Tbr Ct Hitbox

Balance BattleMechs

19 replies to this topic

#1 Zentil

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

I wonder if anyone has discussed this before. I own 3 TBR and no other mech, and I like it quite a bit, though I cannot make comparisons with other chassis...
Today I was looking at hitboxes and found out that the TBS has quite a large CT hitbox. For example, the Stalker has a much smaller CT hitbox compared to the TBR, though its shape resembles the TBR's a bit (with the nose and so on).
Now that I think about it, i get hit in the CT a lot with the TBR, the protruding nose being both a large and a pretty identifiable target, even from the sides--while LT and RT cover most of the nose for the Stalker, for example.
So yes, I am a bit whining Posted Image I suspect such a large CT hitbox is on purpose, just wish I had known before. The HBR for example has a pretty narrow CT hitbox, something to take into account for the future...

I'd be curious to know how often in game a TBR loses its CT before losing its LT and RT, and how this compares to other chassis. To me it happens a lot, even if I try to turn left and right to spread the damage.

Any comment?

Edited by Zentil, 29 December 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#2 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:07 AM

I can not see a problem. Timbi is still fine and one of the best mechs in game.

#3 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostZentil, on 29 December 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

Any comment?

It's not an issue if you torso twist, but if you don't it's 2-3 alphas and you're dead. Come to think of it, I might have alpha'd your CT a couple of times. TBR actually has very good hitboxes, the best out of all heavies in fact.

#4 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:12 AM

Learn2torsotwist. TBR ist one of the thoughest heavys ingame. Stalker dies fast too if you don't twist.

#5 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

TBR absolutely requires good twisting to be tanky. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I like the mech; it requires a decent degree of pilot skill to be effective in comparison to starring stuff down with massive structural buffs. That said, I feel like the STs peel off if they're targeted, but I suppose that's just the most efficient way to kill a TBR.

#6 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

Play an ebon jaguar and you'll know what a vulnerable CT is. Play a MDD and you'll know what a vulnerable everything is!

#7 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:28 AM

View PostEvan20k, on 29 December 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

I feel like the STs peel off if they're targeted, but I suppose that's just the most efficient way to kill a TBR.

I find it's the best way to kill most Clan mechs. Take out a weaker ST instead of the CT. Firepower and mobility are reduced while you take out their other ST. Also nets you more rewards for damage and component destruction.

As for the Timber, I find I usually lose a ST before my CT blows.

#8 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

Always lose an ST before I lose the CT.

I guarantee someone is going to try to force me to twist away, and then gut my firepower in half while I'm twisted.

This is what happens when you pilot a priority target.

#9 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

People don't aim for Timber CT, they just don't, its always the bunny ears they're after.

#10 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

When in doubt try to take out your targets right torso first, especially on heavier mechs...it would be nice to have some mechs where the asymmetry was flipped

#11 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

Zero, repeat ZERO sympathy about Timberwolf hitboxes. Its probably the best all round mech in the game. Great speed, a loadout for any occasion and play style. And jumpjets. Just learn to twist more.

#12 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

What they all said. It's a fantastic mech when piloted correctly. I don't always do as well with it because the firepower tricks me into thinking I have the assault structure to match the assault firepower. Twist or die quick. You should be flattered that you are piloting such a behemoth of the battlefield and they want to take you out quickly. I know I always try to focus fire on a TBR to take em out As quick as possible

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

So you want to take the Best Heavy in the game, and make it even harder to kill ?

#14 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

The Timber Wolf has grate hit boxes, if anything the back ones are a little buggy when walking....

If you want bad hit boxes, the old Dragon or the Hellbringers when the Hellbringer was first introduced... Those were bad hit boxes....

Just to ecco everyone else, the Timber Wolf has a low skill floor, especially when combined with laser vomt, meaning that it's hard to do badly in a Timber Wolf.

#15 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

That's the big drawback to any non-humanoid mech. Many have quirks to overcome this problem but the Timby is so good at everything, it doesn't need any quirks. Really learn to torso twist, spread damage, and choose where your opponent will hit you. One trick with they Timby is to look up when you're twisting to spread damage, it helps shield with those tiny arms.

#16 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostZypher, on 29 December 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

When in doubt try to take out your targets right torso first, especially on heavier mechs...it would be nice to have some mechs where the asymmetry was flipped

You mean like Battlemasters and Thunderbolts?

#17 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostZentil, on 29 December 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

I wonder if anyone has discussed this before. I own 3 TBR and no other mech, and I like it quite a bit, though I cannot make comparisons with other chassis...
Today I was looking at hitboxes and found out that the TBS has quite a large CT hitbox. For example, the Stalker has a much smaller CT hitbox compared to the TBR, though its shape resembles the TBR's a bit (with the nose and so on).
Now that I think about it, i get hit in the CT a lot with the TBR, the protruding nose being both a large and a pretty identifiable target, even from the sides--while LT and RT cover most of the nose for the Stalker, for example.
So yes, I am a bit whining Posted Image I suspect such a large CT hitbox is on purpose, just wish I had known before. The HBR for example has a pretty narrow CT hitbox, something to take into account for the future...

I'd be curious to know how often in game a TBR loses its CT before losing its LT and RT, and how this compares to other chassis. To me it happens a lot, even if I try to turn left and right to spread the damage.

Any comment?

You're adorable.

Try driving a dragon if you want to know what a vulnerable CT feels like.

#18 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 29 December 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

You're adorable.

Try driving a dragon if you want to know what a vulnerable CT feels like.

Dragons had a hit box adjustment recently, they are way more tanky now... Last time out with my 5N I actually died to ST loss before my CT was taken out ...

#19 TyphonCh

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

I agree it has good hit boxes.
May also be fact of the matter that it's so popular, and it's been out for a while now. Everyone has learned where to shoot and how to kill it

#20 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Torso Twisting is OP....

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users