Gauss urbie.

#2 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:03 AM

Almost anything built by me qualifies as unconventional, i remember the ridicule i faced in matches when i fronted at the controls of a twin uac yenlo lol.

Or my raven with srm4 in the nark port ( they spoiled that fun with the launcher update, i swas so angry about that ) and medium lasers, back then the two weapons had roughly the same duration and recycle so with ecm it made a good sneaky fast close range striker for back stabbing, the ecm and derp module made for good clean getaways after their attention had been acquired. ..

Edited by sneeking, 23 December 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#3 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

My CERPPC,CERML and 2xSSRM6 Shadowcat Prime is fairly non-standard and generalist.

#4 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:18 AM

View PostNephyrisX, on 23 December 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

My CERPPC,CERML and 2xSSRM6 Shadowcat Prime is fairly non-standard and generalist.

When I ask "how do you cool that?" Im assuming you would say, "I dont" or, "coolshots"

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:18 AM

A couple Catapult K2s for you...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b8dc5f7381df91

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f58cbfe79bec164

P.S. Forgot to reassign armor in the first one, but it works even after armor is tweaked

#6 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

View Postjaxjace, on 23 December 2015 - 03:18 AM, said:

When I ask "how do you cool that?" Im assuming you would say, "I dont" or, "coolshots"

Funny enough, I don't use consumables since ever. I play the SHC as a raider or sniper, so heat issues are somewhat mitigated.

SSR6s are to deal with pesky lights.

Edited by NephyrisX, 23 December 2015 - 03:32 AM.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:39 AM

One I've seen used VERY successfully by a skilled pilot: LCT-1V, XL190, ERLL. Funny, it'll stay really cool (ALMOST neutral on normal maps) with even single heat sinks, even for a beginner. The quirks on that chassis make that laser do WORK, yo.

Used to have a JR7-F with 4x SPL, Flamer, TAG. The concept? Run up to enemy heavy/assault fatty mech. Circle. Spam flamer to obscure vision. Spam TAG for LRM boat support. Cycle SPLs for DMG and assists. Repeat as often as possible. I think it may also have had BAP, but I'm not sure. LRMs were more vicious when last I used that mech, and I was never really a good enough pilot to make it work well. But it was fun, and sometimes pretty funny.

#8 FanTheManButSecretlyAwoman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:41 AM

Catapult CPLT-A1
1xLRM15+1xLRM10 and 4x Streak SRM2
lock on long range and lock on short range.

Awesome AWS-8R
2xLRM15's + 2xLRM10's + 3 M Pulse lasers
got 8,5 ton of ammo, shoots 50 rockets :)

#9 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostNephyrisX, on 23 December 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

The CERML is literally pointless in that build, it has zero synergy with the ERPPC (different aim points due to hitscan vs projectile speed, different firing profiles in snap shot vs beam duration, different operation ranges). You never, ever want to fire the C-ERML because if fired with the PPC it removes the advantage of the PPC being able to snapshoot - which is the PPCs only advantage over the LPL - and you never want to fire the C-ERML by itself as there is no time when its worth exposing the squishy cat for 1.15 seconds to do 7 dmg. Seriously, remove it for a heatsink or ton of SSRM ammo.

#10 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:45 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 23 December 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

The CERML is literally pointless in that build, it has zero synergy with the ERPPC (different aim points due to hitscan vs projectile speed, different firing profiles in snap shot vs beam duration, different operation ranges). You never, ever want to fire the C-ERML because if fired with the PPC it removes the advantage of the PPC being able to snapshoot - which is the PPCs only advantage over the LPL - and you never want to fire the C-ERML by itself as there is no time when its worth exposing the squishy cat for 1.15 seconds to do 7 dmg. Seriously, remove it for a heatsink or ton of SSRM ammo.

The problem with these posts (with good advice) in these kind of topics is that you will often get an almost standard reply. "It works for me", " It is unconventional", "The X has a use for when Y happens" etc. These replies can give genuinely good unconventional builds a bad reputation.

#11 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:48 AM

C-UAC20 Adder. Weeeeee!!

#12 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

AS7-D-DC

Mix breed atlas. A lot of people hate seeing lrms on an assault mech, they think that an assault should be at the head of the spear. I agree, but usually what that means is taking damage because your team also forgets to shoot back and cover the moving force. So by adding 25 lrm tubes I pin down enemy mech into cover. I have a long range weapon I can use when my close range weapons are not in range, and for those moments when your scouts need cover to get away I can provide cover because I know I am to slow to get there any faster.

Yes this is an Atlas with lrm, but it also has the AC20 and 2 Medium Lasers.

I also build the Atlas S with 20 tubes of lrms 4 mediums and Ac20 for the same purpose.

Edited by clownwarlord, 23 December 2015 - 04:52 AM.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:54 AM

Posted Image Posted Image
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64e5c9ffa4435f5

#14 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

Lol, using a panther seems unconventional in itself right now.

Not sure why the hate for the little fellow ?

2 LL 1 nark one jj arty uav and obvious modules to be expected, died in canyon conquest with low dmg low score but baited em in with a cap attempt then ran about narking and slashing with LL to keep all eyes on me...

I die we win and much lrm easy mode rage ensues....

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

The way I see it, a build becomes interesting the moment it works well. If it is also unconventional or introduces something new then it is of course even more interesting.

It all hinges on the "works well" part though, there is nothing interesting about a build if it isn't actually a very good build to bring in in at least one plausible situation. You don't get away with throwing up random stuff and calling it "creative" just because it has a bunch of different weapons on it or something, and certainly not by simply building a mech objectively worse than it could be (like using ferro instead of endo), there's nothing innovative about mediocrity.

It's just like real life, you can "innovate" until your brain melts down but no one is going to care unless your innovation actually does something better than previous alternatives.

Real strategic innovations in games don't "go against the meta", they actually change the metagame.

That's not to say I don't like goofing around with casual hybrid builds and whatnot, I like it as much as the next guy. But everyone and their dog does that, I get tired of this being waved around like a giant penis. It becomes elevated to "thinking outside the box" and "creative tactics" the moment you provide evidence that it has substantial potential to outperform the reigning meta strategies, not before.

Edited by Sjorpha, 23 December 2015 - 05:17 AM.

#16 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:08 AM

View Postclownwarlord, on 23 December 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

AS7-D-DC

Mix breed atlas. A lot of people hate seeing lrms on an assault mech, they think that an assault should be at the head of the spear. I agree, but usually what that means is taking damage because your team also forgets to shoot back and cover the moving force. So by adding 25 lrm tubes I pin down enemy mech into cover. I have a long range weapon I can use when my close range weapons are not in range, and for those moments when your scouts need cover to get away I can provide cover because I know I am to slow to get there any faster.

Yes this is an Atlas with lrm, but it also has the AC20 and 2 Medium Lasers.

I also build the Atlas S with 20 tubes of lrms 4 mediums and Ac20 for the same purpose.

You are literally my favorite type of Atlas to go up against. Shine on you crazy diamond.

#17 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:14 AM

Jäger with 2xAC10+4xSRM2 and cooldown modules. Ridiculous and fun :D

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:18 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 23 December 2015 - 01:42 AM, said:

What I am looking for here is mechs that are not typical builds might run a xl when everyone says no xls. It could strip alot of armor to add rediculas alpha and dps or give double heat sinks for that icy cooling . Or it could just be a dam fun mech to harass people with streaks. So let me know your crazy or just fun is builds. Please make them Current I.S. mechs

AC20... RAVEN?

AC20 RAVEN!!!!

AC20 MOTHER FRACKING RAVEN!!!!

AC20 RAVEN IS BEST RAVEN!

#19 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

I have an unhealthy addiction to light mechs. That's about as anti-meta as they come, right?

Urbies:
Laser Pointer (okay, kind of meta, but it's an urbie)
Suppression Fire (yes. you can back dire wolves down off hills with this)

Panther:
Aww, you thought I had an XL (troll lol lol)

Adder:
Boom Badder (Basically a walking UAC20. At 100+ kph)

Enforcer:
I'm a Hunchie!!

#20 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:40 AM

I've got to say I do enjoy my Timber Wolf D Custom.

2x cERPPC
4x cSRM6
1x Active probe
1x TC Mk.I

Hot as all hell, but I do an average of 4 kills a game with an average damage score of 560.

This is also the build that got me the creating death achievement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users