#21 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 December 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Then there is &quot;Pilot Skill Rating&quot; in which the game compares your skills to other players' skills and then if you lose to say, lower skills, you lose skill. If you lose to higher skills, it stays the same. You win against higher skills, yours goes up. If you win against equal skills, it goes up or stays the same. If you lose to equal skills, it either goes down or stays the same.
Minor correction.

The above is how Elo works. PSR isn't concerned with the skill rating of your opposition. It raises or lowers based on whether you win or lose, and your personal match score.

There's no comparative adjustments anymore.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 30 December 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Minor correction.

The above is how Elo works. PSR isn't concerned with the skill rating of your opposition. It raises or lowers based on whether you win or lose, and your personal match score.

There's no comparative adjustments anymore.

I've had it go up with a rather crappy score even though I took out someone in particular (which was not an easy feat). I've also gotten pretty decent scores against enemies and still get equal pilot skill or even see it drop. It seems a bit more complex than score. Granted, match score itself is somewhat complex as we generallystill don't know what influences it.

ELO had the issue of using combined averages to form scores and rather awkwardly thrust things up or down. PSR does have a significantly more individualized method.

Edited by Koniving, 30 December 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#23 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

It's just as well that we don't really understand PSR. If we did, we'd find a way to game it, just like map/mode voting (DEMOCRACY == TYRANNY).

#24 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

It's not at all comparative. How it works is well detailed - opponent PSR rating is not a factor at all.

There are set points where it goes up and down, depending on match score and whether or not you win or lose. It's not too secret. I've heard the occasional tale of unusual changes, but never with verification - mine has been entirely predictable. I'd like to see an eor screen showing otherwise.

#25 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 30 December 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

It's not at all comparative. How it works is well detailed - opponent PSR rating is not a factor at all.

There are set points where it goes up and down, depending on match score and whether or not you win or lose. It's not too secret. I've heard the occasional tale of unusual changes, but never with verification - mine has been entirely predictable. I'd like to see an eor screen showing otherwise.

This. In the beginning some of the movements seemed a bit strange. Once everyone came together and figured out the actual breakpoints I haven't really seen anything to contradict them.

#26 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostBilbo, on 30 December 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

This. In the beginning some of the movements seemed a bit strange. Once everyone came together and figured out the actual breakpoints I haven't really seen anything to contradict them.
is there a post with the actual breakpoints? I know roughly where they are, but am not sure of the specific ones. I'd like to get a thread going with breakpoints listed and a requirement that anyone debating them post screenshots showing the non conforming score. Because I do see people complain that they got X score and still lost rating (or whatever other unexpected results) but those statements NEVER come with proof. I tend to believe these statements are simply incorrect (unintentionally) as, as I said, for me PSR adjustments have been 100% predictable and consistent.

#27 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 30 December 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

is there a post with the actual breakpoints? I know roughly where they are, but am not sure of the specific ones. I'd like to get a thread going with breakpoints listed and a requirement that anyone debating them post screenshots showing the non conforming score. Because I do see people complain that they got X score and still lost rating (or whatever other unexpected results) but those statements NEVER come with proof. I tend to believe these statements are simply incorrect (unintentionally) as, as I said, for me PSR adjustments have been 100% predictable and consistent.

This one appears to be accurate:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4720207

#28 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 30 December 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

It's just as well that we don't really understand PSR. If we did, we'd find a way to game it, just like map/mode voting (DEMOCRACY == TYRANNY).

We DO completely understand PSR. You personally may not, but the information is available. See Bilbo's link.

#29 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

If you want some pointers on fighting in big mechs, follow the link in my signature. Otherwise here are some standard tips I give to everyone:

You need to change your mentality. I am currently Tier 3 in the PSR, mostly piloting heavy and assault mechs in solo queue, as a solo player (not that I am against playing with groups, but the group queue tonnage limits arent my thing and I dont have a group of people to play with on average).

You have to play with the mindset that you are playing solo and happen to have other people around you. All you can do is try to cover those that are around you, while hoping they do the same.

Dont be the first on the charge unless you are more than willing to be the first to die in the match. Especially if you are in an assault mech. People will give you **** for not being their bullet sponge, but if your focus is getting higher PSR, you have to play as a solo player who has NPC team members that will die quickly.
Once a fight has been committed to, swivel the **** out of your torso to spread the damage. it doesnt matter if you lose an arm or a torso as long as you can keep fighting and doing damage. AC and SRM weapons are better for swivel tanking compared to lasers. Lasers require you face your opponent to keep the laser on then, AC and SRM's dont require you to keep looking your enemy in the eye to do damage.

Use artillery and UAV's to help out your team. You get damage points/score for landing a good arty/air strike on the enemy, and UAV's not only reveal the enemies location but if team members do damage on an enemy revealed this way (as well with laser painters and NARC's) you get a lot of points for it. You may be playing solo, but your still playing with a team (a very important concept).

Another thing is that with PSR, you get queued with people 2 ranks above and below you. So if you have a PSR of 5, you will only get teamed up with (and against) people Tier 5, 4 and 3. If you are tier 3 like me, you get paired up with people (and against people) from tier 5 all the way to tier 1. So once you hit tier 3, its a real ******* slow crawl to get to tier 2 (especially when leveling up mechs at the same time). I am 1/2 way to tier 2, but its been a real slow push to make it there.

Also, dont let people peer-pressure you out of weapon types. LRM's dont suck (they really dont, but they arent as meta as the laser spam that has held the meta for so long) and are good weapons no matter what tier you are, you just have to learn how to use them. The only weapons that currently 'suck' are flamers and LB-10X (which doesnt exactly suck, but the damage spread on it is not great). Find weapon groups that really sync well with you, and stick to them.

Last bit of advice, dont worry about being a general every match. Just try to stick with the group, try not to get singled out, and just accept that there are going to be games you are going to lose (and sometimes lose very badly). The sooner you do, the sooner you can enjoy this game. If you let your blood pressure rise with every match, Faction Warfare will give you an aneurysm.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users