#161 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 07 January 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Those were indeed epic battles in the early days and weeks of CW, the scale of which will probably never be seen again. Someone actually calculated that over 12,000 mechs were destroyed on Wazan this time last year, which is probably a low figure. It was that intense---full-on Marik vs. Davion.

After that first map wipe, I think a lot of people lost interested in CW...

#162 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Is at its finest.

#163 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostAlec Braca, on 07 January 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

Um Hell yeah I fully support this and will bring this up higher. Would you mind messaging me on how you would construct your campaign ribbons and or some document format you used to record if any? I think this will give some people focus up north.

Since I'm not the guy who does them, I will pass this on to those that do if they haven't read this already. :)

#164 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:56 AM

View PostTesunie, on 07 January 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

After that first map wipe, I think a lot of people lost interested in CW...

So true. Many of those people, left the game and never came back.

#165 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostJavenri, on 08 January 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

So true. Many of those people, left the game and never came back.

I don't think they necessarily left the game, just that game mode.

And as much as I hated that map reset myself, I can see the necessity of it. The map is no fun when one faction controls it all (hypothetically speaking).

#166 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostTesunie, on 08 January 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

And as much as I hated that map reset myself, I can see the necessity of it. The map is no fun when one faction controls it all (hypothetically speaking).

I don't think people would have mind if they had introduced a fix to that and then reset it. But the first two reset did nothing. Hopefully the reset with "phase 3" will be worth it.

They'll also need to think of a way to keep people playing the game once a faction does control most the map in general. Just relying on resets once someone starts winning will make CW even that much more pointless.

#167 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 08 January 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

I don't think people would have mind if they had introduced a fix to that and then reset it. But the first two reset did nothing. Hopefully the reset with "phase 3" will be worth it.

They'll also need to think of a way to keep people playing the game once a faction does control most the map in general. Just relying on resets once someone starts winning will make CW even that much more pointless.

The second reset was for Steam release. I can understand that.

But yeah, they really can't keep resetting it every time a faction starts to win. They need to come up with something... else. Don't ask me what, but something.

#168 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostTesunie, on 08 January 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

The second reset was for Steam release. I can understand that.

But yeah, they really can't keep resetting it every time a faction starts to win. They need to come up with something... else. Don't ask me what, but something.

Make it into 3-4 month seasons. Control the attack corridors during the season to make sure the map doesn't look like this again and all those problems are solved with no extra work really needed :)

#169 Zerex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 298 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

The only other time i have played a game with a real dynamic map was on Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact, that was a 8 week rotation,no matter who was winning how much ground had been gained or if it was panning out as a draw, the map/war was reset every 8 weeks, if you know that and go into knowing that it seems fine, i knew the map would have to be reset every few months for CW and i went in totally at ease with.

CW is meant to (aiming to be) the end game content for players, like raids in MMORPG's, and the battle of Tukayyid is the end content for Units (communities) in CW, with rankings, win/lose stats and banners and ribbons for top units. If you're not part of a unit when the battle of Tukayyid comes around, your kind of missing the point and a lot of the fun of it

Edited by Zerex, 08 January 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#170 InvisibleJim

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Fix CW with these 10 neat tricks...

Expand it beyond 'capture this base' 12vs12 gamemode. - Landing missions, Attack convoy missions, City control
Attacks on 'AI' VIPs guarded by players
Taking major planets should take weeks of warfare, attacking subplanets and installations, and the 'progress' should flip.
Different weights and different numbers of combatants for different classes of battle
'Pay to drop' and payed for results from coffers of the 'state' you fight for - which can be cashed in for 'regular' credits, or special bonuses
More weight and pay for dedicated units, but the ability for the 'state' to hire and fire mercs to attack 'behind enemy lines'
Faction specific mechs and (weapons?)
Ability to elect the 'general' who decides invasion corridors
Ability for groups of units to get together and form faction councils and elect who leads for the next weeks or months.
Irregular batchall events : Clans attack, mercs attack, inner sphere 'warzone' with increased tonnages, focus on 'intense' multiman warfare; I'm thinking 36 vs 36, but everyone only gets one mech; with big rewards when the factions succeed: e.g. a unit 'overwhelmingly and successfully defends Thukkayid' and get your own 'princedom aka. Outreach' which gives bonuses to income and drop tonnages; displease the faction where it is? Have to defend it.

Also: Dropshops OP

Edited by InvisibleJim, 08 January 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#171 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostZerex, on 08 January 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

The only other time i have played a game with a real dynamic map was on Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact, that was a 8 week rotation,no matter who was winning how much ground had been gained or if it was panning out as a draw, the map/war was reset every 8 weeks, if you know that and go into knowing that it seems fine, i knew the map would have to be reset every few months for CW and i went in totally at ease with.

The original Heavy Gear had that but, since all the warfare was on one planet, it moved kinda fast. ;-)

The only problem with 8 week resets is that units that like to write fluffy lore stories to celebrate what they did would have their lore reset 6 times. I can only write so many 3050 stories. Posted Image

#172 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

8 week scheduled resets would destroy continuity in this game. Why do anything lore based if it will all be reset in a few weeks? Yearly resets? Maybe... I dunno, but much longer than 8 weeks. It's bad enough we have 3 ceasefires a day.

#173 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

it could be like it was in EVE.... timers everywhere to gain a single system. like, constant pvp for a week for one bloody system :D
u dont want that.....
SBU*s, infrastucture hub's, stations, territory control units....
do that for 4 systems and you really get mad especially if one timer failed :D or the SBU's been destroyed... yes you needed those to even ATTACK the system.

it could be alot worse... really.

#174 Zerex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 298 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 January 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

8 week scheduled resets would destroy continuity in this game. Why do anything lore based if it will all be reset in a few weeks? Yearly resets? Maybe... I dunno, but much longer than 8 weeks. It's bad enough we have 3 ceasefires a day.

I'm not saying it should be 8 weeks for a reset, i'm just saying that's how it was in Steel Battalion: LOC, i'm more than happy with 5-6 months between resets, gives everyone time to build allies and enemies, stories forged and so forth.

#175 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image

#176 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

We shall see your war and reclassify it as a police action. Operation Flaming Sword is now underway.

#177 Zerex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 298 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 January 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

We shall see your war and reclassify it as a police action. Operation Flaming Sword is now underway.

If this is about the fighting on Gan Singh, i have been to the front lines to see for myself this morning.
There was indeed fighting but i have to say, they were turned and crushed too easily for it to be a real operation or of greater plan. If that was the best you have to send, you will crash against Liao like a wave against a mountain.

#178 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

View PostZerex, on 09 January 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

If this is about the fighting on Gan Singh, i have been to the front lines to see for myself this morning.
There was indeed fighting but i have to say, they were turned and crushed too easily for it to be a real operation or of greater plan. If that was the best you have to send, you will crash against Liao like a wave against a mountain.

What Kjudoon is saying is it is not a declaration of war ... just trying to get our world count back to where it was before we lost 8. Posted Image

And, totally in jest, Zerex ... it's like when we first dropped on Zion tonight with almost two battalions of mechs ... no enemies. Now I understand your frustration.

It was our first time to fight against Liao pilots and, as far as tactics and piloting goes ... I say that you are every bit as good as the Davions. I am looking forward to more of our border skirmishes. Posted Image

#179 Zerex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 298 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:21 AM

View PostAlex Reed, on 09 January 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

What Kjudoon is saying is it is not a declaration of war ... just trying to get our world count back to where it was before we lost 8. Posted Image

And, totally in jest, Zerex ... it's like when we first dropped on Zion tonight with almost two battalions of mechs ... no enemies. Now I understand your frustration.

It was our first time to fight against Liao pilots and, as far as tactics and piloting goes ... I say that you are every bit as good as the Davions. I am looking forward to more of our border skirmishes. Posted Image

The larger plan (as far as this highly paid merc knows) is to retake the Liao system, with the attack on Zion an now Gan Singh, you might not see it as an act of war, but you have put yourself right in the way of Liao's goal.

#180 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

You know... You are really sucking the fun out of this by acting all serious. You got a propaganda officer there we can direct future rhetoric bluster and sabre rattling to? Someone who can get into character and play?

This is how we roll down here. No Mr. Sour puss and grumpy face.

Keep it happy... Keep it snappy... Keep it gaaaaaaayyyyy.... :) :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users