Starting Out Advice?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

Been playing a few days and online matches seem... one sided currently to me. So what should I be saving for besides a Stormcrow?

I prefer distance to CANYOUHEARMENOW style of fighting. So far I have a Raven(ErPPC, LRM5) for sniping and Catapult(20+10+AMS) for carpet bombing, I had a Jenner... and then I didn't... Also have a Cataphract that I'm undecided on.

Had a few people say my raven build is terrible... except I've noticed more people backpedal from it than my Cpult.

Eh? Been out of the game for many years... last mecha I played was Armored Core, so very out of it. Took me a few minutes to realize the loadout was dragndrop -.-;

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

To me the only terrible mech is the one you can't do good damage with.. People love the dual large laser raven builds,, but i can barely break 100 with the stupid things.. Stick me with Dual Medium lasers and a pair of SRM4's and i've broken 600+. My guess with a raven and ERPPC+LRM you might of played the game a few summers ago? that's when those weapons were very powerful, now they are just decent weapons, and can be good in the right hands.

the dual large laser build is 18 alpha with 2.24 DSP.. it is more of a peak and poke type of mech.. and is the Flavor of the month.. BUT something similar to your build..

ERPPC, (but instead of using an LRM), swap it with an SRM 4 and 2 tons or 1 ton + a double heat sink), or srm6 and 1 ton, and you up your alpha to 22, and DPS of 2.4 (i would not use a single LRM 5, they just don't work well enough alone.) this build would be slightly slower than the above a whole 6KPH which is really nothing. More damage up close, longer range for sniping, at a bit less damage. But hit harder under 280M

The other day i saw a guy running a spider 5D running a single ERPPC build, and the guy pulled over 280 or something like that with a few kills and a bunch of assists. was a very popular build back in the day, now not so much.. but takling to him in game, he says he still has a blast in it and does pretty well. Basically if you can do well with it, and have fun, it does not have to be what everyone is doing

I am not sure what catapult you have, but it has to be the a1, c1, or C4.. So with out knowing it is hard to give suggestions. Catapults are a harder mech to run, but with a recent buff to LRM's they are better.

I do have to ask, a few questions

Do you own an XL engine?

Do you enjoy missiles?

Do you like the style of ravens? aka a light mech?

Which cataphract do you have is it the 3D? (a mech that was once very popular, now it is just a solid IS mech, not the best, but certainly not the worst. Some can be medium-long range,, others are more brawler builds..

As for what to save for, that is such an open ended question.. and need more data outside of saying.. for a clanner, basically a stormcrow is the goto medium, and a timber wolf or Hellbringer the go to heavies.. But if you want to stay inner sphere side, the question is sooo much deeper. And would really need more info on how you like what you have, and what play styles you like, what weapons.. ect..

Clan side is so much easier in that aspect, as a stormcrow and timber can run all the weapon systems pretty much, but will cost you a lotta cash to get rolling. I personally am just getting into clan side outside of fighting them for years.. Solid mechs, and really easy to use over all, especially the energy boats..

I will say, If you wan't to try a clanner,, give the trial mechs a try.. the Timber-C (C) is a trial and runs a pair of large pulse, and pair 3 Medium lasers.. the mech is very solid. Play that, see if you like the clan side of things. Also there is a stormcrow trial now as well. well worth trying before you invest..

You might even want to spend some time in the training grounds on the new maps they have added, and updated some of the old so you are not running in them blind. You can skip the bottom 6 as they are clan wars maps, and you won't be playing on them for a while.. But then again nothing wrong with checking um out..

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 December 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#3 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

Something that has helped me is the number of weapon groups I have. Three. Left button controls the left arm, right button the right arm, and the 3rd, torso mounted weapons. This means I run simplistic load outs.

The only time I have 4 groups is on the Atlas. I have an LRM build, with AC/20 and lasers. I dump the LRMs at the start of the match, and by the time I engage in close combat I'm down to 3 buttons. 2 for the lasers in the arms, and 1 for the AC/20.

The other thing to consider is projectile speed. Here is an example:
AC/20's ballistic speed is 650
SRM's missile speed is 400

You need different lead times for these weapons and grouping them together can cause one or the other to miss if your target is too far out, or moving in the wrong direction. With that said, a number of Atlases have AC/20s and SRMs. Which is pretty devastating but to consider is ballistic/missile speed. But if they are in the same firing group you have to be aware of what what's going on. Not only what your target is doing but where you are. Like coming around a building and alpha striking an enemy mech only to have your SRMs hit the building. Or lead the target to hit with SRMs and shoot your AC/20 which goes wide.

That's some advice I wish I had early in the game but had to figure out for myself.

OH! And having torso weapons grouped with arm weapons? Not always the best idea. Take the Atlas 7-D with 1 laser in each arm and 2 in the center torso. If they are in the same group, and you aim at a target to the side with your arms and fire, the CT lasers go off as well. Thats extra hit for no reason at all. And worse you might hit your own team or shut down! Its a beginners mistake that I've seen all to often, starting with myself. So be mindful of the location of the weapons your linking together as well.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 30 December 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

It's dangerous to go alone.

Take this.

~Leone.

#5 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 30 December 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

The other day i saw a guy running a spider 5D running a single ERPPC build, and the guy pulled over 280 or something like that with a few kills and a bunch of assists. was a very popular build back in the day, now not so much.. but takling to him in game, he says he still has a blast in it and does pretty well. Basically if you can do well with it, and have fun, it does not have to be what everyone is doing

I average 500ish, highest being 1k all Cplt.

I am not sure what catapult you have, but it has to be the a1, c1, or C4.. So with out knowing it is hard to give suggestions. Catapults are a harder mech to run, but with a recent buff to LRM's they are better.

A1c

I do have to ask, a few questions

Do you own an XL engine?

Can't afford at the moment lol

Do you enjoy missiles?

LRM or Streak only... SRMs are useless to me.

Do you like the style of ravens? aka a light mech?

I prefer Light to medium... heavy is too slow to me and assault is painful(ha).

Which cataphract do you have is it the 3D? (a mech that was once very popular, now it is just a solid IS mech, not the best, but certainly not the worst. Some can be medium-long range,, others are more brawler builds..

0XP, tried making it a sniper but it didn't work well. Shots hit buildings, rocks, obstacles... team mates...

As for what to save for, that is such an open ended question.. and need more data outside of saying.. for a clanner, basically a stormcrow is the goto medium, and a timber wolf or Hellbringer the go to heavies.. But if you want to stay inner sphere side, the question is sooo much deeper. And would really need more info on how you like what you have, and what play styles you like, what weapons.. ect..

I like a bit of both... I recognize many of these from older titles, but some I do not.

#6 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

Starting out advice - don't use LRMs until you understand the terrain of the game.

LRMs will set back your skill progress by months.

#7 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

View Postsycocys, on 30 December 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

Starting out advice - don't use LRMs until you understand the terrain of the game.

LRMs will set back your skill progress by months.

Explain? Already grasped what maps they are bad and which ones they are not.

I've already maxed out my Cplt skills and Raven skills as well.

#8 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

Read the guide section...

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...des-strategies/

Edited by MavRCK, 30 December 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#9 spartync

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Just finished my first week...

A few thoughts:

1 - Teams that have more pilots on mics ... do better in pugs almost always. That doesn't mean they win, but that definitely means they are more coordinated and make a game of it.

2 - Any time you see someone actively ignoring advice and just acting like a petulant little kid ... your team is toast...

3 - Personal success is DIRECTLY tied to your team's success. You PSR up A LOT slower by getting 700 dmg and 4 Killing Blows on a losing team than you do by scoring 300 dmg with no Killing Blows but 8 assists.

4 - Pick a mastery pack and get cracking. Leveling up the mechs and variants in the mastery packs is a QUICK way to start getting the flavor of the game. I picked the Blackjack mastery pack and couldn't be happier. Lots of variants that are all fun and because mastery packs come with a Hero you have a mech that gets you +30% CBILLS as well.

5 - Take advice.

6 - Listen to the battlefield and get to know the map grids. What is the place you see a lot of action on any given map most frequently? Where do people like to flank, how quick can it happen, and what mech types seem better on any given map? Those kinds of questions and notes you take for yourself will make you a lot better much quicker.

7 - You're going to have some streaks where you can't get anything right. It happens. The learning curve is pretty steep! I've played 107 matches and have over a 2 K:D ratio. That came with PLENTY of moments where I was going 3 - 4 games losing my mech in every single game.

8 - Damage is not the end of the world. Live in it. Embrace it. Know how to trade it smartly. It's WORTH taking some serious damage when you get get in behind an Assault and get off 2+ alphas into their rear armor. It's NOT worth taking damage when you're only able to MAYBE hit something at the edge of your weapon effectiveness range.

9 - Try out lots of the trial mechs. Mechs you might think you won't like, or play styles you may be writing off could be the thing that suits you best. The trial mechs are there for you to play with and get familiar with them. Running out and buying an Atlas only to find out that you just sunk a pretty heavy chunk of CBILLS into a mech that's maybe more generalized that what you want can be discouraging...there are plenty of posts on here by people who had immediate buyer's regret.

10 - Learn to use your comms! Call out enemy mechs by grid. Tell people you need help. Ask for help. Just because you're new doesn't mean you're not right.

11 - Stay with your lance/team but don't hide.

12 - Learn to position your mech to take damage smartly. If you're left arm has your AC/20....protect it by firing and swinging your mech's torso around so the counter fire hits your right side instead of your left.

13 - READ THE ENEMY DAMAGE GRIDS!!!! Taking random pot shots at a mech that you could have been working on wounded leg, or center torso to core them out is wasting heat, position, and ammo. You're also giving that mech time to get away or take out your fellow teammates.

14 - Keep moving.

15 - Take notes in a little notebook. It's HARD to remember all the things you do and see in a match. Just a couple notes about the match can help you notice patterns and see how you're performing.

#10 Surn

• Hero of Kurita
  • Hero of Kurita
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Get an indestructible artic cheater with a 40+ damage alpha, extreme speed, ecm... It is so OP, you might get that Ace of Spades title.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

Ok.. you played a bit sooner that i last thought.. and a bit more advanced too Posted Image If you can pull decent damage in your ERPPC+LRM5 light.. then you are doing something right...

You said you like mediums, and LRM's.. have you thought about going with a medium flanker? There is another thread here on the front page about it. Dig through the post, it has info about Flanker Mediums http://mwomercs.com/...astery-bundles/

But the short of it, HBK 4J, is a beast,(needs an XL engine) and the other HBK's are lots of fun too. (other HBK's just run standards). Griffins or kintaro's all make great LRM flankers, and the kintaro can also run streaks+ lrms with it's many missile hard points. Griffins also have an ECM version and Griffins hero is also an energy boat hero as well and who doesn't like boating energy, especially these days as energy is quite good. Griffins also can mount JJ's as well. You also have one other option, that isnt as popular as of late, and those are the trebuchets, they are getting resized down the road, but who knows when. Some of them also run jump jets, and have ac-5+ PPC variant. I mention this as you stated how you like and use PPC's

you could grab the griffin 3M it comes with an XL-275, then you could swap it around with your other mechs, aka raven and catapult. It's really not a bad option for you, seeing you could use the engine in your raven, and catapult, and play a new flanker medium.. all for a we bit more than the cost of just buying a XL engine.

For your A1 catapult you really should grab an XL engine. My guess is part of your issue with the catapult is you are having to use to large of STD engine to get speed, or to small and you are just going to slow, and or having to reduce your load out.. a typical A1 build is 4xLRM10's + 2X SRM6's Though i suppose you could go dual streaks, but that is kinda weak.. I have not tried 4 streaks and a pair of 15's, maybe that could work for ya. I do run streaks in one of mine, 2X LRM20, 2X ML's, 2X Streak2's with a BAP, the pair of ML's+streaks give it an 18 alpha, though it is spread a bit, 4 streaks would be 16 but spread more. They are more of a Durant than anything. But that cat is actually my best catapult outside of my Hero jester stat wise, but i prefer my LRM15+3MPL one more. But Cat's really need an XL.. i typically run a 265 or 280, though my jester runs a 325 for speeds faster than most mediums.. about 95KPH with jump jets! the thing gets around, no doubt.

Cataphracts can also move fairly decently if you stick an STD 300 in them, but my guess is your issue is with the low slung arms.. they are hard to get a handle on. Once you do, they make for a pretty fun mech, at least i always liked um. Some can run some nice AC-5 or UAC5 load outs.. or the brawler AC-20 builds.

But all that said.. Maybe grabbing a storm crow is for you if you just want something different and to try clans. Check out the Clan medium thread i started with my dirty clanner noobie account about all things medium clan.. http://mwomercs.com/...n-clan-mediums/

I asked for some help as i don't really know much about how they play and got tons of great advice if you want to go clan, and medium.. it has all you could ask for as far as info goes about the mediums. (I gotta make a sig showing both names so people don't get confused, cause typically when i'm it's when i'm logged in between matches)

at any rate.. hope some of this stuff helps ya.. Happy fragging!

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 December 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Starting out advice?

I had this whole long-winded, somewhat condescending-sounding (I swear I'm trying not to be THAT guy) post ready to go. But this is new player HELP, not HARASSMENT, and I have to tone things down.

Okay, first advice. Go to the Guides and Strategies forum, and read up. Seriously. Kin3ticX's new players guide is good stuff. There's a lot of more nuanced discussion of things like LRM launcher choices (1x LRM-20, or 1. LRM-15 and 1x LRM-5, which is better?) and alternative tactics for light mechs (SpleenSlitta's guide for non-meta light mech tactics is fun and refreshing, and I think your PPC Raven might work for it). PLENTY of stuff there.

I would normally make my first recommendation that you come to the New Player Help forum and post your questions, but you're ahead of the ball on that. GRATS BRUH!

Come back here after the guides.

And keep playing! Try some different things out, and see if something grabs you. For instance, try running that RVN-3L with a XL280, ECM, 3 MLs, 2 Streak SRM-2s, and whatever else fits, and go backstab some enemy Dire Wolves. (HINT: It's FUN!)

And, WELCOME TO MECHWARRIOR ONLINE! :-D

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

Three bits of advice:

1. Don't just focus on how you are doing, but think also about how you are helping the team.
2. Think about how you can best use terrain. What's the best terrain to use for defending. What's the best terrain to use for offense.
3. Stay dynamic and flexible. Change positions, adjust to what the enemy is doing and the inclinations of the team.

#14 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

View PostMechregSurn, on 30 December 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Get an indestructible artic cheater with a 40+ damage alpha, extreme speed, ecm... It is so OP, you might get that Ace of Spades title.

I got my Ace of Spades in a Wolfhound of all things.

#15 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

For a returning player most of the stuff is repeat in the tutorials section, but it did have some solid stuff in there... as in I'm ridding my Cplt of LRM20s immediately after seeing DPS of 15+5 is insane compared to 20s.

I do appreciate the advice thrown at me, a lot of the specific stuff is helpful(Daxion), especially regarding my mechs that are not the same as older gens.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

try the Hunchback,

it can be built for almost any role, each variant excels in one type of play.

the 4G, 4H and GI all have balistics and lasers, the 4J and 4SP mount missiles and lasers, the 4P has 9 laser hardpoints, the first Hunchback will cost about 8 million total (basic purchase cost + Endo+ DHS+ STD engine 250 (same speed as Clan heavies) or 275), later HBKs can reuse the engine you get for the first, so cost about 6 million (purchase cost, Endo+DHS) they will also teach you to twist to spread damage and use a shield side, as all but the 4SP have a RT hunch containing most of your weapons. there are few MEchs which can get a good build cheaper than the HBKs if you are short on cash

#17 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

View Postspartync, on 30 December 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Just finished my first week...

A few thoughts:

Very astute advice for only playing a week. This deserves it's own thread!

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostJax Endsleigh, on 30 December 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

For a returning player most of the stuff is repeat in the tutorials section, but it did have some solid stuff in there... as in I'm ridding my Cplt of LRM20s immediately after seeing DPS of 15+5 is insane compared to 20s.

I do appreciate the advice thrown at me, a lot of the specific stuff is helpful(Daxion), especially regarding my mechs that are not the same as older gens.

NP as my favorite little gnome says... "Happy to help!" 100 points if anyone can name that reference.. I'll give ya a hint.. its an oldie

But yes, the 15+5 thing has been an issue for a while, BUT, things in LRM's have just changed, meaning a tighter grouping, though honestly i have not played any of my LRM mechs since the change, i do hear it has helped. I don't own the A1 so i wouldn't do it, going missile boat only on the C4 just is not my cup of tea. the C4 has LRM 20 quirks, and the C1 LRM15 quirks which speed up the firing and can change the whole DPS numbers.. The quirked C4, can typically fire 2-3 salvo's almost like a chain before it runs to hot and your target has moved to cover.. same with the 15's on the C1.

the A1 on the other hand has all generic quirks that are smaller, so they actually learn towards the faster recycle missiles. I know some people really like the 6x LRM5's, and use chain fire, or fire in groups of 3. so you could give it a try.. but again needs that XL engine.. (ps.. did i mention buy an XL? Posted Image )

#19 Chatin The Skunk

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

6 kills, 25 assists...

Getting the hang of it again ._.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor