I Didn't Have A Single Frozen City Game Last Night.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

"Only You can prevent forest fires."

Same goes for excessive frozen city. Thank you all for finally toning it down a notch.

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

nice :)

I think people are getting sick of the same thing over and over, I've been seeing a lot of conquest and even some Mordor lately. We knee jerk changes to the game a lot on these forums. Things tend to get better after a month or two.

#3 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

You must have been in the Twilight Zone. I had nothing but Frozen City and Alpine Peaks yesterday. :(

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

Meanwhile, every other game I had was on Frozen...

Sometimes it's like that, sometimes it ain't. Swing that vote!

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 31 December 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

You must have been in the Twilight Zone. I had nothing but Frozen City and Alpine Peaks yesterday. :(

OMG, I would kill for a game of Alpine! I have not dropped there in weeks, kind of miss it.

#6 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

What works for me is to pick one map that is unpopular, but you like and always vote for it whenever it comes up. Eventually you build up a multiplier so that you can force the issue about every 8-10 games. This ensures you get your map enough, but not so much that you get sick of it.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

It's because people think they're unique hipsters when they build up a huge multiplier for maps and modes that most people hate...even though a lot of people actually do it, which makes it the norm instead of special.

#8 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 31 December 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

nice Posted Image

I think people are getting sick of the same thing over and over, I've been seeing a lot of conquest and even some Mordor lately. We knee jerk changes to the game a lot on these forums. Things tend to get better after a month or two.

as with any balance change, if you want to see how it's truly going to work, you have to give it a few weeks depending on population size.
The whole "Ehr meh gerd, I got killed by (insert latest buffed weapon here) so it's OP now, nerf it!" is not how you balance and thankfully those people aren't in charge of balancing.

View PostFupDup, on 31 December 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

It's because people think they're unique hipsters when they build up a huge multiplier for maps and modes that most people hate...even though a lot of people actually do it, which makes it the norm instead of special.

not really, because in order to build up that "huge" multiplier, they aren't getting the map they wanted which means everyone else did.

Let's be real here.

Map voting "exploit" equates to tanking votes on anywhere from 4-10 maps so you can heavily influence one match before starting over.
That means every 45 minutes to an hour and a half they get to "choose" the map they want. Provided they don't get burnt trying to manipulate their multiplier and have to start over again.

That's the basis, reality, and honesty of what the "exploit" for the map voting system is.

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

Also, it resets after 8x. I had an 8x multiplier, voted Caustic (shutup!), got Forest Colony. Next vote round, I was back down to 1x.

:(

#10 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 December 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

Also, it resets after 8x. I had an 8x multiplier, voted Caustic (shutup!), got Forest Colony. Next vote round, I was back down to 1x.

Posted Image

it's 12 actually

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 December 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

it's 12 actually

Well, then it must've hiccupped, because it definitely reset after 8x. And this is with no interruptions in the game, ruling out the server crash that happened last night.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 December 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

Well, then it must've hiccupped, because it definitely reset after 8x. And this is with no interruptions in the game, ruling out the server crash that happened last night.

It's possible, I've seen it capped at 12 with a unit member though, he hit 12, saved it, then lost it on the next map because it reset IIRC
That's the highest I've seen personally.

#13 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostFupDup, on 31 December 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

There is a lot of "special" around here.

#14 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 December 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

as with any balance change, if you want to see how it's truly going to work, you have to give it a few weeks depending on population size.
The whole "Ehr meh gerd, I got killed by (insert latest buffed weapon here) so it's OP now, nerf it!" is not how you balance and thankfully those people aren't in charge of balancing.

not really, because in order to build up that "huge" multiplier, they aren't getting the map they wanted which means everyone else did.

Let's be real here.

Map voting "exploit" equates to tanking votes on anywhere from 4-10 maps so you can heavily influence one match before starting over.
That means every 45 minutes to an hour and a half they get to "choose" the map they want. Provided they don't get burnt trying to manipulate their multiplier and have to start over again.

That's the basis, reality, and honesty of what the "exploit" for the map voting system is.

The best part is, these people are basically just a "randomizer" that ensure the common maps don't happen all the time.

To be fair, however, the "exploiting" process isn't by getting maps other than the one you want. It's by voting for maps you don't want but know won't win when a map you DO want to win is already winning. Same idea with game modes.

Of course, that's not really a problem either: You very quickly build a multiplier that has too much influence, at which point you just force the map you do want, or some random map anyways.

So, this system is no worse than random, and better than random in that you can be SURE you will get the map/modes you want at least some of the time. In a truly random system, there's no guarantee of that.

#15 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 December 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

I played with it for a bit for fun, and never managed to make it past 8, but I've heard many people get 9-12. That's second hand, though, so obviously I can't confirm it, but I believe it's true.

I never make it past 8, because at that point you're nearly representing a whole team. It's hard to not win what you vote for there, particularly these days where there' s a lot more quasi random voting... Or at least, "Oh, god, at least no more Frozen City!"

Personally, though, I rarely see Frozen City:Skirmish, and even less Alpine.

My observations have been very surely that the most common maps are the better maps to play on, with no relation to temperature. Tourmaline is easily the most common map i see, by a large margin. After that? HPG/Mining Base/River City are all more frequent than Frozen City.

I get a lot of conquest, too, but if Conquest is an option, I vote for it; if it isn't an option I vote for whichever is losing to build multiplier (because I don't really care about assault/skirmish either way). Exception: Terra Therma. I hate Conquest on Terra Therma.

#16 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

It would help if they put mining collective and hpg on the vote screen once in awhile instead of crap, crap, frozen city, crap.

#17 Retrospectus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

I've getting pretty much river city, canyon and bog consistently. thankfully I like bog and canyon.

also sitting on an 11x multiplier, once I had a significant modifier I realised I was pretty cool with most of the maps and never felt the need to force the issue

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users