43 replies to this topic

#21 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:02 AM

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

Seriously, what's with trying to dictate people's playstyles in a PUG?

If other players don't want to lock targets for you, than its their choice. Don't whine about it. From their perspective, you're also ruining their game by playing a subpar mech and having subpar skill until you're dependent on other players to get locks.

Likewise, don't whine about people playing LRM boats either. Its their freaking choice. Just as its your own choice not to get locks for them. If the team loses, than it loses. You can blame each other but the simple truth is that it is everyone's fault. Yes, EVERYONE. From players who won't get locks (actually understandable in the current meta) to those play a mech that is dependent on locks.

You want teamwork, go find a team and get into a group game.

If you're going to play in a PUG, than enjoy the chaos of PUGs - win or lose. Pick a mech that is more flexible and not depedent on others. If you must pick a 1-dimensional build, don't complain about the consequences. Its as much your own fault as it is the team.

Sheesh.

This right here is why I say quick play is where players go to learn bad habits for CW. Those of you wanting newbies to play a minimum number of games in quick play before letting them in CW take note. I'd rather have a newbie I can teach over trying to deprogram this crap.

#22 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

View PostSandpit, on 28 December 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

i know right? lol

Was I telling you how to play in that other thread? I told you that you can play anything you like. Just don't expect other people to have to play around your mech either.

Its a PUG. If you're entitled to play a mech that is less than optimal based on the current meta, other players are also entitled to do their own thing.

If everyone was really that focused on winning, than everyone would be in a meta-build (which doesn't include LRMs).

Since everyone is doing their own thing now (including yourself), why does it matter to you if others do their own thing?

Sorry if that hasn't been coming across clearly, but that was the entire point. I never at any point forbade you from playing a LRM Atlas (or you care to quote the post that I did).

#23 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:18 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 28 December 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

This right here is why I say quick play is where players go to learn bad habits for CW. Those of you wanting newbies to play a minimum number of games in quick play before letting them in CW take note. I'd rather have a newbie I can teach over trying to deprogram this crap.

Erm, did you miss that part where I say its a PUG game? Its not just about the locks and all that.

Where else am I going to play an urbie? People have been known to take stock builds into PUGs. Who are we to judge?

If I do decide to take up competitive play, I would be more inclined towards teamwork. Even in CW now, I will listen to instructions if someone decides to take the lead even if they're bad at it as I respect anyone who will step up to do the job.

You can say PUGs feed bad habits if you like, that's the case for all games. This game DOES have a separate queue for those who want more teamwork. Shouldn't you be taking a newbie under your wing in a group queue instead?

View PostZolaz, on 28 December 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

If you want locks, put a TAG on your mech. If you are a LRM boat you want to be near the warm gooey center of the deathball anyways. So when the lights come to kill you, someone can protect you.

As for the original poster ... bad pilots make bad decisions. Im sorry if you cant tell if you are good or not. More than likely you arent in the top 10% of players and can use some advice. If you are doing 500 to 1k damage normally and your average match score is 200+ all the time, you should be ok.

If you arent putting up numbers, maybe you should listen to the guys who do. But, you know, bad pilots make bad decisions.

I'm not interested in climbing up the ladder. I'm perfectly happy in Tier 3 thank you very much. The moment I see myself climbing towards Tier 2, I'm going to make a little effort to drop some rank.

I've said many times myself I'm not a great player. I just think I'm average. I can do 500+ dmg most of the time if I play a mech I'm good at, but I have this tendency to muck around in subpar mechs with the occasional subpar build that I just happen to enjoy. Even so, my win/loss ratio is still positive and I'm slowly climbing up. I'm not near tier 2 yet though because I mostly play only during events. I consider this to be a good thing.

Edited by ChewBaka, 28 December 2015 - 03:18 AM.

#24 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

If other players don't want to lock targets for you, than its their choice.

I am STRUGGLING to find even ONE tactical benefit to not locking your target. All that tells me is you're a bad. Locking an enemy may as well add a massive neon arrow on your screen pointing at a part of the 'Mech with "SHOOT HERE" written on it. It's not just about making your LRM boats day a bit easier.

If you don't lock, you deserve to be called out in chat for being terrible. See a hollow dorito? PRESS R.

The rest of this post is just... silly. You're basically saying because it's a PUG game everyone should run around like lemmings and just grind their nose against the enemy 'Mechs until something explodes and how DARE anyone try and co-ordinate the rabble.

Those people must be terrible people, huh?

#25 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

Guys stop feeding the troll!

#26 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:00 AM

View PostPika, on 28 December 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I am STRUGGLING to find even ONE tactical benefit to not locking your target. All that tells me is you're a bad. Locking an enemy may as well add a massive neon arrow on your screen pointing at a part of the 'Mech with "SHOOT HERE" written on it. It's not just about making your LRM boats day a bit easier.

If you don't lock, you deserve to be called out in chat for being terrible. See a hollow dorito? PRESS R.

The rest of this post is just... silly. You're basically saying because it's a PUG game everyone should run around like lemmings and just grind their nose against the enemy 'Mechs until something explodes and how DARE anyone try and co-ordinate the rabble.

Those people must be terrible people, huh?

This isn't just about LRMs and locks.

I'm saying that if people are going to do their own thing in a PUG, than they shouldn't complain about others doing their own thing in PUGs too.

This, unfortunately, extends to locks yes. But if you're going to be in a LRM boat Atlas (which is obviously a non-competitive meta build), you shouldn't be complaining about what your teammates do.

Its a subpar mech complaining about subpar gameplay. There's something quite hypocritical about it.

But if you're not exactly setting a good example in the first place, why have such high expectations of others?

I apologize for the misleading title, but I cannot think of one that fits the word limit which can describe the situation accurately.

#27 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:17 AM

I like to shout orders over my low quality wal-mart microphone while driving my 36.4 KPH novelty stock Urbanmech.

Come at me.

#28 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

View PostOwen Miller, on 28 December 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

I like to shout orders over my low quality wal-mart microphone while driving my 36.4 KPH novelty stock Urbanmech.

Come at me.

Meet my nerfed huggin bish !

#29 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

When I started this game the forums were a great source of information: how to play, how to build, map and mode tactics, etc. More recently however, while the information content has taken a dive, the entertainment value has just skyrocketed.

I mean, from troll threads like this (it was intended as trolling right? Complaining about people acting as "armchair generals" and then proceed to complain about how others play the game...if the irony was recognized and intended, then that is some tasty troll eats right there; if not, then it is just wonderful lack of self-awareness) to others where T1 players are complaining about 12 mans and meta builds, and others with complaints of dropping as pugs in CW and not winning.

There is just a whole lot of absurdist fun to be had here in these forums.

#30 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 28 December 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

When I started this game the forums were a great source of information: how to play, how to build, map and mode tactics, etc. More recently however, while the information content has taken a dive, the entertainment value has just skyrocketed.

I mean, from troll threads like this (it was intended as trolling right? Complaining about people acting as "armchair generals" and then proceed to complain about how others play the game...if the irony was recognized and intended, then that is some tasty troll eats right there; if not, then it is just wonderful lack of self-awareness) to others where T1 players are complaining about 12 mans and meta builds, and others with complaints of dropping as pugs in CW and not winning.

No its not. Again, I apologize for the misleading title.

Its more about people who are not so interested in winning while playing armchair general.

If it seems like you're serious about winning, I might be inclined to listen.

But I can't take a LRM boat Atlas seriously, on account of it being a really silly build. If you don't seem serious about winning, why should I be?

Does that make sense to you?

Edit: Once again, I am not forbiding people from playing a LRM boat Atlas. Its your choice if you want to do so. Just don't expect me to take you seriously when you give out orders, OK? Play a meta build which I can take seriously and I will listen. Play a silly build and I won't take you seriously.

You can also choose not to take me seriously. That's fine. I'm tired of this.

Edited by ChewBaka, 28 December 2015 - 05:10 AM.

#31 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostChewBaka, on 28 December 2015 - 03:18 AM, said:

I'm not interested in climbing up the ladder. I'm perfectly happy in Tier 3 thank you very much. The moment I see myself climbing towards Tier 2, I'm going to make a little effort to drop some rank.

I'll make some effort to help you there, I reckon Ill start with blocking you from behind when you're reversing and not firing upon your targets when you need help.
You can't tell me what to do, you're not my real dad!

Your attitude is much the same of a lurm atlas demanding the team holds his locks.

#32 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostSadist Cain, on 28 December 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

I'll make some effort to help you there, I reckon Ill start with blocking you from behind when you're reversing and not firing upon your targets when you need help.
You can't tell me what to do, you're not my real dad!

Your attitude is much the same of a lurm atlas demanding the team holds his locks.

Than I'll do the same to you?

Once again, I apologize for starting off on the wrong foot. My point here is that if I cannot dictate how people pick their mechs, I will appreciate if they don't dictate how I play either.

That does not mean I will not provide support for you or be cooperative for the most part, OK? I understand that there are 10 other people on the team. This does not mean I'm going to spitefully not press R for the rest of the game.

#33 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Big hugs. Inflammatory openings always incite a similar response, I'll happily tank some hits for yourself. :3

#34 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostSadist Cain, on 28 December 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

Big hugs. Inflammatory openings always incite a similar response, I'll happily tank some hits for yourself. :3

Thanks for understanding.

I do realize what a huge mistake I made, starting up the topic like this and not being clear. Totally my bad.

Long and short of it: Pugs are Pugs. Deal with it. Warts and all. I used to try to tell people what to do too, and than I started playing the Urbie and realized how silly that is...

Want to be armchair general and push the PUG around? Show you're serious first yourself by not playing a joke build first. Else just let the PUG be a PUG. You do your silly thing, they do their silly thing, and you just have fun however you like.

#35 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

I'll admit I'm a closet Armchair General.
And do fairly well.
If you want a random shoot em up your'e in the wrong place mechbro.
But seriously no one can make you do anything.
We're only suggesting a course of action.
A simple plan.
Teamwork just works and every team need a leader.
Don't be the guy everyone laughing at who dies in the first 3 minutes of a match.
Posted Image
Armchair Generals Unite!

Edited by Novakaine, 28 December 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#36 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

Seriously, what's with trying to dictate people's playstyles in a PUG?

If other players don't want to lock targets for you, than its their choice. Don't whine about it. From their perspective, you're also ruining their game by playing a subpar mech and having subpar skill until you're dependent on other players to get locks.

Likewise, don't whine about people playing LRM boats either. Its their freaking choice. Just as its your own choice not to get locks for them. If the team loses, than it loses. You can blame each other but the simple truth is that it is everyone's fault. Yes, EVERYONE. From players who won't get locks (actually understandable in the current meta) to those play a mech that is dependent on locks.

You want teamwork, go find a team and get into a group game.

If you're going to play in a PUG, than enjoy the chaos of PUGs - win or lose. Pick a mech that is more flexible and not depedent on others. If you must pick a 1-dimensional build, don't complain about the consequences. Its as much your own fault as it is the team.

Sheesh.

Firstly why is there an assumption that anyone requesting their team to provide team work is an arse ?Seriously why is asking for your team mates to perform a very basic function of the game such a stretch? How put out would a player be by simply locking targets they can see? It's literally pressing one button.

If I ever play LRMs in the public queue and I hear winging and moaning if I request for people to literally lift a finger and press ONE button I now know I have epicly lazy and selfish noobs on my team. I can almost count on this match being a loss on account of not having a team but a bunch of solos with little concept of team work.

If other players do not lock targets they are not only failing to provide target data to any LRMs on their team but also failing to provide important intel to the rest of the team as a whole. Because we all know that players who can not be bothered to press a button for a target lock will also not be bothered to press a button and then have to actually speak...I mean seriously how much can we ask of one player to actually press buttons and force air over their larynx !

I consider the players who windge and moan about being asked to perform a BASIC function of their mechs sensors to be among the worst kind of players. They fall into two catagories.

1) Painfully ignorant of how to provide effective team work.

2) Painfully selfish and unwilling to provide effective team work.

Or in effect painfully bad at being in a team. Since this is a team oriented game they are just bad players.It doesn't matter if they get 1000 damage and kills every time if their team fails to win. If they are that good they NEED to step up and lead they NEED to provide assistance to the team members who are not as good. If they do nothing to improve the team because they are so "skilled" it's their fault the team lost because they did nothing to properly apply their skill for the team.

Now where is the assumption that an LRM mech is sub par? A well played LRM mech can carry hard if it is supported well. I played a public solo queue match with my newly purchased and outfitted Highlander IIc LRM60 with 4 medium pulse backup. This mech didn't have a single XP on it nothing but fresh paint and a new LRM centric build.

I opened with please lock when you can and did get someone whining about get your own locks newb or some such non team work oriented selfish garbage. My team did lose that match but it wasn't from my 960 damage and 4 kills 1 solo kill performance that I managed WITHOUT team support. I f I had team support I do not doubt we would have won because with proper team support I could have provided the edge to the team with that mech that would have won the match.

If early game I had UAV support I would have softened up the enemy before they engaged. I would have removed ECM mechs and probably removed high threat mechs or at least crippled them.

At this point I don't even bother to even try to bring anything that may need team support when I solo because I know you can not count on being assigned a team by the matchmaker.It seems to be more likely that the matchmaker assigns you a bunch of crybabies who can't be bothered to perform basic functions like press "R" .

#37 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

Oh a side note.
As I'm heading into my more stately years.
I'm gonna be rollin this.
Posted Image

#38 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 28 December 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Oh a side note.
As I'm heading into my more stately years.
I'm gonna be rollin this.
Posted Image

It's missing Missile Launcher Racks there Nova....

#39 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 28 December 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

You should have been around a year ago when Lurms suck threads covered half the front page. Want to talk about trolling entertainment. Id argue both sides of the point at the same time just to mess with people and slide the threads. The lulz ranked right up there with "this is now a pony thread".

#40 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

Why so black and white?

I agree that b*tching about sub-optimal mech builds or even bad play is misguided, when it comes to solo queue, and makes me wonder if those doing the b*tching ever left their mom's basement.

But as far as gameplay, I just find it fun to attempt a bit of team-work. Yes, even in solo queue. The 11 other guys are right there, and you win or lose as a team -- why not even try? It's the wrong game to play if you don't want to even acknowledge your team mates' existence.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users