,500,00 credits and 1550 experience to use.

sorry, I should have said this earlier, your first 25 games get you I think something like 12 millilon cbills, so after the tutorial and first 25 you can afford one of almost any Mech.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users