Help Me

31 replies to this topic

#21 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

No answer to the "BEST" mech but you already have 3 good ones in TBR, TDR, and QKD. Personally I prefer the QKD out of those but all three are absolutely capable of dominating.

However, if I HAD to choose only one mech it would be the HELLBRINGER! Same speed as TBR, ECM, lasers all over, or lasers + Gauss. (Even has missile slots but I ain't no LRaMer!)

Edit: Ok just checked my stats and the TBR was 180 games with 2.94 KDR and the HBR was 130 games with 2.87 KDR. Big caveat here though is that I played 90%+ of those TBR and HBR games over a year ago when I was an active member of a group, so those numbers are from Group Queue and before nerfs to the TBR. I did play some HBR lately in Solo Queue though.

My TDR and QKD stats are under 100 games each and KD of around 1.5. Those are all solo queue games though within the last 6 months or so.

This all leads me to say the HBR is MY BEST mech

Edited by Moomtazz, 01 January 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#22 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

My own initial runs with the trial Timber were decent but not amazing, so I sorta had your 'what's up with the Timber love?' reaction as well.

I always end up doing a lot of research when I run into surprises like that, this is what I turned up:

-Like all mechs, you really need to 'elite' it across 3 variants to make it shine with the extra bonuses.
-Modules help a lot also (range modules help the smaller/cooler lasers a lot, or cooldown for the ACs)
-Need to be good at damage spreading - because big honkin' center torso.
-Apparently there are tricks with the JJ that allow damage spreading/avoiding
-The whole 'fast hot high burst damage' Clan style is a specific way of playing that takes some getting used to.
-The Timber is all about 'flexibility', you need to learn to exploit that. For instance, in one of my drops, a Timber used speed, JJs, and high alpha to basically climb a platform, drop behind my assault King Crab, and core out my rear CT in seconds, jumped over me/the rocks in front as I fell, and was back with his team. Not many other heavies would be handy at that.

#23 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 01 January 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

However, if I HAD to choose only one mech it would be the HELLBRINGER! Same speed as TBR, ECM, lasers all over, or lasers + Gauss. (Even has missile slots but I ain't no LRaMer!)

Funny you should say that. I just acquired my third TBR variant (gonna master it real soon) and the HBR is the next 'Mech on my shopping list.

Guess I just have a thing for fast heavies ;)

#24 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 01 January 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Also , how come none is mentioning the Orion IIc?
That thing is a powerhouse when used right, both for dual ballistic and for srm boating , it's not much of an laser boat and can't jump but it has good hitboxes and so much space for weapons with ok hardpoint locations.
While it's not wide spread as part of an preorder pack it seems it might make it to comp level play.

I think its just too new and not enough people have gotten their bearings on it. What are the good builds for it right now?

#25 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 01 January 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Also , how come none is mentioning the Orion IIc?
That thing is a powerhouse when used right, both for dual ballistic and for srm boating , it's not much of an laser boat and can't jump but it has good hitboxes and so much space for weapons with ok hardpoint locations.
While it's not wide spread as part of an preorder pack it seems it might make it to comp level play.

It's a good mech, but it has bad hitboxes. I'm willing to go as far as saying it's got worse hitboxes than the regular Orion, which was my favorite clan buster during wave 1 and 2.

I personally am waiting to see someone do a dual Gauss with it (need a STD 300 for that), for lulz.

#26 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 January 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

It's a good mech, but it has bad hitboxes. I'm willing to go as far as saying it's got worse hitboxes than the regular Orion, which was my favorite clan buster during wave 1 and 2.

I personally am waiting to see someone do a dual Gauss with it (need a STD 300 for that), for lulz.

Is dual gauss still viable with the reduced cycle rate?

PS - something like this is what you had in mind?

ON1-IIC-C 2xGauss

Or maybe this with a little more close range self defense:

ON1-IIC-C 2xGauss 2xSRM6

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 01 January 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#27 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

View PostTetule, on 01 January 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Oh and maybe i cant talk much because im half newbie,but i tested some IS mechs and noone do the incredible good work that provide me the Nova.

I'm not gonna lie, but your gonna be spoilt for fast IS mechs. Now, downgear that engine some, and try some heaftier weaponry and it may feel... adequate. I find dual uac5s works for IS.

~Leone.

#28 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 01 January 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

I'd say the Timberwolf is not quite as strong as it used to be due to balance changes. Still one of the best, but it shares the title with others. Clan laser ranges were nerfed across the board. The Champion build seems to work quite well though, and that's the sort of laser vomit builds I tend to see.

You know it is funny... everyone complains about clan nerfs... But i just started a clan account.. and have almost 200 matches at this point.. and the timber is my best mech.. I rocketed to tier 3.. (the same place as my IS account with 3500 drops) and is my best mech... My second best is the TDR-5SS brawler, which you know with quirks is one of the best IS mechs in the game.. To me, the Timber is even better over all.. the TDR does brawl better though, but ya gotta get close.

#29 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

TBR is very strong with
4xCERML/2xCLBX-5, this combo runs cooler than full laser vomit builds. Use the 2JJs to poptart.
4xCERML/2xCLRM20, has both direct and indirect weapons and can use both at the same time.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 01 January 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#30 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Best mech is a difficult question, personally I'd break it up by class.

For me,
Assault: Banshee 3M (Wubshee) & Dwolf
Heavy: Tied Twolf & Tbolt
Medium: Stormcrow & Blackjack 1X
Light: Firestarter & Arctic Cheetah

#31 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 01 January 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Is dual gauss still viable with the reduced cycle rate?

PS - something like this is what you had in mind?

ON1-IIC-C 2xGauss

Or maybe this with a little more close range self defense:

ON1-IIC-C 2xGauss 2xSRM6

More like this

ON1-IIC-C

#32 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 02 January 2016 - 08:28 PM, said: