#1 Ron Kramer

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGrand rapids

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

I have the Gauss Rifle on group2 with a med laser. To fire the Rifle, I have to HOLD the mouse button (2) down? and double click? or release at a specific time to get it to fire?

Is that normal? if so - what is the proper hold and release? Sometimes I need to hold until the yellow bar charges up then release at peak - or double click at peak?

seems distracting. Do I have something configured in the mech wrong?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

to fire the Gauss Rifle, hold down the fire button for 0.75 seconds to "charge" the rifle, there is a bar which goes red in the bottom right of the screen, then release to fire, if you have not fired in 1.25 seconds you "loose the charge"

you release to fire, this is normal for that weapon.

the double click would work because you have to release to double click

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 December 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#3 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

You have to charge and release. You will see that the bar fills and then turns green. That is when you have to release the trigger. As a 'compensation' the weapon allows you to hold the charge for about a second. After that it is instantly decharged which means you did not fire. You can make use of that if the target has gone behind cover so you dont waste ammunition in that case.

The charge mechanism makes the weapon a bit tricky to use. I would recommend you to not group it up with other weapons and start by trying to hit slower and bigger mechs simply to get used to the charge. A nice little trick to get the charge timing right is to use all six weapon groups in the following way. Let's assume you play the trial shadow-cat with one gauss rifle and 2 medium lasers. You bind both lasers to the first weapon group. Then you bind the gauss rifle to all other weapon groups. Now you will notice that when you charge the gauss there is a little rectangle for each weapon group beneath you cross hair. By using all the weapon groups your crosshair will be surrounded by little rectangles which all turn from yellow to green when the charge is finished. This way you do not have to look down to the weapon screen to get the timing right and can keep your eyes on the target.

Good luck.

#4 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hold the mouse button down, you will hear it charge up, point at target then release..if you hold it down for to long it will reset which is useful if you a notice a moron friendly about to walk in front of your fire

Edited by Czarr, 16 December 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#5 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

This one is all on you, PGI

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:14 AM

It's not a big deal once you get the hang of it. FWIW, don't macro it to auto-fire after delay. You have much more control and precision getting to choose when in that second window you actually let the slug fly.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

View PostRon Kramer, on 16 December 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

I have the Gauss Rifle on group2 with a med laser. To fire the Rifle, I have to HOLD the mouse button (2) down?

Demonstration of Gauss usage.
Triple Gauss (to give you an idea of why triple gauss doesn't work anymore)
Spoiler

Area of Denial Dire Cow

A more practical Gauss setup, even if the most impractical method of gauss combat (as Gauss Rifles are meant for sniping not brawling).

Edited by Koniving, 16 December 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#8 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

god what happened to this game. the gauss is basically unplayable. why do i have to google how to fire a weapon

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostHaniwa, on 14 December 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

god what happened to this game. the gauss is basically unplayable.

Gauss is one of the strongest weapons in the game...

Hardly "unplayable".

#10 Hammer Hand

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

with practice it is an exceptional system. It has been charge and release for many years.

#11 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:55 AM

Got changed because every man and his dog wielded them back in the day
Other auto cannons weren't used much at all and were poor in comparison to what was effectively then a heavy ac15 with the range of an AC2 and heat of 1

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 December 2019 - 05:56 AM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 14 December 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

god what happened to this game. the gauss is basically unplayable. why do i have to google how to fire a weapon

Even though tis a necro thread the poster had one good point, and that is other than dropping into combat there isn't any description type/notice that GR needs to be charged before being fired. Same with IS LRMS not listing it has a 180 min range. At least the IS PPCs weapons with the 90m min range are noted.

#13 Skulll Leader

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

Charging the GR is total crap and worthless! Meanwhile missle and laser boats run amuck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users