19 replies to this topic

#1 Airanthus

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hello everyone,

[Insert_epicmusic.mp4] Once again I am in need of your guidance and wisdom [end_epicmusic.mp4]
I was in need of an assault mech so I bought a Battlemaster. the 3M and 1S variants
on the 1S i run 4 ERLlas whilst on the 3M I run 3 Llas and 1 Gauss. Are those things even remotely viable? If no can anyone suggest anything?
What should be the last variant to get?

#2 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

The 1S is a sniper mech due to it's long range quirks and is honestly only good for CW. You have the right build for it just it's really a sniper mech. The 3M was my favorite until I got the 1G and with that I run 5 to 6 Large lasers. It's hot but I like to switch back and forth half on cycle and the other half without. The 1G has actually become my favorite mech besides my TDR-5SS. The Battlemaster came alive once they were mastered.

#3 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:07 AM

The 2c is a powerhouse now. I am leveling one with a 5 LL setup. It is very, very good.

Edited by MerryIguana, 20 December 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#4 Bruce13F4O

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIN OKLAHOMA

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

Those builds will probably work to begin with. You may find that they run way to hot to be effective at closer ranges. Or cause you to overheat which could get you killed during the shut down. I'll get flamed for saying this but on your 3M i'd cut off one of your Larger Lasers an SRM6 to swat at the light mechs. For the 1S i'd switch two of those ER Large lasers to standard Large Lasers, conserve heat and prevent the shut down. Depending on how you have your mouse set up, you could keep them grouped together in pairs and then have all four keyed to one button. Just be careful with it. Good Luck

1s - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66500f3f80131bb

Edited by Bruce13F4O, 21 December 2015 - 05:07 PM.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

try this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...523d0508971c82b
make sure to guard your XL engine with your arm shields. moves fast and works well when skill tree is mastered. once mastered, you have 3 good alphas before you risk over heating. from there you can either chain fire the lasers while going depending mostly on your AC'5s or you can just cool shot and alpha a couple more times and rip into someone. surprisingly enough, because the arms are so large, I dont get XL'd so much. still, the next build is much safer to use...

more tanky version (with more heat problems): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8081d140ce2b163
its a bit slower, but runs a std engine. you can replace the LL with ERLL (or remove some heatsinks for a PPC)- this build gets hot because you do not have ballistics to cool down with. this build can zombie for a long time, since your main armament is the torso mounted medium lasers.

in both builds the 6 medium lasers can really pack a punch. but run really hot, so make sure you have an extra weapon grouping for chain fire.

#6 Airanthus

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

thanks for the replies!

I don't like the idea of running an XL on an assault though, I feel it's too slow to dodge anything and too fragile in an XL

Edited by Airanthus, 22 December 2015 - 02:12 AM.

#7 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostAiranthus, on 22 December 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

thanks for the replies!

I don't like the idea of running an XL on an assault though, I feel it's too slow to dodge anything and too fragile in an XL

Right now I'm sitting at over 700,000 XP for my BLR-3M.

It is my favorite mech bar none. Best mech introduced, every other mech is just a pale imitation of how awesome it is!

Heh, anyways.. hyperbole aside, you should be running a XL engine in your BLR, especially if it is a 3M.

I can run a STD350 in my 3M with ferros and endo, 4 ML's, 2 LPL and a gauss with 2 tons of ammo but the heat management is terrible - only like 1.08 or something like that.. doesn't work for something so laser focused.

Running a XL350 with only endo means you can still fit the 4ML, 2LPL, gauss with an extra ton of ammo PLUS three additional DHS's on the outside which provides 1.21 heat management. Might not seem like a huge difference but with the %15 faster laser firing you'll need every % of heat management you can squeeze outta it.

XL350 with speed tweak means your going 71.7KPH. Pretty solid speed for an Assault. The best part is the torso twist. Big XLy engines might be a death trap for your torso, but they tend to allow you to do the twist faster and with greater range; combined this with your speed and you'll be surprising alot of people with how fast you move and twist.

Now if your like me and you want to mount the Gauss, 2 LPL and 4MLs then you'll have to realize you are not a brawling mech; you lack any sort of splash/fast firing weapons to try and hang in there. What you do have is weapons capable of pinpoint damage with a rather short recharge time.. you'll generally puke out two laser alphas before you fire your second gauss round. Anyways, this is where the torso twisting comes into play (and the decreased burn time for the Medium Lasers shows how amazing it is) since you can pretty much Alpha whoever your aiming at then turn your torso in less then 3/4 of a second (LPL's burn at 0.603 seconds and ML's at 0.72 seconds with their respective quirks) to spread the damage out, then turn to fire, run away, repeat.

Medium Pulse lasers make no sense on a 3M. Twice as heavy for only 1 more point of damage and extremely less range. Get the range module for Medium Lasers and they'll have a minimum range of 351m! Get the range module for Large Pulse Lasers and its like 432m minimum! So make sure to abuse the increased range of both and don't fight within 351m so you can effectively nerf SRMs, AC20s and such. Just, uh.. make sure your side torso's are not targeted :P

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

I would suggest reverting your 1S to a LRM configuration for solo drops as it will net you more money. The sniper role in which it excels generally occurs on certain maps in CW.

Your wasting the potential of your 3M. That many energy hardpoints begs for boating lasers.

There is no "wrong" Battlemaster loadout. Your choice of weapons greatly depends on your engines and the available free mass for weapons. The Battlemaster can easily use any engine in the 300-400 range be it standard or XL.

For a third variant I highly recommend the 2C. It works well with the stock engine. I run a mixed range energy loadout with dual AMS.

Edited by Spheroid, 26 December 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#9 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

thanks for the replies!

On the contrary, the SPEED will open up new dimensions on that mech. The battlemaster is still quite XL friendly. The ct can take lots and those arms with high shoulders can soak up lots of damage. The 2C should really be looked at. Endo, XL 375, 2 ams, 2 med pulse, 3 large pulse, 20 total DHS. It has like 4 extra tonns of internal armor, runs at 76kph, has twist and accel, decel buffs! It can really put up some numbers.

#10 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Or you could go with the 2C in a standard 350, 2 ams(1 ton ammo), endo, ferro, 2 large pulse, 3 med pulse, 17 dhs. It still goes 71 kph, and is VERY tanky.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

Just gonna hop in here, because I've had a BLR-1G(P) collecting dust for a LONG time. Finally broke it out for CW when the team moved to a FRR contract recently, and it's been fairly impressive. But I don't think I have the best build happening right now. STILL, it's full BASIC at the moment, and I (like an idiot) sold the other two that I got with the Overlord/Phoenix thing. SO, I have to go back and buy a couple.

Pretty sure the -2C is the second one. As for a third BLR, I'm wondering what everyone thinks. I don't want to do LRMs, but an SRM brawler isn't out of the question...

Edited by TheRAbbi, 02 January 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#12 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

Srm brawler is the 1S or 3S either will do.

#13 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

On the 1S a build ive used is std 350, 15 dhs, endo , ferro, 4 srm 4, 4 med pulse, ams (1 ton ammo) , 6 tons of srm ammo. Very tanky, great up close.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

So, I kinda took to running the -1S instead as a LPL poke mech. The range quirk makes those things reach out to LL ranges, and on some CW maps that's pretty sweet.

Running the -2C as my brawler-ish assault, with 5x MPL and 2x ASRM-6. Not the GREATEST alpha, but it can dump that a couple of times without overheating, and the quirks are good enough.

Doing the ERLLs on my -1G(P). MIGHT switch those over to the -1S, though, for even LONGER RANGED FUN! Optimal range gets like 900+ on that thing with the ERLL range module, IIRC. That's messing-up paint at over a mile! But still, the BLARGH! runs 5 of 'em, and cool enough that I'm alright taking it on Hellebore Springs (the CW Canyon Network, I call it). Just don't alpha strike!

Huh. Been 9 days, and I've gotten the -1G(P) through ELITE, and the -1S and -2C through BASIC. Been FUN! I finally like an assault mech well enough to NOT dread having to drive it!

#15 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Beefy Xls, 2-3 LPL, and Med laser of various type combos are your friend. Quad ERLL or Quad LpL also works for the long range variant.

I wouldn't bother with the ballistic mount given what you get for the tonnage, though I have ran a pair of SRM6's from time to time on the 2C for kicks on fairly hot builds.

The 2C was one of my favorite mechs on release and post rebalance and still manages to be after along with the 1S and 1G. I actually really like the hero variant as well; the Hellslinger it's lovely on hot maps even as an energy boat and is fairly unique in that regard. I played them so much (especially in CW previously on the IS side as a loyalist) though I've moved on to pet projects and levelling up mechs that don't need the XP in them.

I'm honestly not a fan of using STD engines in them; it feels like I'd be better off using a Stalker at that point given just how crazy XL friendly (and -fast- for an Assault, not to mention responsive Torso Twist wise) the Battlemasters are are. Everyone said "never put an Xl in any assault". BS, no really, BS. The craziness you can do with the Battlemaster was more than well worth it on my end.

I'd use the STDs here and there for variety until you get used to them and shielding with their arms, but I got them specifically because they were one of the few Assaults on the IS side that did XL very well (and they only do it better now despite the mobility hits that came down the pipe all around with even better survivability).

The big XLs also let you cram the DHS in like no tomorrow allowing for bigger punch yet fairly cool builds without much issue, and it's a fairly unique experience to be zipping around in an Assault with a solid punch and Heavy mech speeds vs the usual "walking through tar" experience you get with most others. At least either engine type, you're not really getting pooched, which few mechs can say.

It's obscene how slick they are with a big engine in them. The huge gorilla arms are -excellent- damage shields.

#16 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:41 AM

You guys are talking about all kinds of different battlemasters. If someone were to buy just 3, which ones should it be!

#17 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

2C, 1G, 1S would be my suggestions for C-bills. 3M as a 1S alternative (say goodbye to over-ranged IS ERLL soon anyhow) if you want to do a KABOOMWUB of srms and wubs on a std engine (which it does -very- well, though it has been a bit since I used/looked at it again).

Otherwise I'd grab the Slinger, 2C and 1G if you're willing to grab a real dollar mech, because, you know, running cooler on Vitric/Terra Therma instead of hotter is nice (plus, nice camo) for variety and drop deck substitutions.

Or, just wait until they select a Battlemaster Champion, (likely the 2c, but never know), and grab the mech bundle when it's finally released with the Hellslinger. Though odds are they'll likely gimp the third choice as one of the less optimal Battlemaster builds.

#18 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

thanks for the replies!

The thing is that in certain heavies and assaults, XL engines actually make them *more* survivable because of the faster torso twisting and movement that the larger engine size allows. The Battlemaster is an example of this for an assault, and the Grasshopper is the perfect example for a heavy.

Additionally it allows you to carry enough weapons to compete well. Think of it like this: instead of taking minimum weapons with a slow STD engine, or maximum weapons with an XL of similar rating, you take a sufficient amount of weapons with an XL of higher rating. That gives you both extra firepower and more speed, and in BLR the best way to survive getting hit is to twist fast enough to bring those giant gorilla arms into the path of the enemy shots.

Edited by grendeldog, 30 January 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostCryll Ankiseth, on 24 December 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

Big XLy engines might be a death trap for your torso, but they tend to allow you to do the twist faster and with greater range; combined this with your speed and you'll be surprising alot of people with how fast you move and twist.

Engine size has nothing to do with your twist range - unless you're talking about turn speed?

#20 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:34 AM

3M,stock engine,endosteel and 6 ml 2 lpl,good range,heat management,speed and damage for an assault

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users