How Many People Support The Gauss Nerf?

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support the gauss nerf? (318 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the gauss nerf?

1. Yes, gauss needed a nerf (122 votes [38.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.36%

2. Voted No, gauss was fine (167 votes [52.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.52%

3. Too early to tell. (20 votes [6.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

4. I have a GREAT idea on how to balance gauss (9 votes [2.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 31 December 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

The original chargeup nerf was enough to desync the Gauss rifle from the PPCs, so the additional nerf was just an unnecessary knee-jerk nerf.

Just a quick comment. Most gaming profiling software for mice and controllers allow triggers to be assigned when a button is released rather than pressed so the charge-up never de-synced it from the PPC. If that is the desired effect it should be coded in and remove the charge-up.

It's just unfathomable to me. The Gauss is the lowest DPS per ton required weapon in MWO by double the amount of the next lowest and it's only benefit is range and accuracy. Please stop overreacting, remove the charge-up.

#42 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 31 December 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Just a quick comment. Most gaming profiling software for mice and controllers allow triggers to be assigned when a button is released rather than pressed so the charge-up never de-synced it from the PPC. If that is the desired effect it should be coded in and remove the charge-up.

It's just unfathomable to me. The Gauss is the lowest DPS per ton required weapon in MWO by double the amount of the next lowest and it's only benefit is range and accuracy. Please stop overreacting, remove the charge-up.

Yes, of course people will find means that PGI can not control to exploit the game.

#43 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostTarogato, on 30 December 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Option 5: No, gauss needed a nerf.

... in other words, yes gauss needed a nerf. And no, I do not support the nerf, it was too strong.

Yup. That's always been the case with Paul. Instead of adjustments we get massive nerfs and buffs.

#44 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 31 December 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Yes, of course people will find means that PGI can not control to exploit the game.

It's not an exploit. It's just a macro.

#45 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostFastwind, on 30 December 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Gauss needs a buff!
because it got nerfed 3 times now,hard,and the reason for the nerf was always another weaponsystem that was op
the first 2 times because of ppc's and now because of laser vomit
and the lasers are still op
also it highly saddens me that pgi obviously doesn't want sniping to be a thing
i guess no one at pgi can aim half decent,thats why we get all these short range MAPS and long range weapon nerfs
they once had a slogan " A thinking mans shoter" now it's more like facehug buttonsmash,still miss
makes me sad

Except this nerf doesn't impair the gauss rifle as a sniper weapon, it just makes it even worse than it already was in a brawl :/ . I kina think the debate is about whether or not it deserves to be even worse in a brawl. I'd say yes.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 31 December 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#46 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

View PostFastwind, on 30 December 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

it's easier to hit a target thats 100 m away with the gauss than one thats beyond 600+ meters
because by the time you have charged the weapon your 600meter target has gotten to cover ducked down or even more likely a friendly mech walked into your line of fire
so you have to hold your shot and recharge again
the friendly walks in your line of fire again,because he hasn't made up his mind if he should go forward or backward and guess what,you hold the charge and recharge again
leaving you with a even bigger reload
the weapon is by far nerfed enough

It's not that hard to hit a long range target with a gauss rifle, especially since it's one of the stealthiest weapons in the game. It sounds like you've had a bad game or two with the weapon. That doesn't mean it was under-powered. Again, it was a staple of competitive play.

#47 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 31 December 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

and thats bad why exactly?

Because it's then able to preform competently in a brawl.

#48 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 31 December 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: as the gauss sits right now (Dec 31, 2015), all that is needed is the put the health back up to 10 and REMOVE the charge up.

If PGI ever buffs the gauss rifle, the last thing they need to do is remove the charge mechanic. I can understand thinking the cooldown is too much, but the charge mechanic is definitely needed.

#49 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 31 December 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

If PGI ever buffs the gauss rifle, the last thing they need to do is remove the charge mechanic. I can understand thinking the cooldown is too much, but the charge mechanic is definitely needed.

Well, there are alternatives, but some people REALLY wouldn't like them.

Ex: inability to fire multiple Gauss at once, global cooldown of a half second. No more LOLpha, but snap shots for a single Gauss.

Some people would cry bloody murder.

#50 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 31 December 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

Because it's then able to preform competently in a brawl.

View PostMcgral18, on 31 December 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

Well, there are alternatives, but some people REALLY wouldn't like them.

Ex: inability to fire multiple Gauss at once, global cooldown of a half second. No more LOLpha, but snap shots for a single Gauss.

Some people would cry bloody murder.

Do that for every weapon.

#51 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

I know of 2 people who like the gauss nerf ... Paul and Russ.

#52 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostZolaz, on 01 January 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

You've got three, add me onto the list :D

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 01 January 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Because what's the drawback?

#53 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 01 January 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

Because what's the drawback?

missing? Why does there always have to be a drawback?

Maybe they should put in the min range from TT.

#54 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 01 January 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

missing? Why does there always have to be a drawback?

Maybe they should put in the min range from TT.

Because it's video game that's intended to be balanced. It isn't an ode to table top.

#55 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:57 PM

Not that game design is a democracy...

PS: Anyone who cites "the lore" as a justification for balance (or for imbalance, as is more often the case) has embarrassed themselves to the point where they no longer retain much credibility on the subject.

View PostZolaz, on 01 January 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Er, sorry to break it to you, buddy, but you also know me. =)

#56 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

Gauss is already low DPM. It doesn't need a nerf, it is overnerfed already.

#57 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

The Gauss Rifle adjustment should have been chassis specific, a quirk, either positive or negative. That it was done at the same time that C-ERML max range was reduced means we would not have any stats on how the synergy between those two would have been affected.

PGI should return the GR back to its base health and reduce the explosive rate to match normal ammo.

Edited by Half Ear, 03 January 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#58 Inglix

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 30 December 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

Yeah, it was needed. Gauss spam wasn't often, but when it happened it wasn't counterable. It ran incredibly cool, had incredible range and pin-point damage.

Face against a team of laserboats? Wait for them to overheat. Twist to reduce damage.

Face against a team of SRM boats? Get some distance!

Face against a team of missleboats? Get some cover!

Face against a team of gaussboats? Get some cover!

For you, I fixed it. At least gauss follows a straight line trajectory. Missiles arc over, and for new players without radar deprivation or ECM, are just death.

People want to nerf gauss, fine. However, if there's a charge time the capacitors are not holding the energy which causes it to explode per canon. Pick your poison: Do you want a gauss rifle to explode or do you want the charge timer?

While we're at it, can PGI implement the indirect fire rules for missiles? Unless a target is NARC'd or TAG'd, indirect fire is treated as 1 point artillery splatter per TT. That'll save the new players without radar dep or ecm, and also boost the NARC and TAG importance.

Also ECM is not stealth - ECM jams detection with noise and would create a "blob" on the radar display. Countering the ECM lights up the countering mech (it takes a lot of power to cut through) but it does get rid of the ECM blob.

Now something like the Null Signature System is stealth. NSS is kind of like a stealth fighter: baffles and whatnot that reduce detectability to sensors and the EWI to maneuver around radar / lidar. The system is not perfect though because it has built in penalties, a slower lock on and it has a heat penalty, and so on. Oh, Clans don't use NSS or other stealth systems.

#59 Fastwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostMawai, on 31 December 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

"also it highly saddens me that pgi obviously doesn't want sniping to be a thing"

LOL. If you can't snipe in MWO you are doing something wrong. You may not be able to snipe as quickly with zero heat as you used to with dual gauss but sniping is still a useful tactic.

I did 700 damage not that long ago in a snipe PPC MAD-3R.

Maulers, Cataphracts and Jaegers with 3 or 4 AC5s are great at sniping.

All the dual gauss builds are good at sniping.

PPCs are generally ok at sniping but the PPC projectile speed quirked mechs are much easier to use.

You can even snipe with LL and ERLL but you need a steady hand.

Sniping is firing from long range with good accuracy and there are a lot of ways to do this in MWO.

Many folks who are complaining about the gauss nerf want a high rate of fire, pin point, long range, fast projectile damage weapon ... or in other words something that is perfect and OP in comparison to the other options.

With clan XL engines and clan CASE ... even the explosive nature of the gauss rifle is mitigated when used by clans.

Ok lets say it this way
there were times in mwo when we used to snipe at ranges between "1000 - 2000 meters" <--- serious sniping
now its more like 500 - 800 meters
the new maps are build that you rarely get to shot at ranges excessive of 800 meters
weapons get nerfed that they are ineffective at ranges beyond 800 meters (to hot not enough dmg,not enough ammo ,not worth taken the shots)
i rly miss the 1k -2k m range engagements where you rly could outrange some builds
if your now shoting someone at 600 meter,what most of you seem to see as sniping,you're so close to the enemy team that someone there is gona shot you with his medium lasers
but i guess whatever facehugging and still missing your targets is the way the game goes for all the new players
you know,you need to make it easy for them
maybe at some point we even get the world of tanks and armored warfare lock on (autoaim mechanic)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users