25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

Already emailed support, but you folks are faster

I'm getting an unknown error upon login with my new TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E. Unknown error occurs after logging into steam, entering username and password, and the error occurs in while connecting and sends me back to the MWO login screen. Disabling the new wifi card and replacing it with the old (failing) USB wifi adapter fixes the issue, so it's an issue with the new card and some setting somewhere. New card connects fine to the internet in general. Any thoughts?

CPU specs for reference:
intel i7 930 @ 3.4 ghz
EVGA gtx 750 1 gb
12 gb DDR3 ram @ 1600
240 gb SSD
1 TB 7200 HD
650w psu
Win 7 home 64 bit

Edited by Big Tin Man, 01 January 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#2 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

Nothing? Nobody?

I fiddled with some of the settings in device manager properties relating to power management based on some very old info here, and got it to connect to for a while, but after 2 games it dropped me upon exit with unknown error. My gut feeling is that it's timing out on something. Some protocol timing out. Anybody?

#3 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

I recall there was an issue with wifi cards timing out but cannot recall exactly what it was. Tried googling it?

#4 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Support emailed back asking me to check my DNS settings. I didn't think they'd vary by device on the same machine, but it's worth looking at.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 04 January 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Support emailed back asking me to check my DNS settings. I didn't think they'd vary by device on the same machine, but it's worth looking at.

Im no Network engineer, but if it were DNS settings i'd expect you to have other issues than just MWO.
If the old card fixes the issue..i'd say perhaps the new one is poor quality/faulty

One of the poor reviews on Newegg, lists Wifi drop outs as a problem..new card problem solved.

Edited by DV McKenna, 04 January 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#6 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 04 January 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Im no Network engineer, but if it were DNS settings i'd expect you to have other issues than just MWO.
If the old card fixes the issue..i'd say perhaps the new one is poor quality/faulty

One of the poor reviews on Newegg, lists Wifi drop outs as a problem..new card problem solved.

What is bizarre is that I'm on TS talking with my group while not connecting to MWO. The card isn't dropping out (completely) and shows strong signal, but maybe a lagging authentication on loading or post-match due to poor routing/slow lookup is triggering the unknown error. Will experiment with it once I'm home from work. Thought this was a decent card for the price point and generally favorable reviews.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 04 January 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

What is bizarre is that I'm on TS talking with my group while not connecting to MWO. The card isn't dropping out (completely) and shows strong signal, but maybe a lagging authentication on loading or post-match due to poor routing/slow lookup is triggering the unknown error. Will experiment with it once I'm home from work. Thought this was a decent card for the price point and generally favorable reviews.

Any hardware is susceptible to faults

#8 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

Any other tests you can think of to run? It seems to work on everything except MWO.

I've never had bad luck with a faulty component out of the box, but there's a first time for everything.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

So here's an idea: there are a lot of things that can happen when you add an interface.

Have you confirmed that Windows Firewall configuration (and any other AV/firewall suite) has not changed since you added the card?

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the USB adapter after removing it? Likewise, have you tried finding the latest drivers for the new card and installing them?

Did you install whatever management suite came with the card? If so, have you looking at the configuration? Have you tried removing it and using just the driver?

#10 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Seems to me that there is a setting that you had on the old card but not the new, like MWO setting up a specific port that did not get changed to the new card. Might be other things but since the only software having issues is MWO I'd say that is the cause not the new wifi.

Simply put, run diagnostics, or if that fails, reinstall

#11 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 04 January 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

So here's an idea: there are a lot of things that can happen when you add an interface.

Have you confirmed that Windows Firewall configuration (and any other AV/firewall suite) has not changed since you added the card?

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the USB adapter after removing it? Likewise, have you tried finding the latest drivers for the new card and installing them?

Did you install whatever management suite came with the card? If so, have you looking at the configuration? Have you tried removing it and using just the driver?

1. Will check firewall, did not think that settings would change on an adapter by adapter basis, but it could be possible.
2. Did not uninstall drivers for USB adapter yet (could create issue for sure), just pulled out the USB stick and assumed it wouldn't be running. Running latest drivers for new card.
3. First run I didn't have the management suite installed and MWO didn't run. Then installed the management suite thinking that could be the issue. Updated the version as well. Looked at config, don't see anything that is a smoking gun, but not certain what exactly to look for.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Well, there are a few of things to think about here.

The first is that you're going from a USB bus adapter to a PCIe bus adapter.

The second is that Windows has its history of funny things happening when adding and subtracting things from the network stack.

The third is that the new interface will definitely have its own IPv4/IPv6/etc settings so anything else that hooks into the network stack could have applied a new set of defaults or something. Anything that touches network traffic or network processing could be the culprit.

Here's another thing to think about I guess: you say you have the latest drivers. Are these the latest from the manufacturer, or the latest according to Windows Update (via the Device Manager)? Have you tried uninstalling the driver and management suite and just letting Windows figure it out?

#13 mechnut450

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 112 posts
  • Locationusa baby

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

I would say look into removing the usb drivers ( and related software) and set your pci card up. I had issues with swapping out a stock mouse to a gaming mouse cause of changes made by the software. I took the time and reinstalled MWO and never had a issue. ( but I got a lot of pc issues that are popping up( 5+ year old system lol )

#14 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

and the winner is... port forwarding? WTF?

Further talks with support and they suggested I open up TCP 45461 and 45464 in my router and that was it. Strange I didn't need it on the old wifi stick or on a wired connection, but there you go.

#15 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 January 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

port forwarding? WTF?

Without sounding as a 'wiseacre'. As I said earlier, port settings specific to the wireless adapter that gets communicated to the router might go away when you change it. The ports usually gets established when installing the game, changing adapter without reinstall might not transfer the used ports. I guess portforwarding might be quicker than reinstalling though.

Edited by Euklides, 05 January 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#16 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostEuklides, on 05 January 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Without sounding as a 'wiseacre'. As I said earlier, port settings specific to the wireless adapter that gets communicated to the router might go away when you change it. The ports usually gets established when installing the game, changing adapter without reinstall might not transfer the used ports. I guess portforwarding might be easier than reinstalling though.

Are you implying that MWO opened those ports on its own during the initial install? That doesn't make a ton of sense as it was my router that was blocking it, not anything in the computer. The windows firewall still had the MWO permissions set from before, so nothing appeared to change there. But there's a lot about networking that doesn't make sense to me, specifically wifi. I'm genuinely curious why this would happen.

All I know is I've been doing port forwarding in the router since Warcraft 2 days, and I never had to do it for MWO until last night. I'm setup on my desktop and laptop, and I've played all over the place on my laptop. Probably connected the laptop and played on 20+ networks without issue.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 January 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Are you implying that MWO opened those ports on its own during the initial install? That doesn't make a ton of sense as it was my router that was blocking it, not anything in the computer. The windows firewall still had the MWO permissions set from before, so nothing appeared to change there. But there's a lot about networking that doesn't make sense to me, specifically wifi. I'm genuinely curious why this would happen.

All I know is I've been doing port forwarding in the router since Warcraft 2 days, and I never had to do it for MWO until last night. I'm setup on my desktop and laptop, and I've played all over the place on my laptop. Probably connected the laptop and played on 20+ networks without issue.

Port forwarding is generally a thing of the past, no modern games require it to be to play online thanks to NAT and UPNP.

Typically ports only need to be opened if your hosting something say like a TeamSpeak server from home.

#18 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

Although port forwarding solved this particular problem I would not say that there is some other underlying issue. If you never opened ports on your router for the old USB, MWO will not open ports itself, that's just nonsense.

I am thinking that the real fix would be to uninstall the USB drivers and remove all instances of it in the registry first, then rebuild your TCP/IP stack and flush your DNS. MWO should not mysteriously need port forwarding with the new wifi. If that was the case, any time somebody comes over with a laptop and plays a game you would have to forward the ports to them as well. Plus, port forwarding puts too much exposure on your PC, since it in essence opens up your PC on those ports directly to the net.

Use CCleaner to get rid of all registry entries of the old USB. Then do the following from a command prompt:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

/ipconfig flushdns

Also, what AV software do you use? Is it possible a pop up was dismissed or you selected the wrong option the first time you connected?

#19 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostGolrar, on 05 January 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

Although port forwarding solved this particular problem I would not say that there is some other underlying issue. If you never opened ports on your router for the old USB, MWO will not open ports itself, that's just nonsense.
(snip)

Agreed, I didn't think opening ports would be necessary either but I'll be damned if it didn't work.

To the rest of your points:
* USB software was uninstalled, machine rebooted. I have not manually gone through the reg to make sure it is all gone, I will check.
* When you say rebuild TCP/IP stack, do you mean to do a ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew? I did that after USB software uninstalled
* DNS was flushed after USB software uninstalled. Will flush again after reg check
* Just using Windows defender for AV, have not seen a pop up from it in recent memory

@DV--Last time I needed to setup some port forwarding was for Diablo 3 at launch, but Blizzard clearly stated it was necessary for Battle.net.

Any thoughts on just uninstall/reinstalling MWO? I could just set it to download tonight when I go to bed.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 06 January 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#20 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 January 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yes that is what I imply, most games do the portforwarding for us these days. I will not pretend to know the details of this issue that you had, because I don't. I've only got knowledge from previous issues I've had similar to yours.
The wireless adapters can open ports on the routers in order to do the menial tasks that is portforwarding, my bet is that MWO upon install communicated what ports it wanted to the adapter, the adapter then proceeded to set these. Then upon removal of the old adapters all settings associated with the it was removed, as the new adapter most likely was identified differently by the router.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users