I Don't Like This Hero-Exclusive Ecm Stuff.

284 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

I don't like how we have more Mechs coming out where the Hero is the only version that has ECM. I think many of us will agree that ECM is still worth more than 1.5 tons, so giving only the Heo Mech ECM without assigning any significant drawbacks makes me unsettled.

I think that Mech chassis that offer an ECM Hero should also offer a ECM Standard Variant. So, instead of just the Archer Tempest getting ECM, one of the standard variants should also get ECM.

Do others feel this way, too?

#2 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

Its a realy unjusual desission from PGI. Lets hope they change it.

The clear Line, Heroes are more worse then the ususal Stuff, brougth them much credit.

#3 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

Steam changed all that..

Was kind of bleedin obvious, it was going to happen

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 December 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

I don't like how we have more Mechs coming out where the Hero is the only version that has ECM. I think many of us will agree that ECM is still worth more than 1.5 tons, so giving only the Heo Mech ECM without assigning any significant drawbacks makes me unsettled.

I think that Mech chassis that offer an ECM Hero should also offer a ECM Standard Variant. So, instead of just the Archer Tempest getting ECM, one of the standard variants should also get ECM.

So we need another lolcust then too with ECM

View PostCathy, on 16 December 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Steam changed all that..

Was kind of bleedin obvious, it was going to happen

What exactly is the obvious change? Now they can be p2w?

Do you own any IIC's?

#5 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

I don't give a flying ****. That Archer will likely have poor quirks, making it not the most obvious option (it already is not ideal if you want to use LRMs).

Like really, if you want a competitive ECM heavy for free, get the Hellbringer.

Also consider that by March when this thing comes out, ECM might look very different than it does today.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 December 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Eh... let's wait and see how it turns out. Personally I think some existing IS heros would benefit greatly from having ECM added. The Hugin and oxide come to mind post Jenner IIC.

#7 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Well fair enough
but the grand total is now 2...
plus it's suposed to be the "ghost mech" or w/e

There are plenty of ECM mechs available anow that it's not like the old days when only 2 mechs could have ECM. Not a big deal now f a mech has ECM or not.. plenty of other ecm options, at least 1 in every weight class on both sides if I am correct

I get why people don't like it but personally, not a big deal

#8 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

I can see where you're coming from. because I can feel it with the pre-order Origins pack is this way with the JR-IIC-A being my best one, and everyone I know that has the HGN-IIC-C says it's by far their favorite.

But I bought a Peanut Butter locust and it has ECM. But I like 1E far more.

I don't really feel like ECM is the game changer it once was, I don't even run it on my ACH any more as I prefer the second torso energy hard-point to the ECM, especially since it only has a 90m range now.

But at the same time, we have the Bounty Hunter with a gimped engine cap which is a huge turn-off for me. I have a Pretty Baby that I don't need to go into details with.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 16 December 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

Do you own any IIC's?
At least they left the IIC Mechs unquirked so they can be in the same league as heavily-quirked IS equivalents.

But the Tempest ECM Archer? I don't like that the others have no ECM. That arguably places Tempest in a higher Tier.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 16 December 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

I don't think it's an issue with this mech, and ECM has been nerfed into the ground (thankfully) anyway. And it's not like the battlefield is rampant with OP heavy mechs combining missiles and lasers, as far as I can tell. If it was a Thunderbolt hero mech with ECM, it would be a different story.

#11 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

I'm bit wary, but I suspect it'll be like the Bounty Hunter in that it'll be quirked in a way that it won't total OP beast people are fearing and more an interesting side-line.

#12 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 December 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

At least they left the IIC Mechs unquirked so they can be in the same league as heavily-quirked IS equivalents.

But the Tempest ECM Archer? I don't like that if the others have no ECM. That arguably places Tempest in a higher Tier.

It won't be higher than the free Hellbringer though, so meh.

Like I said, quirks are a thing, the other Archers will obviously have superior quirks due to not having ECM, and one has 9 missile hardpoints... thats insane.

Like Johan said, the Locust 1E is definitely better than the PB, despite it having ECM.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 December 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

ECM is not a big deal. 90M ECM even less so.

Meh.

#14 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

If all you have to make money on is mechs, this is what happens.

#15 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

I am sort of ambivalent on it. For a Hero here and there to have something 'special' isn't really a problem. If they start a trend of 'gotta buy the Hero to get X', then yes, a lot of PGI's goodwill will evaporate pretty quickly.

As far as pricing goes (since you have to pay to get it), I don't in general like most games pricing structure, and I personally feel that PGI's typical pricing structures are even worse than most games.

That being said, everything I have purchased in MWO has been a pre-order bonus package, and I feel those have always given me good value for my dollar.

Looking at the Archer pack, early adopter basic pack for $20 plus Hero for another $15 seems to deliver quite a lot of value.

I'll wait and see before I make a call on this, but so far I'm not too troubled by it.

#16 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostCycKath, on 16 December 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'm bit wary, but I suspect it'll be like the Bounty Hunter in that it'll be quirked in a way that it won't total OP beast people are fearing and more an interesting side-line.
. I'm not concerned about it being OP on the field, just more powerful than the standard Archers.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

Sorry, can0t agree.

As long as there are COMPARABLE mechs available free? It's a non issue. It's idiotic to claim it has to be a carbon copy chassis with ecm to avoid P2W.

YOu have an ECM Cataphract and the Hellbringer, both free, packing ECM in the heavy class.

Back when only a handful of chassis had it? One MIGHT have had a valid argument. Now? No.

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 December 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

If all you have to make money on is mechs, this is what happens.

Whether you like f2p or not, that is the concept here.

So, aside from cosmetic items and premium boost what else should they charge for? Maps Posted Image ?

You're not the "thinking before typing" sort are you? Posted Image

Edited by cSand, 16 December 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#19 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

Just wait until they actually fix ecm, then it will be decidedly the worst variant.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 December 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

. I'm not concerned about it being OP on the field, just more powerful than the standard Archers.

Frankly, as long as it is not OP in the field, there is no legitimate objective concern about it being "P2W". I can already tell right now that it isn't going to be unilaterally better than the other Archers at all roles. The rest will depend on quirks.

I'm really not worried.

View PostcSand, on 16 December 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Whether you like f2p or not, that is the concept here.

So, aside from cosmetic items and premium boost what else should they charge for? Maps Posted Image ?

You're not the "thinking before typing" sort are you? Posted Image

It was a PGI bashing post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users