Working With The Huginn?

27 replies to this topic

#1 xtase

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

I bought the Huginn during the sale (along with the Jester, Arrow, Firebrand, Misery and Steam Light Pack).

I saw on the http://metamechs.com/ site that it was a decent mech, but right now I can't really make it work. It's supposedly good with SRM6s, I feel like I'dd be doing more damage with machine guns. On the flip side I do 700 damage with the stock 3L(S) from the light pack.

It's not like the Arrow where it can't do much with machine guns, but I can just strip the machine guns and put on 3 LPL and wait for a machine gun buff (can't really fit anything else on it).

Feels like SRMs are like LBXs, okay damage but it's too spread.

And I can't imagine using it over a "hero" 3L. I'm tempted to seek a MC-refund.

Anyone else use the Huginn? What kind of setup do you use?

#2 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

SRM 4s not 6s as far as I know.

Didn't see that it was changed to 25% general missiles from 30% SRM4.

Still 5% more cooldown with SRM4 puts it at 30% and 10% with module leaves your two SRM4s firing at almost double the normal rate.

Edited by Xetelian, 31 December 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#3 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

It was a good mech but it's been nerfed into the ground the srm4 fire rate is gone.

The way i used it was twin srm4 and a single jj, stripped out armour and guns from the arms and ran srm4 cooldown mod.

Now the thing to do is srm6 either with or without artemus which ever you prefer, i favour more ammo so do not use artemus. I still strip the arms and run a single jj.

This was how i ran the mech before quirks introduction so i have returned to that as without the fire rate srm4 lacks punch. Removing the guns was a big change for me and improved my performance in huginn because the mg leads you to stay fixed on a target when you should be doing more footwork.

Edited by sneeking, 31 December 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#4 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

No one wants to try my troll build huginn. Lrm10/5 6 tons of ammo, bap, 127 kph. My average has dropped over time, but its still close to 450 damage. That's an actual average, not a guess. 2. kdr and 1.7 w/l.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

I tried pulling my huggin out after the last nerf but it was so bad i stripped it of everything. I used to run srm4+artemis with a little smaller than max engine to get more ammo.

If you can get your mc back i would. Maybe go with the oxide. Its not a great mech but its better than the huggin for srm light.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 31 December 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#6 xtase

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Can't hit anything that moves with a SRM4 though, and the damage is low with 2 of them. The Huginn and the Arrow both seem to be a waste of MC, both designed to use machine guns, a weapon completely useless.

Me and this other enemy Huginn just circled each other for 5 minutes shooting SRMs at each other without much effect.

LRM Huginn sounds like fun, I'll try it out

Edited by xtase, 31 December 2015 - 08:54 PM.

#7 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

View Postsneeking, on 31 December 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Removing the guns was a big change for me and improved my performance in huginn because the mg leads you to stay fixed on a target when you should be doing more footwork.

I actually sold my Huginn I was so pissed at it. I found that the SRM4 fire rate necessitates being stuck on target just like the MGs. I had so much better luck with a SRM 3L.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

@OP: Unless you're a die-hard Raven player, like me, you should definitely consider asking for a refund. The Huginn was a bad mech when it was released, then it was OP for a while, then it was good, and now it is relatively bad. Its advantages over an Oxide or Jenner IIC are basically none. 4 MGs would have been an advantage, except PGI nerfed them and we may never see good MGs again for this game.

At the rate PGI is adjusting quirks, it could be a long time before the Huginn is actually on par with the Jenner IIC as a light mech SRM-carrier. You can equip 2xAC2 or 2xLRM10, but you can also do that with the RVN-4X and RVN-3L respectively. So unless you have a fanatical love of Ravens, I'd say it makes more sense to ask for a refund and buy a hero mech that is currently useful, instead of waiting the 3-12 months it may take for PGI to buff the Huginn to the point where it's an interesting alternative to the Oxide or Jenner IIC.

View PostZenFool, on 31 December 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

No one wants to try my troll build huginn. Lrm10/5 6 tons of ammo, bap, 127 kph. My average has dropped over time, but its still close to 450 damage. That's an actual average, not a guess. 2. kdr and 1.7 w/l.

Actually, I run 2xLRM10 on my RVN-3L, so I guess that's an ok build. Certainly a troll build. Very few players, if anyone, can maintain a 1.7 W/L record with any mech if they're only pugging. Let alone a troll build like this. So I don't put too much stock in those stats, really. But I can confirm that it's an ok build.

#9 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

I've only been running it like that for the last three weeks, and its slowly going down...But I have had so much fun! The way you can peek along a ridge, frustrate players, and generally wreak havoc is amazing. I am very active in match and "absorb" plenty of damage in missed shots by peeved players. 1170 lrms is enough if your careful with your shots, though damage with arty has capped out for me at 824.

#10 xtase

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

I tried 2 matches with 2x LRM5, 1000 shots, and a BAP, but I couldn't break 250 damage, even with constant firing.

I sent an e-mail to support asking for a MC refund of the Huginn & Arrow (it's in the same boat).

I feel bad giving up on both those mechs, but I much rather play my Raven-3L(S) (aka Hero) or my Hunchback 4SP over them. It's just wasted MC right now, which makes me regret it even more.

Fudge, I feel like a baddie for giving up.

Edited by xtase, 31 December 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

View Postadamts01, on 31 December 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

I actually sold my Huginn I was so pissed at it. I found that the SRM4 fire rate necessitates being stuck on target just like the MGs. I had so much better luck with a SRM 3L.

Selling Hero mechs cause of quirk changes?

Posted Image

#12 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 December 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Selling Hero mechs cause of quirk changes?

Posted Image

That was when it had great quirks, I just hated the mech. I got a decent amount of $ and a mech bay.... so, whatever.

#13 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

You just need to play a bit differently. If they have a clear shot on you, your not doing it right. If they have no shot on you, your not doing it right. I didn't say it was autowin or even meta, just a lot of fun. Pretty much the only way to have fun with it these days.

#14 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

View Postadamts01, on 31 December 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

That was when it had great quirks, I just hated the mech. I got a decent amount of $ and a mech bay.... so, whatever.

You know that mechbay was already one of yours right? They don't give you a mechbay with a hero, the only way to do that is with a mastery pack.

I'd never sell my Pretty Baby or my Boar's Head, I liked them before quirks even existed and though they are rather pathetic I do enjoy them.

Huginn with 40% cooldown SRM4/6 +artemis still shreds back armor, doesn't dog fight as well as it used too but if you get behind anyone you can clear them out pretty quick.

Get the refund for both the Arrow and the Huginn, you don't need a RVN H when you have a (S) 3L and the 2X and 4X both seem better.

#15 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

I like the Huginn, better than a Commando at least lol.

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostXetelian, on 31 December 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

You know that mechbay was already one of yours right? They don't give you a mechbay with a hero, the only way to do that is with a mastery pack.

That sucks, another reason not to spend real $ on this game. I'd been playing the 3L since ECM came out and loved the idea of a hero Raven. But it didn't suit me. Not saying it was a smart decision. But I was happy to lose the $5 to never see than mech in my stable again.

#17 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,991 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

I bought my Huginn Dec 2014 for CW man was that thing a monster took down a DW in like 4 or 5 sec

I knew enough not to say anything but it got nerfed a week or so later

Then it’s been slowly going downhill since

It’s pretty much a one trick pony, a good light pilot can do well but that’s not me
Once I figured out that I died 70% of the time I stopped using it

I won’t sell it because my best MWO fights have been in the Huginn
Picture a WWII dog fight light Mech against light Mech lasting almost a min

Me padlocked on the tail of a mist lynx ---great fun

#18 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

View Postxtase, on 31 December 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

Can't hit anything that moves with a SRM4 though, and the damage is low with 2 of them. The Huginn and the Arrow both seem to be a waste of MC, both designed to use machine guns, a weapon completely useless.

Me and this other enemy Huginn just circled each other for 5 minutes shooting SRMs at each other without much effect.

LRM Huginn sounds like fun, I'll try it out

Build the arrow like the champion blackjack (ac20, 3mlas, jj) and it's fine

Huginn was always junk for me too, I just let mine gather dust

Edited by NextGame, 01 January 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#19 Mothermoy

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:19 AM

View PostZenFool, on 31 December 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

i like you!!! i do the exact same thing with my Hugginn and lurve itl Its a dangerous little beast with these Lurms!

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

Might I suggest AC20 HUGINN?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users