Monitor 4K And 3440X1440(21:9)

29 replies to this topic

#21 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

Just read the links you provided, Goose, but their arguments (while applicable for some FPS games like CS:GO), aren't exactly major dealbreakers -- especially for most casual or even devoted gamers (I deliberately left out "pro/hardcore gamers"). I say this as a user of a 42" 4K TV, and also as a user of a MSI 17" IPS G-Sync gaming laptop. Been playing MWO and some other shooters with few issues. Sure, I may miss some kills here and there, but the immersive screen size is a very nice way to enjoy the game (I sit about 2 feet away from my screen).

As it is, I spend most of my time making full use of the 42" screen for work (I work remotely, at home, a good amount of the time). It's great being able to have multiple windows in a grid format available, and multiple visible tabs, as well.

Also, I don't exclusively play shooters (if anything, I've been playing more strategy and role-play games as of late). The massive real estate is a nice plus, especially in hybrid FPS/RPG games like Fallout 4.

At this point in the game, I'm definitely a casual gamer (a long way from my raiding days in WoW 8 years back).

I'd still definitely recommend a 4K TV for the casual/enthusiast gamer who simply wants a nice budget option for a nice resolution and massive real estate. Pro/hardcore gamers should look elsewhere -- there are plenty of good FreeSync/G-Sync monitors to be had.

Edited by Rykiel, 16 November 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#22 Fatbat

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCosta del Sol, Spain

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Still no 4K support after more than a year of asking for it. This is ridiculous.

#23 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

4k is dead, 8k is where it's at.

#24 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 19 December 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

The game supports any resolution natively, that's from the engine
But the UI does not scale
I tried DSR with my GTX and couldn't see a thing any more Posted Image

What you could do is play in a window with lower resolution
Like 2560x1080, still 21:9

I dont think thats 100% accurate, the Crosshair and stuff seem to stay equally sized, which is still a UI component.

Not sure about the rest of the in-game UI tho.

If you look at games like War Thunder the Crosshair literally decreased two fold, which makes the game unplayable..

Agreed its sad how half the games still dont support UI scaling, its pretty apparent resolutions are going up and up. Its pathetic to build a game around a single res, in MWO's case probably optimized for 1920x1080.

Edited by M T, 07 January 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#25 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

View PostM T, on 07 January 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

I dont think thats 100% accurate, the Crosshair and stuff seem to stay equally sized, which is still a UI component.

Not sure about the rest of the in-game UI tho.

If you look at games like War Thunder the Crosshair literally decreased two fold, which makes the game unplayable..

Agreed its sad how half the games still dont support UI scaling, its pretty apparent resolutions are going up and up. Its pathetic to build a game around a single res, in MWO's case probably optimized for 1920x1080.

If you want to be technical I guess you're right

Let's say it like this

Menu buttons and the like become smaller

Edited by Peter2k, 08 January 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#26 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 November 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Fulscreen or window

If it's full screen still then I have usually better results image quality wise to let the gpu do the conversion instead of the display

I think you had a Nvidia
So under the Nvidia settings for resolutions/display I think (me thinks where you can set custom resolution pofiles)

It Is fullscreen, yes.

And actually I just do it via the settings in the game. I keep my resolution at the full 3840x2160.

#27 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 04 May 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

The thing with UI scaling is that it isn't some ridiculously hard to implement, unicorn-level feature. It's standard and has been for years. PGI is the only developer I've ever heard say "yeah, we'll think about implementing that but it isn't important so it could be a very long time if we even bother to do it."

During their next town hall, people should HAMMER Russ about it repeatedly.

Amazingly this still has not been addressed in early 2017.

As for what you posted about it being not the hardest update to make to a piece of software: conceptually, at least, I agree, but would you believe even Adobe's Photoshop team has not done this yet? They have been getting seriously hammered about it on their community forums for years, and they just pay a couple of guys to stand there and deflect and say it's not a big deal. They must have to pay them a lot.

The one thing Adobe did, at least, for a quick fix -- and I mention this because maybe PGI could give us the same, without having to undertake major codebase revisions? -- is they implemented a "scale my UI at 200%" option. There are no choices in between (or at least there weren't for a couple of years, maybe by now they worked out a 125/150/200% option). Finally we were able to use Photoshop on 4K monitors and actually see the controls again.

This was annoying as heck for a game, but for professional photographers it was life and death, and the #1 software provider in the industry just sat back and laughed at us. And they still are. It's... weird.

#28 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostGalaxie 500, on 17 January 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Amazingly this still has not been addressed in early 2017.

As for what you posted about it being not the hardest update to make to a piece of software: conceptually, at least, I agree, but would you believe even Adobe's Photoshop team has not done this yet? They have been getting seriously hammered about it on their community forums for years, and they just pay a couple of guys to stand there and deflect and say it's not a big deal. They must have to pay them a lot.

The one thing Adobe did, at least, for a quick fix -- and I mention this because maybe PGI could give us the same, without having to undertake major codebase revisions? -- is they implemented a "scale my UI at 200%" option. There are no choices in between (or at least there weren't for a couple of years, maybe by now they worked out a 125/150/200% option). Finally we were able to use Photoshop on 4K monitors and actually see the controls again.

This was annoying as heck for a game, but for professional photographers it was life and death, and the #1 software provider in the industry just sat back and laughed at us. And they still are. It's... weird.

Amazingly this is still not addressed in 2018.

Should have checked the forums before I re-downloaded this game. :(

#29 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:46 AM

One may still hope in 2019 for 4K UI scaling...

I'd be a shame if MW5:mercs didn't have it to boot.

#30 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:08 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 09 May 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

One may still hope in 2019 for 4K UI scaling...

I'd be a shame if MW5:mercs didn't have it to boot.

4K res UI support confirmed for MW5:mercs! :D :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users