Advice To All New Assault Pilots

BattleMechs Gameplay General

34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Please remember to add armor to your brand new mechs.

It's really hilarious to see 4x Assaults without a leg from 2 LRM salvos.

The most memorable match was having a NARC jenner going for Assaults. The 4 went without legs just 2 mins into the game with 2 LRM salvos each. The rest of the match was a no brainer without armor to tank.

#2 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

In the Atlas, leg armor gets sacrificed to fit a bigger engine. Speed in MWO > Armor.

In the Dire, leg armor gets sacrificed to squeeze in extra heat sinks given the stupid low heat threshold they have to deal with given the potential weapons they can, and should, be able to employ.

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 06 January 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

In the Atlas, leg armor gets sacrificed to fit a bigger engine. Speed in MWO > Armor.

In the Dire, leg armor gets sacrificed to squeeze in extra heat sinks given the stupid low heat threshold they have to deal with given the potential weapons they can, and should, be able to employ.

Which is why I focus on the legs of an assault if it's still fresh. Especially when I'm in a light. Plus sometimes I get to watch a cool ammo explosion.

#4 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I go for the legs first thing if I see an Assault these days as more novice whales and crab comes off the factory line. However, I just can't stop laughing when I see a leg go off with 2 LRM salvos!

#5 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

I find it pretty pointless to go for legs in solo que unless I have the firepower to 1 or 2-shot the mech. I'll be calling out legs on coms and chat and pugs just shoot ct no matter how cored out the legs are and how fresh the torso is. F-ing pugs.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Posted Image

#7 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:29 AM

Yea don't skip leg day, rule applies to all classes.

Leg = max value.

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:39 AM

View Postsneeking, on 07 January 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Leg = max value.

On Light mechs and Medium mechs under 55 tons, I agree 100%.

On Heavies or Assaults, it seems like you could get away with removing approx. 15% of max armor in a pinch. If your heavy with 60 points of leg armor loses 15%, it still has 51 points of armor. That's pretty decent still IMO.

The worst is when a person has so little leg armor that one good shot practically strips all the armor off the leg. If I am fighting an enemy and it's leg goes from yellow armor to no armor almost instantly, I know where I'm shooting :).

#9 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:45 AM

Seems like, never tried it though..

Id skimp that 500kg from the windshield first...

#10 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, I've never subscribed to the "let's strip the legs of armor and _then_ place explosives in them" School of mechdesign myself. Legs get as close to max armor as I can reasonably get them in any mech I pilot, no matter the weightclass. :)

#11 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

View Postsneeking, on 07 January 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

Id skimp that 500kg from the windshield first...

Except when piloting a Marauder. I love how tanky the MAD is, but I've seriously never piloted another mech which suffers damage to its headarmor as often as that mech. Not enough to be a serious threat, so it's obviously mostly accidental damage, but enough that I've taken notice of it, so I'd keep as thick a windshield as possible on the ol' Marauder.

#12 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

View Postsneeking, on 07 January 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Leg = max value.

I disagree. Max value is not required, you do need a solid lets say 75-80% of mech's max. I never go full armor on legs and very very rarely get legged. Its a waste of tonnage.

If you don't want to go the % route ~45 armor points for heavies and about 50-60 for assaults is enough. I've experimented with this a lot and found this to be optimum for my playstyle. I literally never get legged unless I have bad luck and usually its the result of bad tactics.

Only mechs that get 100% leg armor are lights.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 07 January 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#13 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 07 January 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Except when piloting a Marauder..

Don't own one cant comment lol....

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 07 January 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Except when piloting a Marauder. I love how tanky the MAD is, but I've seriously never piloted another mech which suffers damage to its headarmor as often as that mech. Not enough to be a serious threat, so it's obviously mostly accidental damage, but enough that I've taken notice of it, so I'd keep as thick a windshield as possible on the ol' Marauder.

I can't say that I have noticed the head being any more vulnerable than most mechs. It is dead center though and the Marauder's "face tank" style of combat might increase it's risk of s headshot I suppose.

Now, the Catapult used to be real bad, but it is OK now. I still think the Hunchback's head is soft. I have died from losing the head in a Hunchback a few times. I have also died from being beheaded in a Timber Wolf as well (two consecutive hits to the head. To this day I'm not sure if it was luck, skill, or cheating).

I've heard the Cataphract has an easy to hit head too, but I have never been headshot in one.

#15 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 07 January 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

Yeah, I've never subscribed to the "let's strip the legs of armor and _then_ place explosives in them" School of mechdesign myself.

The chance of ammo explosions is so ludicrously small you literally never ever have to account for it when building mechs. Never. I died to ammo explosions like 2 times... during the last 3 years. It simply doesn't happen.

#16 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

Low leg armor is okay in puglandia. The times they get shot off is really rare that the benefits outweigh the penalties in the long run of grinding space monies. I'm sometimes down to 33+/- leg armor on things that are heavy and below. Assaults I go down to 50+/-

Edited by Elizander, 07 January 2016 - 05:32 AM.

#17 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 06 January 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

I find it cute how you use the word speed in relation to Atlas. Especially how you thing any speed an Atlas can reach ever translates into armor.

#18 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

I know whose legs to shoot first now thanks to this thread.

#19 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 07 January 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

I find it cute how you use the word speed in relation to Atlas. Especially how you thing any speed an Atlas can reach ever translates into armor.

This, and the last thing you ever want is to be stomping around in a legged Atlas. It is not a fun experience.

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 07 January 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Bigger engine still equates into ramped up twisting speed. Dropping a couple tons of leg armor when you almost never get legged in anything heavier than a medium really isn't an issue for the sake of being able to more effectively spread damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users