I Want Mad Cat Mk2

111 replies to this topic

#1 Knight Phaeton

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

I want it so much... So beautiful and shiny assault. Please, please, create it in the following Clan Waves!

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

You can have it after I get my Raptor.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,226 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostKnight Phaeton, on 03 January 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

I want it so much... So beautiful and shiny assault. Please, please, create it in the following Clan Waves!

Unfortunately, it's from 3066. Now we are in early 3050s.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

Timeline. :(

#5 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

I also want my sleek, fast, jumping capable "deadly" Assault!

BTW these thread need a pic:

Posted Image

Probably will look bad without those missile racks.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

I want the Cougar! God damn, I want the Cougar!

An omnimech had a baby with a god damn fighter jet! It's going to be slow, but it's going to have an insane amount of firepower. There's a Cougar variant that has a gauss rifle! No big deal? Well, it also has five frickin CERMLs as "backup weapons". That's the same armament you see on Gargoyles and Executioners!

Oh hello, I'm a flying 35 ton mech with 50 point alpha strike.

Spoiler

#7 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

lets resurrect this thread in 16 years

#8 Bushmaster0

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 January 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

I want the Cougar! God damn, I want the Cougar!

An omnimech had a baby with a god damn fighter jet! It's going to be slow, but it's going to have an insane amount of firepower. There's a Cougar variant that has a gauss rifle! No big deal? Well, it also has five frickin CERMLs as "backup weapons". That's the same armament you see on Gargoyles and Executioners!

Oh hello, I'm a flying 35 ton mech with 50 point alpha strike.

Spoiler

The Coug doesn't get JJs until the Alternate H variant.

Also, their firepower isn't "insane," it only gets +1.5 tons of pod space over the Adder (18 vs. 16.5) in exchange for even lower agility/mobility and quite potentially worse hitboxes. Fewer Trudubs actually "removes" the efficiency of almost 1 DHS from you, so it's more like only +0.5 tons.

You also get lower hardpoints on nearly every variant, because there aren't really many side-torso direct-fire hardpoints that I know of (it's all in arms or head except for missiles). Only the Alternate E gets 1E hardpoint per side torso, so expect to see nearly everybody using those pods.

---

For that Gauss + 5 ERML variant, good luck trying to keep that heat efficiency even remotely manageable. Having only a 175 engine (that means 3 PoorDubs) makes it that much worse... And you won't get much ammo either. And your stock armor is short of maximum by 1 ton, making you even more fragile than usual.

Assuming the gold standard of 3 tons of Gauss ammo and maxed armor, that means the most "optimal" versions of that build will be something like 3 ERML or 4-6 ERSL as your backup guns.

---

TL;DR: The base/core chassis of the Cougar is actually less efficient than the base/core chassis of the Adder. The bar wasn't even set high to begin with...

Edited by FupDup, 03 January 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostBushmaster0, on 03 January 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 January 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

The Coug doesn't get JJs until the Alternate H variant.

That's a pity. I remember them so fondly from MW4.

View PostFupDup, on 03 January 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Also, their firepower isn't "insane," it only gets +1.5 tons of pod space over the Adder (18 vs. 16.5) in exchange for even lower agility/mobility and quite potentially worse hitboxes. Fewer Trudubs actually "removes" the efficiency of almost 1 DHS from you, so it's more like only +0.5 tons. You also get lower hardpoints on nearly every variant, because there aren't really many side-torso direct-fire hardpoints that I know of (it's all in arms or head except for missiles). Only the Alternate E gets 1E hardpoint per side torso, so expect to see nearly everybody using those pods. For that Gauss + 5 ERML variant, good luck trying to keep that heat efficiency even remotely manageable. Having only a 175 engine (that means 3 PoorDubs) makes it that much worse... And you won't get much ammo either. And your stock armor is short of maximum by 1 ton, making you even more fragile than usual. Assuming the gold standard of 3 tons of Gauss ammo and maxed armor, that means the most "optimal" versions of that build will be something like 3 ERML or 4-6 ERSL as your backup guns. TL;DR: The base/core chassis of the Cougar is actually less efficient than the base/core chassis of the Adder. The bar wasn't even set high to begin with...

So you're saying there are drawbacks to a 35 ton mech with 18 tons of weaponry and an XL175 engine?

Mind = blown.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 January 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

That's a pity. I remember them so fondly from MW4.

MW4 took a lot of liberties with a lot of mechs...

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 January 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

So you're saying there are drawbacks to a 35 ton mech with 18 tons of weaponry and an XL175 engine?

Mind = blown.

The word "drawback" implies that there is some kind of exchange or give-and-take involved.

If the amount of reward gained for the amount of risk was proportional, you might have a point. But in this exchange, you arguably lose more than you gain. Higher risk, lower reward.

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 January 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

The word "drawback" implies that there is some kind of exchange or give-and-take involved.
If the amount of reward gained for the amount of risk was proportional, you might have a point. But in this exchange, you arguably lose more than you gain. Higher risk, lower reward.

At this point, I'm not sure what you're doing, Fup. Did you get the sense from my hyperbole above that I'm actually convinced this mech will be a top tier mech for MWO? Even given my last post, where I pointed to the XL175? Are you trying to educate me about the perils of driving a 90 kph light mech in MWO? You're going out of your way to point out the obvious. And to top it off, this semantic analysis of the word drawback, which doesn't even make any sense. What's going on?

I'm excited about the Cougar. I don't need anyone to point out the obvious. It's an F-15 crossed with an Adder, with an absurd amount of weapons for a mech its size. That's good enough for me.

#14 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Someone call imperius...

Also, fun fact, the timeline is effectively meaningless, and there's really no good reason not to implement all the awesome fedcom civil war toys, clan or IS.

See these kinds of limiters work great in the tabletop because its easy to jump between rule sets there. Also they work great in the story because they give the story a sort of realism, even if the production cycle on new mechs doesn't really even match the cycle on modern tanks and aircraft. But in a game like this, its often just used as an excuse for people on forums to curse at eachother because "its not 3064 you cant have your thing" or its used as an excuse by paul to say "out of timeline,we arent making the things" which is silly because making things is literally PGI's job and if they don't do that, what do they do? (nothing).

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 January 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

At this point, I'm not sure what you're doing, Fup. Did you get the sense from my hyperbole above that I'm actually convinced this mech will be a top tier mech for MWO? Even given my last post, where I pointed to the XL175? Are you trying to educate me about the perils of driving a 90 kph light mech in MWO? You're going out of your way to point out the obvious. And to top it off, this semantic analysis of the word drawback, which doesn't even make any sense. What's going on?

I'm excited about the Cougar. I don't need anyone to point out the obvious. It's an F-15 crossed with an Adder, with an absurd amount of weapons for a mech its size. That's good enough for me.

I hate to say it bud, but as cool as the cougar is, (and the adder for that matter, which i much preferred), it suffers from the same problems the adder and kitfox suffer from, its a gunboat light, too slow for its weight.

If we could find a way to make lights with smaller engines work that would be awesome though. Imagine all the panthers, wolfhounds, kitfoxes, and adders we would see; mechs that normally have no place in the firestarter/artic cheetah knifefighter light meta, and rightly so, they were never meant to do those things.

Edited by pbiggz, 03 January 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#15 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostKnight Phaeton, on 03 January 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

There is no timeline so thanks, I support OP lets get the MAD CAT MK II

#16 LupineShadow

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

Timby Mk II...

Yes, because timeline. GAIZ WE HAVE TO STICK TO BTECH LORE BECAUSE TIME!

Because PGI clearly follows the lore.

Edited by LupineShadow, 03 January 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'm just puzzled as to how anyone can have so much excitement for something so mediocre. This game isn't just a museum to display and admire art pieces; those "art pieces" also have to fight against other vicious human players to the death in combat. Your mech doesn't look beautiful after it gets ripped apart by a giant alpha strike that it can't avoid...

There are several mechs of the same size or slightly smaller with an equal or greater amount of weapons, though...

---

If you really must have it, I will ask you to make a few promises:
1. It must have no quirks.
2. It must not get any hitbox adjustments after being patched in.
3. You cannot make posts about its viability on the forums.
4. You cannot make posts about people using "non-lore" builds on the mech.
5. Bonus: You get your PSR permanently hardlocked at Tier 1 while using this mech.

Do we have a deal? You did say it's good enough for you, right, so these shouldn't be any issue. Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 03 January 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#18 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 January 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

I'm just puzzled as to how anyone can have so much excitement for something so mediocre. This game isn't just a museum to display and admire art pieces; those "art pieces" also have to fight against other vicious human players to the death in combat. Your mech doesn't look beautiful after it gets ripped apart by a giant alpha strike that it can't avoid...

There are several mechs of the same size or slightly smaller with an equal or greater amount of weapons, though...

---

If you really must have it, I will ask you to make a few promises:
1. It must have no quirks.
2. It must not get any hitbox adjustments after being patched in.
3. You cannot make posts about its viability on the forums.
4. You cannot make posts about people using "non-lore" builds on the mech.
5. Bonus: You get your PSR permanently hardlocked at Tier 1 while using this mech.

Do we have a deal? You did say it's good enough for you, right, so these shouldn't be any issue. Posted Image

I should already be Tier 1 but I only have 1,300 ish games under my belt.

#19 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Not satisfied with the best Heavy in the Game, you now want an assault to emulate it ?

#20 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostCathy, on 03 January 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Not satisfied with the best Heavy in the Game, you now want an assault to emulate it ?

Is all you do follow imperius around to try to talk him down? You know that doesn't work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users