- - - - -

Pre-Requisites For Cw?

22 replies to this topic

#21 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Thats more of an advanced drop tactic for a premade team, usually a unit. Is he in a unit already?

I just think if he's a solo pug newbie he will get griefed for starting off with lights and won't enjoy it.

At least thats what I see solo pugging - they get chewed out for starting with lights and/or bringing LRM builds.

#22 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 02 January 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

Thats more of an advanced drop tactic for a premade team, usually a unit. Is he in a unit already?

I just think if he's a solo pug newbie he will get griefed for starting off with lights and won't enjoy it.

At least thats what I see solo pugging - they get chewed out for starting with lights and/or bringing LRM builds.

Sometimes, even as while dropping solo, you will run into people that will take charge, or maybe a premade that will ask the team to do something. So he doesn't need to be in a unit for them to ask him to coordinate with them.

#23 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 02 January 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

You really only need 2 mastered mechs, because the "elite" teams are going to spawncamp your 3rd and 4th mechs and farm them for points. Those last two mechs will be dead before they hit the ground.

You can never know what you're up against until the match starts, so why plan for a loss? Might as well just play quick match.

So I advise mastering 2 heavies or assaults and placing them in your first 2 waves...

If you mean "master" in the sense of player skill, then yes I absolutely agree. The player should be 100% fluid with their mechs before bringing them up against the big boys.
However if you mean "master efficiencies"... You don't need to master any mechs at all for CW.
Master efficiencies give you an extra module slot, nothing more. New players starting in CW almost certainly won't have modules, and they'll probably run the risk spending the GXP unwisely. I do okay in CW and I assure you, the thing keeping me back is low tonnage, not a sudden need for modules.

On the other hand, all basic efficiencies are an absolute must, and I would go as far as to say all elite efficiencies too.

...and trial mechs for the last two.

Trial mechs? In CW? Only if they're treated like sacrificial meat shields and decoys to help the players with 'real' mechs win the fight. Sure... Running a trial Atlas into a brawl will help your team get some key shots in while the enemy rip you apart, but that's not really why anyone would ever choose to play any online game...?

If someone doesn't have 4 decent mechs of their own, they're just not ready for CW.
I have 3 elite-maxed Locusts, 3 elite-maxed Hunchbacks, and now 2 Zeuses, and despite winning various CW matches, I still don't feel truly ready for it yet!

TLDR:
Minimum 3 elite-maxed variants (can be same chassis), and a 4th basic-maxed mech to push/pull the tonnage up/down within the 160-265 limits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users